Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I live next to a car guy.....sort off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So I was wrenching away on my car in my new garage (yay, I have a damn garge now!) when my neighbor from the end of my building walks by and starts asking me about my car. He asked what year and type and when I told him he said, "Hey, I have a 73 2.0 914." I was like, "Finally, I can be one of those fortunate people to live right next door to a 914 guy (Don T was really close at my last house though)." The neighbor goes on to explain that him and his buddy own the 914 together and that they were doing a full resto on it and that it had just gotten out of paint a few days ago. He said that he had just gotten the new leather for the sail panels (WTF?) and that his car was one of only 90 made at the factory to accept A/C. I tacktfully (yes I can be tacktfull) explained to him that no 914s were made with the A/C and that it was a dealer installed option only. He protetsted and I reassured him that I knew something about these cars. He then asked me what his car was worth (sight un seen). I told him that it was hard to tell and started going in to details about what would make it worth more. I said that having A/C installed wouldpossibly detract from the value, but in the end it all depends on the buyer. He then said that the A/C was not instaled, but that the car was manufactured special so that the A/C could be installed.....more education for him ensued. While I was going over what things his car should have; swaybars, center gauge cluster, etc. he interrupted me and said, "Ya ya, I am only interested in the money. How much is it worth? Dollar signs?" This guy reminded me of Blotto (?), the creature from Tatooine that had Aniken's mother as a slave. Well, my positive feelings waned at this new developement. I started quoting him prices all over the board and explaining that concourse was the way to go if he were just resotring it, and that to do such would be expensive and need to be spot on to command a high price. I told him that he should stick to American iron and that the only way to make a little money restoring 914s was to start out with a lot and work your way down. He seemed unhappy with the info that I was giving him. I think that the highest number I gave him was $15K for a nicely restored (painted, rust fixed, no accidents, etc.) and $5-7 for a "nice" one. He acted as if he had put about $7-10k worth of work into it (paying shops). He also struck me as the kind of guy to skimp on the labor to save a few $$$.

To top it all off, I find out that this guy is the dusch bag that has been stealing my parking place mad.gif My complex allows you ONLY 3 spaces; garage, infornt of garage, and one next to garage. There is NO more parking in the whole complex other than these three spaces. This ass has 5 cars as he is a flipper. I think that I have rectified the problem, though. I have not allowed him to park in my spot, and I will deffiently be saying something if he does it again.

Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be. rolleyes.gif
balljoint
He'll sell it to some poor unsuspecting wretch, who will run into the usual problems associated with gluing leather to the outside of cars unsure.gif , and find his way to this site, where his life will truly be ruined forever. smile.gif

Lots of good 914 owners just over your new closest international border. Do you speak Canadian? You might be able to replicate your previous SoCal sideline. ohmy.gif
Dr Evil
Man, I wish I could have done business with CA instead. I was having to cross the busiest US border at San Ysidro all of the time. That and TJ is a hole dry.gif
mihai914
Sounds like a 911 wannabee! Gotta love people who think they know it all and don't listen to others. And on top of that he's a parking spot snatcher. mad.gif

I think he qualifies as a stromberg.gif

I'm surprised he didn't tell you that his rust bucket was way better than your rust free -6
Katmanken
With a fine outstanding gentleman like that...

I'd keep my garage locked at all times.

Never know if he would be a parts snatcher too....

Hmmm... His parts look better than mine..... idea.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Ken
mack914
Dr.-good to here you have settled in and once again experiencing the perils of meeting new neighbors. Always nice to have a roof over car especially in January. Keep use posted on the rear view mirror modification.
Mack chatsmiley.gif
Dr Evil
He was deffiently not in the know because he had to ask what my car was wacko.gif He didn't even know it was a 914.
rick 918-S
Lock your garage!
RON S.
He's a typical example of a checkbook mechanic.

He spends big bucks getting other people to do all the work on the car,and then goes to a car show and tells everyone that'll listen,what he did to it. dry.gif

All the while,standing there in his pressed khaki shorts,polo shirt,and store bought new Porsche ball cap. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sorry,but I can't even count anymore,the number of times I've met D-A*#$'s like that. laugh.gif laugh.gif

A S-bird like that,doesn't mind paying 700-1000.00 bucks a month on a lease payment on the Escalade he drives up in,but bitches at the cost of buying any single part on his car he's restoring.

Then,when he's done go to 1 or 2 car shows after his resto is done,usually within the first 3 or 4 months after he first gets it back.He shows up at a Barrett-Jackson to dump it,and complains cause now he'll take a 20-30k hit on his "Investment." laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ron
Katmanken
As a teener owner, you have multiple jack stands.

Next time you find his car in your spot, Jack it up, Put in the jack stands and remove 2 wheels.

