Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2023: Petaluma? I'll coordinate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
With a successful WCR 2022 in the rear view (HUGE thanks Eddy! @sb914 ), I figured we may as well start thinking about next year. Yes, 2020 was in Petaluma but we did sorta, partial SCAL in 2021 at Paso Robles and sorta, kinda PacNW being in Oregon this year so...

I certainly don't want to step on any toes and if the SCAL crew wants to claim it for 2023, I'd support that. But if not, @buddyv Robert, @markhoward Mark (yes, I'm volunteering you!) and I would be happy to pull together a Petaluma-based event. We've even noodled up a few pretty cool ideas that I'm sure you all would love.

We know the hotel situation works, I'd happily host a casual afternoon/evening event at the Red Barn, and we have enough great roads that we could do completely different drives from the 2020 event. Maybe we can get that awesome start location at Live Oak Farm again, too...

Anyway, let's hear what you all think so if it is decided that Petaluma is a go, we can get started. Thanks!
BuddyV
I am 100% interested in assisting if this happens. I have some great ideas based on our 2020 WCR experience.

beerchug.gif
76-914
Sounds good to me. Too much traffic near LA & SD. That leaves a small area where we could congregate comfortably in the summer. Go for it Chris. beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 31 2022, 06:04 PM) *

Sounds good to me. Too much traffic near LA & SD. That leaves a small area where we could congregate comfortably in the summer. Go for it Chris. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
Unless we did streets of willow again, so cal on the weekend is more trouble than it’s worth. I would love to help, but I still work full time. Nor cal, is so much prettier anyway.
markhoward
Glad to help make it happen. Petaluma 2023!
second wind
A little more south please....
gg
ConeDodger
A decade or so back, we did Rohnert Park. It wasn’t entirely uneventful. One person nearly arrested. Taken to another hotel after he pissed off a bartender inside the hotel after last call. He was given a few minutes in the morning to load his 914 on his trailer and head back to SoCal.
Great drive! @Roadglue led one that headed toward the Ocean. There was another that was more inland. Organizer was @McMark . My wife got angry because I wanted to hang out in the parking lot. I think the fact that I sent her to the spa with a credit card is the reason we are still married. blink.gif
I remember a couple years back, that area was on fire and people were just commuting like ‘hey, it’s Tuesday’ NBD!
I was going to suggest Tahoe III but Petaluma works. Especially now that Chris is retired and taken up kitten ranching! biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Sounds good, if we could do an autocross it would be awesome. If not im still in.
You can count on 914Rubber and myself to help out.
Mark
DennisV
What would be the dates? I am in Santa Rosa and working on getting a 914-6 back on the road. I was targeting to get it going in time to drive it to Porsche Parade June 18-24, 2023 in Palm Springs.

I would probably drop in at the meet up point even if the car isn't ready, just to get more engaged with the 914 crowd. Assuming it's OK if I show up in my 991. I understand if I need to park off to the side.
Cairo94507
I am down for Petaluma 2023. Great roads and much less traffic than anything in the Bay Area or down south. beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
sb914
Seattle.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 1 2022, 05:02 AM) *

Seattle.

Eddie, just tell me when you want to come up here and I’ll organize some drives. I’m sure we can find some local guys to join in. Even have a spare bedroom
rhodyguy
No, please, not Seattle. Last week was an example. For those unaware, truck on fire hauling tanks/bottles of liquid oxygen that started exploding shut down I-5 for hours causing total grid lock. 90*+ and cars stuck in traffic started running out of fuel. Then a ferry boat crashed into a terminal.
76-914
Hearst area is a little more south?
Jack Standz
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 1 2022, 12:38 PM) *

A decade or so back, we did Rohnert Park. It wasn’t entirely uneventful. One person nearly arrested. Taken to another hotel after he pissed off a bartender inside the hotel after last call. He was given a few minutes in the morning to load his 914 on his trailer and head back to SoCal.
Great drive! @Roadglue led one that headed toward the Ocean. There was another that was more inland. Organizer was @McMark . My wife got angry because I wanted to hang out in the parking lot. I think the fact that I sent her to the spa with a credit card is the reason we are still married. blink.gif
I remember a couple years back, that area was on fire and people were just commuting like ‘hey, it’s Tuesday’ NBD!
I was going to suggest Tahoe III but Petaluma works. Especially now that Chris is retired and taken up kitten ranching! biggrin.gif

We'll second Lake Tahoe (as long as it's not during winter).
914Toy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 1 2022, 06:31 AM) *

Good compromise beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Tahoe was awesome, I'd pass on Seattle proper, however,
Leavenworth is cool too.

https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/blog/leav...in-the-cascades

It really is up to who ever takes the reigns and puts this together. They have to do the heavy lifting and if it's logistically not possible, they have to balance the good of the event / turnout with what they can do. Typically this means keeping it somewhat local to them to set things up. I did The Dalles, Or and coordinated the visit to the Grass valley race track (with drive), and meeting up with our VW cousins during a drive through Maupin, Or. It took considerably more effort to put together than if it were closer to me.

