Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just mated trans and engine with wuestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
On my 74. Took a bit of persuasion, but bolts and case tightened up. Trans is in nuetral , can I assume spline mated correctly?
brant
if the gap closed.. and the bolts tightened... it has to be in the splines
NARP74
Don't use the bolts to close the gap if it does not go by itself. Great way to break a tab off. Could you close the gap just by pressing it together?
rosenfe
What tab are you describing
rosenfe
No I could not close by pressing. Doe trans need to be in gear to be able to rotate?
rosenfe
What I meant was does trans need to be in gear when mating, to allow for spline rotation and fit
914e
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 27 2022, 12:52 PM) *

What I meant was does trans need to be in gear when mating, to allow for spline rotation and fit

If you trying to get the input shaft to rotate from the output shafts yes it has to be in gear, and you have to turn both output shafts otherwise you are just turning the other output in the opposite direction though the differential.
Montreal914
Clutch disc not concentric in the flywheel? confused24.gif
targa72e
Concur If you cant push it together by hand realign the disk with tool and try again. If you forced it by bolting things down you might be lucky and not have damaged anything and get try again. ... otherwise might have a pile of stromberg.gif

john
rosenfe
Should trans be in gear to all better alignment while turning flanges?
bbrock
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 28 2022, 07:17 AM) *

Should trans be in gear to all better alignment while turning flanges?

Doesn't matter as far as I've seen.
friethmiller
I recommend pulling it back apart and trying again. Check the clutch plate alignment (and other recommendations listed here). It should go together without using the bolts.
rosenfe
I’m going to take your advice and pull it apart. Start over
rosenfe
Separated trans from engine, no damage. It really wasn’t seated all the way. Reinstalled closely paying attention to lower bolts and it slid right in. So glad that I reinstss as led, now I don’t have to worry about the trans. Plus it was just rebuilt
rosenfe
Thanks for all the good advice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.