Roll them to a secure location and lock them up...... then call the landlord happy11.gif

When douche bag (the car owner) confronts you, tell him ya found the tires and were afraid of somebody stealing them. Then say that you gotta run to cadaver lab and how really cool it is to do a disection and slowly remove all the interesting body parts. happy11.gif happy11.gif

Ken is bad this morning!
DonTraver
Hi Mike, great to hear you're getting settled in. Too bad about the neighbor. I agree with what everyone's said, keep cars, garage locked. Maybe put up a sign like mine, "Free parking tickets and towing, block my driveway. Tell Nicole (SP) I said Hi.

Take Care, Don

PS: Dealing with Know it Alls, is a waste of time. Or "Never argue with a idiot, it annoys the idiot, and wastes your time".

Later
ClayPerrine
Go get a surgical glove ( I know you have access to them) and wear it while you smear a big glop of grease on the TOP of his tires. Do this every time he parks in your space.

Imagine him pulling out of the space and hitting the brakes, only to slide backwards about 6 feet. mueba.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Aug 5 2005, 06:37 AM)
Hi Mike, great to hear you're getting settled in. Too bad about the neighbor. I agree with what everyone's said, keep cars, garage locked. Maybe put up a sign like mine, "Free parking tickets and towing, block my driveway. Tell Nicole (SP) I said Hi.

Take Care, Don

PS: Dealing with Know it Alls, is a waste of time. Or "Never argue with a idiot, it annoys the idiot, and wastes your time".

Later

Hey Don,
its Noel, not Nicole...that mistake happens a lot. The guy is like 60 and rather harmless IMHO. However, his son (?) with the mowhawk and the live in girlfriend concerns me. This guy has his daughter, her son (or his) and the sons girlfriend all in a 2 bedroom condo. huh.gif The cool thing is that he makes me look like the perfect neighbor biggrin.gif All of my neighbors are about 60+ and are all pretty cool. So far he is the only reject. I guess he flips a lot of cars and his partner talked hi8m into buying the 914 as a sound investment lol2.gif I bet it was a $500 rust bucket that they figured they could get for nothing and pour a bunch of money into to get back to original and then sell for a bunch of $$$ smoke.gif Nice dream. Ah well, I did tell him that I hoped he got a lot for it because it would only improve the value of my car wink.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Aug 5 2005, 05:05 AM)
Lock your garage!

agree.gif This guy had to ask what you had and then started spouting off about his 914 project? What are they worth? He should have asked what would YOURS be worth if he stole it and pawned it to a local chop shop. mad.gif

I personally don't like it when neighbors get too close too fast like that. Most of the time I downplay what I have in my driveway.

"That's a cool Porsh (I friggen hate that word), how much did that cost?"
"Not mine, just working on it for a friend."
"Is it fast?"
"Just happy when it starts and doesn't leak oil." I say with a smile still working away on whatever trying to ignore the idiot who cannot pronounce P O R S C H E. rolleyes.gif
DonTraver
The over 50 attack of "Brain Fade", strikes again. Sorry Noel. the only way those type of as*****s make money is cheap work and finding a gulible buyer. Just another scam. That's why PPI's are so important if someones not familiar with a model of car. Usually takes about 15 minutes to figure them out. Put your hand on your wallet and "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY".

I like the idea of jackstands and taking off the wheels. I've let air out of tires on the as******s that think it's ok to block my driveway where I have to drive across the lawn to get in or out. Did I say that? Oh yeah, have just thought of doing that, rear wheels only, don't want them to lose steering out of my neighborhood. End of rant.

Take Care, Stay in touch. Don
SirAndy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Aug 5 2005, 06:05 AM)
Lock your garage!

agree.gif looks like he was sniffing you out. don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and your car is gone, now that you have told him he can get $15k for it!

sad.gif Andy
rhodyguy
did you invite him to the site before reality set in? interestingly, my car came from the factory ready to accept ac too. the installer just had to drill a bunch of good sized holes, cut the engine shelve, one side of the engine tin, and the front trunk floor out. biggrin.gif

k
brer
dont trust easterners. dry.gif

small hands, smell like cabbage.
wilchek
Mike,

Good to meet you and Noel at our Hershey get together. So is the car ready for a trip around the block. If u need a hand let me know, I am off until the end of August when school/work starts back up again. Hope you are enjoying PA beyond your neighbor/retirement community.
Dan
tdgray
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2005, 12:43 PM)
interestingly, my car came from the factory ready to accept ac too. the installer just had to drill a bunch of good sized holes, cut the engine shelve, one side of the engine tin, and the front trunk floor out. biggrin.gif

k

chairfall.gif w00t.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.