So really it's about who wants to put together the event. Chris is wiling so the question really is, is there anyone else that wants to organize and put together the event? This has been the determining factor on where these have been held for some time.

tygaboy
QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 1 2022, 05:28 AM) *

What would be the dates? I am in Santa Rosa and working on getting a 914-6 back on the road. I was targeting to get it going in time to drive it to Porsche Parade June 18-24, 2023 in Palm Springs.

I would probably drop in at the meet up point even if the car isn't ready, just to get more engaged with the 914 crowd. Assuming it's OK if I show up in my 991. I understand if I need to park off to the side.

@DennisV - Dates tbd but we always look to avoid conflicting with other events that folks may want to attend.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 1 2022, 08:49 AM) *

Tahoe was awesome, I'd pass on Seattle proper, however,
Leavenworth is cool too.

https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/blog/leav...in-the-cascades

It really is up to who ever takes the reigns and puts this together. They have to do the heavy lifting and if it's logistically not possible, they have to balance the good of the event / turnout with what they can do. Typically this means keeping it somewhat local to them to set things up. I did The Dalles, Or and coordinated the visit to the Grass valley race track (with drive), and meeting up with our VW cousins during a drive through Maupin, Or. It took considerably more effort to put together than if it were closer to me.

So really it's about who wants to put together the event. Chris is wiling so the question really is, is there anyone else that wants to organize and put together the event? This has been the determining factor on where these have been held for some time.

@Mikey914 - Thanks for calling this out, I was about to post this same sort of thing: I'm happy to coordinate it if it's local to me. And this is clearly a "you can't please all of the people..."

So, about this as a next step:
If you're willing to coordinate the event, please post the location you're suggesting. We set a deadline (maybe a couple weeks out) and then have a vote.

If no one else steps up, Petaluma it is. Does that work for us?
Mikey914
I think this sounds reasonable. The key to a good event is preparation, the site selection once you have an area, and building drives / things for the event. These take time.

Perhaps a coordination thread calling all so that everyone has a shot?

cali914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 1 2022, 12:23 AM) *

Sounds good, if we could do an autocross it would be awesome. If not im still in.
You can count on 914Rubber and myself to help out.
Mark

agree.gif
tygaboy
agree.gif
I've already started working on an auto cross location. No promises, but I'm trying.
SirAndy

Wasn't that the one near the beach with the clouds (literally) of mosquitos moving in at sunset?
icon8.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2022, 03:23 PM) *

Wasn't that the one near the beach with the clouds (literally) of mosquitos moving in at sunset?
icon8.gif

Yes. Literally San Simeon California.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2022, 11:23 AM) *

icon8.gif

Just throwing another alternative in the mix since someone complained too far north. IIRC, it was close to the beach but evidently the Mosquitos didn't get my attention. poke.gif I hear they're attracted to sunscreen, large umbrellas's and thrones. evilgrin.gif
914Toy
I vote for the Hearst general area. Beautiful drives and less traffic (?).
tygaboy
OK, so no surprise, the SoCal folks seem interested in the San Simeon area.

What's needed is someone to volunteer to coordinate it.

If we can get someone to step up, we can hold a vote.

As was suggested, I'll set up a new thread where we solicit for locations/coordinators, see what we get and take it from there.

I will say (in support of Petaluma) this morning I spoke with the folks at Sonoma Raceway about maybe partnering with an existing track day event where we can set up an autocross course in the back paddocks and also get a paced parade lap at lunch.
Again, no promises as I'm still working on what's possible and what it might cost.

I only point this out because if we are doing it here, Robert, Mark and I are going to try and pull off some super cool stuff like this and we'll need all the time we can get. I apologize if I'm getting ahead of myself - we just want this to be an EPIC WCR.

Please look for the new thread. Thanks.
willieg
Tygaboy
If we end up in Petaluma, I would be more than happy to do signage. To the Red Barn, Autocross, dinner? My daughter just got married and I am a fledgling wannabe sign artiste.
Tonyooc
We need to do something in the Midwest and get all of the annual events in one location to bring as many 914s together at once.
tygaboy
QUOTE(willieg @ Aug 2 2022, 11:09 AM) *

Tygaboy
If we end up in Petaluma, I would be more than happy to do signage. To the Red Barn, Autocross, dinner? My daughter just got married and I am a fledgling wannabe sign artiste.

