Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked up a parts car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lesorubcheek
I imagine some other members here noticed the facebook ad for a 914 in Hogansville Georgia for the past month or so. Actually, I was going to add it's VIN into the database and found it was already there, with a fairly accurate description, so someone obviously knows about the car. The seller said it had a good windshield, and ours has a crack, so thought why not! This could be a good parts car. It had 911 front struts on it, fender flares on one side, so it looked like the previous owner had plans of putting a 6 in it and who knows what we may find, so decided to take the drive up and see what it was all about.

The car had no wheels/tires and the right rear didn't even have the swing arm. I brought a pair of cookie cutters with old tires to mount on the front so we could at least roll it if the rear could be lifted. The fun began when we found the steering locked and cocked slightly to the right and of course no key. I was able to remove the steering U joint, so problem solved. There was no engine or trans, so the car was relatively light. The seller lifted the rear using an extension mounted on the rear of his van and with a little careful maneuvering it was rolled up onto a uhaul trailer.

Here's a few pics.
Click to view attachment
No lights and the floor is cut out from previous AC install, but the gas tank appears solid and no bad rust on the upper sections of the body.

Click to view attachment
Lots of fun here. No plans to restore this car, but the seller included multiple new factory parts that may come in handy on our car. Just hope it's not as bad as this one.

Click to view attachment
This was a very pleasant surprise. Turns out the struts are 3.5", so now we have a set of 3" and 3.5" for lots of brake options. Also the adjustable sway bar was a nice bonus.

It was a fun trip and think it was definitely worth the drive. Best part was meeting some very nice people. Now just have to get all the ducks in a row to get started on our car's restoration.

Dan
flyer86d
Looks like an H&H front sway bar! Someone was improving that car at one time.

Charlie
930cabman
Assuming the price was right and your wife won't hang you out to dry, hats off. We never seem to have enough parts

Engine or trans? Interior bits
mepstein
Are the flares glass or steel?
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jul 31 2022, 05:13 AM) *

Looks like an H&H front sway bar! Someone was improving that car at one time.

Charlie

Yes, and really a shame that he couldn't finish it. Sounds like he was retired from the Air Force and enjoying himself with lots of project cars. Not sure when he passed away, the seller didn't elaborate and I didn't feel like prying, but always like to show respect for what someone else had in their dreams.
My son and I picked up a riding mower a few years ago with a Briggs opposed twin that the previous owner, who had passed away, had planned to turn into a racing mower. We tried to do it justice by finishing the job. Current pulleys will go 30 mph which isn't as fast as the true racers, but plenty fast for the boy to have fun. Added a push button starter, horn and a light switch with parking lights and headlights. Just wish I could persuade my son to get into 914s. He's too stuck on resto-mods and diesel trucks. Maybe one day.

Dan
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 31 2022, 06:54 AM) *

Assuming the price was right and your wife won't hang you out to dry, hats off. We never seem to have enough parts

Engine or trans? Interior bits

Actually my wife went along for the ride! We all had fun, especially meeting nice people there. We stopped at an Ingles market after loading it up and a man pulled up and started asking about it. He had some good stories of a friend of his that was into restoring C1 and C2 Corvettes.

No engine or trans. Here's a dash pic.
Click to view attachment

The seats are in very good shape with just a few cracks here and there. The radio is a Simpsons-Sears AM/FM with CB. Need to see if it will work. No plans for using it, but it's kinda neat. He also threw in a set of 911 doors and there's original Porsche front end sheet metal and a lower section under the battery.

Dan
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2022, 08:21 AM) *

Are the flares glass or steel?

They're steel, but only on the right side. He thought he had the ones for the left, but turned out they were 911 flares. I'm still 50/50 on whether to flare ours or leave it as is. Flares do look nice, but the clean lines have something going for them too. If nothing else, I can cut them off and someone may use them one day if theirs gets damaged.

Dan
rgalla9146

The temp/pressure gauge is from a 911, plus the front struts, fuel level and
two steel flares add up to 1/3rd of a GT !
Build that car !
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 31 2022, 01:12 PM) *

The temp/pressure gauge is from a 911, plus the front struts, fuel level and
two steel flares add up to 1/3rd of a GT !
Build that car !

It's tempting, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's only parts for my car. There is something tempting about having 2 914s though. drooley.gif

Dan
Al Meredith
Hay DAN, let me know where you are in Florida . Looks like it may be just South of GA. I'm in Atlanta and make several trips a year to FL and could deliver any big parts you may need. I'm rebuilding a 2056 for a fellow teener now and plan to start on a 1911 in a month or so, if that would help your project. You my want to check out Okteenerfest our once a year outing in Tenn. This year Sept 15-18 . Al
lesorubcheek
Started stripping out a few odds and ends yesterday and one thing was the steering column. I'd searched around about removing the ignition lock cylinder in the case where there's no key. Found several good verbal descriptions but no pics or video, so decided to at least post a few pics if anyone else needs to do it and it's not clear. This car is a '74, and it sounds like later cars are different.
After removing the wiper/turn signal stalks, remove the 2 screws that hold the retaining cover.
Click to view attachment

Here's the magic hole.
Click to view attachment

All you need to do is insert and press with a hard stiff object (OK, this is going the wrong way) while pulling on the lock cylinder. If it's stuck you can pry with a little screwdriver.
Click to view attachment

Doesn't need much lift before the retaining spring is clear and then it'll lift out.
Click to view attachment

Here's the spring loaded slider that moves for releasing the column lock.
Click to view attachment

Press it outwards while lifting up and the ignition switch body will slide out.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and that's pretty much it.
Click to view attachment

Dan
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 31 2022, 01:35 PM) *

Hay DAN, let me know where you are in Florida . Looks like it may be just South of GA. I'm in Atlanta and make several trips a year to FL and could deliver any big parts you may need. I'm rebuilding a 2056 for a fellow teener now and plan to start on a 1911 in a month or so, if that would help your project. You my want to check out Okteenerfest our once a year outing in Tenn. This year Sept 15-18 . Al

Thanks Al! We're primarily in Panama City Fl, but the car is up at my parents farm in Bama which we visit frequently. Thanks for the offer. Haven't started tearing into my car yet, so not sure how bad it's going to be. Plan is to put a 2.4 six in it that's from a '73 911E project that just isn't ever gonna get off the ground. I've had my 914 since 1980, and it's my dream to get her running again. It's 2.0 was fun but always dreamed of having a 6 in her. Just have several logistical items to overcome before I can get a good start working on it. Hopefully soon.

Dan
nditiz1
Awesome! It is pretty sweet having more than 1 914 even if the other is a parts car, even better if the parts car could become a driver again. Sadly my parts car cannot, rust too far gone.

How good in shape are those 911 doors? I need some for my gutted racecar to turn back to regular doors.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 31 2022, 11:53 PM) *

Awesome! It is pretty sweet having more than 1 914 even if the other is a parts car, even better if the parts car could become a driver again. Sadly my parts car cannot, rust too far gone.

How good in shape are those 911 doors? I need some for my gutted racecar to turn back to regular doors.

It's definitely a good feeling! Tons of parts. Looks like there may even be at least one 914/6 rear caliper sitting in the trunk. Haven't dug through everything yet, so hoping there's a pair.

The 911 doors are actually only the inner sections of the doors with the outer shells removed. I have new factory outer shells that I'd bought about 20 years ago in prep for restoring the '73 911. They are very clean though. Haven't decided yet what I'm gonna do with the 911, so for now probably plan to hang on to them.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.