Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repairing a Repair ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
Have a drivers front repair that is a lap repair.
What would be the best way ? Pull it all out or make a 1/32" cut between the two parts ?

Click to view attachment
914GTSTI
Ok.
Thanks
nathanxnathan
Isn't that always how it is, someone makes a "repair" and it messes up everything around it. There are rare cases, and I'm always surprised when I find some small evidence that a repair has been done and properly. In this case it's inevitable that dirt and moisture will gather between the layers there.

I wonder what it's doing there. What does the top look like?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jul 28 2022, 10:03 PM) *

What would be the best way ?

The proper way is pull it all out, clean any corrosion that is inevitably between the panels and repair properly with new metal and butt weld.
Front yard mechanic
I think I’m looking at the front? Passenger side? What does the top side look like. Is the whole clip done or just the corner. It can be saved welder.gif
SirAndy
So many questions ...
unsure.gif
Cairo94507
The last thing anyone wants is to spend lots of time and money getting a car ready for paint and then after color, a couple years go by and poor prep rears its ugly head. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
totally agree

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 29 2022, 02:31 AM) *

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jul 28 2022, 10:03 PM) *

What would be the best way ?

The proper way is pull it all out, clean any corrosion that is inevitably between the panels and repair properly with new metal and butt weld.

Puebloswatcop
Wow, I'm not sure I'd even call that a repair, looks more like a brush with suicide if what I am seeing is where the shock mounts. I would probably try to access an entire inner fender so you can cut it back to good metal and the butt weld it. If it is what I am seeing , just make sure you make very precise measurements, so you can set the camber after the repair is done.
bkrantz
Just a guess based on one photo, but to do it right might mean detaching the outer fender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.