Bill - If it's here, I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks for being @willieg , er, willing to help! happy11.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 2 2022, 11:10 AM) *

We need to do something in the Midwest and get all of the annual events in one location to bring as many 914s together at once.

It's a big country, so don't expect to ever get all the annual events in one location. There have been midwest events, as well as other regions. I hope to go to an RRC (Red Rocks). This topic is about the WCR gathering (WC=West Coast).

Set up a rally in your area and see if it grows. aktion035.gif
Rand
Chris. Don't do this. Or be prepared for 10,000,000 beyond what you expected. I will help if I can but what xyz would want most, does not matter when you are overwhellllllmmmmmmed with....... The logistics are larger than you know or what you want to know to pull off what you are thinking.
second wind
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 31 2022, 03:52 PM) *

With a successful WCR 2022 in the rear view (HUGE thanks Eddy! @sb914 ), I figured we may as well start thinking about next year. Yes, 2020 was in Petaluma but we did sorta, partial SCAL in 2021 at Paso Robles and sorta, kinda PacNW being in Oregon this year so...

I certainly don't want to step on any toes and if the SCAL crew wants to claim it for 2023, I'd support that. But if not, @buddyv Robert, @markhoward Mark (yes, I'm volunteering you!) and I would be happy to pull together a Petaluma-based event. We've even noodled up a few pretty cool ideas that I'm sure you all would love.

We know the hotel situation works, I'd happily host a casual afternoon/evening event at the Red Barn, and we have enough great roads that we could do completely different drives from the 2020 event. Maybe we can get that awesome start location at Live Oak Farm again, too...

Anyway, let's hear what you all think so if it is decided that Petaluma is a go, we can get started. Thanks!

Hello Tygaboy....I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm and Lord knows I commend you for offering to do the next WCR....you are hugely generous!! I am just thinking letting all of the confetti land before organizing the next parade. I understand I may just be a jerk here and have no skin in the game....but I am hoping for more pictures and stories from WCR 2022 before we all jump to the next chapter. Also we have Rennsport next year so maybe there is a combo event possible? Big picture once again I honor your generosity and offer and I still admire my trophy you made from a couple years ago....all the best always!!!
gg
jim_hoyland
You might read the WCR 2005 planning thread; Howard did a great job and had at least 6 fully engaged volunteers.
RoadGlue
Sorry, late to the game here. I'd love to help if it's back in Petaluma/Sonoma County. I really enjoy making tours, but I'd like nearly full control of that responsibility, from finding and scouting to delivering the written tour directions. Last time around (which was awesome!) there were too many people sharing that role and it caused some minor issues. I'm really detailed oriented and I love seeing tours through from start to finish.

Cheers!
Mikey914
Yes this is best. Think of it as you are the captain of the ship. It makes it easier for you to not get into a situation where you may not be able to do something well. There are many of us supporters that are happy to crew the vessel, we may make suggestions, but ultimately it's the Captain that makes the decision. However, a good captain will seek input. Something we refer to as CRM Crew resource management.

BTW I'm onboard regardless.
BuddyV
For what it's worth -

I am the very first person that Chris talked to regarding hosting a future WCR (whether it's next year or whenever...) From his first sentence, Chris mentioned including our entire North Bay crew to make it epic.

So...... if it happens here (Petaluma / Infineon Raceway / whatever)..... it will be well-coordinated and epic and worth a drive to attend.

Nothing Chris "Tygaboy" does is average..... and any World member within 100 miles would do anything they can to follow his lead and make the event a team effort.

Whew! Had to let that out.....

Now back to pondering the memories of WCR 2022, Brookings Oregon...... did I mention that I encountered around 20 Elk on the highway on my drive home. Like..... BLOCKING THE HIGHWAY?

Life is good. I am in next year..... wherever WCR happens.

beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Missed Brookings, will not miss the 2023 WCR. Knowing Chris, Robert, Mark, etc., I am quite sure this will be another epic WCR with great food, drives and meeting spots.

Now if Chris get that Ferrari motor in that new chassis, well that's just icing on the cake. driving.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 8 2022, 01:39 PM) *

Missed Brookings, will not miss the 2023 WCR. Knowing Chris, Robert, Mark, etc., I am quite sure this will be another epic WCR with great food, drives and meeting spots.

Now if Chris get that Ferrari motor in that new chassis, well that's just icing on the cake. driving.gif

@Cairo94507 "If"? IF?
Oh ye of little faith...
We need to start some sort of betting pool on if I'll have the F-NARP running for WCR 2023. Not finished, but running, safely drivable and able to participate in the event.
I'm betting that I will. Who wants to bet against me - and at what odds? poke.gif happy11.gif shades.gif
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Yeah, good point. I would not take that bet because we all know what you can do when left to your own devices. smile.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.