Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion throttle bellcrank addition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jim2
Would anyone have a picture handy which shows the factory location for the throttle bellcrank pivot shaft? I'm wondering if there is a usable boss on a regular -4 (HA?) transaxle which could be drilled to accommodate the shaft or if I need to come up with some other mounting arrangement.

Jim
mepstein
Early transmissions have a boss. Late ones don’t. Rich Johnson (a914guy@aol.com) makes an adaptor that bolts on and then the bell crank bolts on to the adaptor.
Jim2
Thank you, I see now looking at pictures of older transaxles where there is some meat for a boss, my is 1974.
carr914
I think I have one -6 Intermediate Plate left that has the boss
mepstein
I used a 911 intermediate plate (same as 914-6) on my conversion but when you change the plate you have to check the pinion depth. It’s not a quick switch. I had it done during the trans rebuild.
brant
I built my own linkage mount and bell crank that bolts onto the back cover plate.

Pics in my race car thread
Jim2
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 2 2022, 06:09 AM) *

I built my own linkage mount and bell crank that bolts onto the back cover plate.

Brant sir, thank you for leading me to your race car build, that is one spectacular machine! I took advantage of your pictures and replicated the bell crank bracket, and with that out of the way I can forge ahead with one of many other outstanding items.

Click to view attachment

brant
QUOTE(Jim2 @ Aug 2 2022, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 2 2022, 06:09 AM) *

Brant sir, thank you for leading me to your race car build, that is one spectacular machine! I took advantage of your pictures and replicated the bell crank bracket, and with that out of the way I can forge ahead with one of many other outstanding items.

Click to view attachment

Nice Work!

brant
eyesright
My 914-4 trans had a threaded boss for the pivot shaft. I purchased all the (used ) bellcrank parts and installed them. Worked fine, but the more I looked at it, the more I figured it was over-engineered. I took it off, made a mounting plated for the throttle cable that I anchored to the top of the engine case just in front of the sheet metal, and connected the throttle cable directly to the carb linkage. Worked great, nice solid feel, much simpler. Couldn't figure out why they didn't do it that way originally. Sorry I don't have a photo.

I sold the bellcrank parts long ago.
mepstein
Sometimes you can’t get enough cable travel at the carbs without the linkage.
Jim2
QUOTE(eyesright @ Aug 3 2022, 01:16 PM) *

My 914-4 trans had a threaded boss for the pivot shaft. I purchased all the (used ) bellcrank parts and installed them. Worked fine, but the more I looked at it, the more I figured it was over-engineered. I took it off, made a mounting plated for the throttle cable that I anchored to the top of the engine case just in front of the sheet metal, and connected the throttle cable directly to the carb linkage. Worked great, nice solid feel, much simpler. Couldn't figure out why they didn't do it that way originally. Sorry I don't have a photo.

I sold the bellcrank parts long ago.

I'm transplanting this six from another donor 914. I drove the donor car which had a cable from the pedal right up to the carb cross bar. It behaved like the throttle return spring needed to be stronger as the throttle would lag and close slowly. I added more return springs but found the pedal effort to be unusual, uncomfortable. I decided to just go with the six arrangement since it's close to a 911, which simply works and has good feel. I figure only bit of sheathed cable will now be nearly straight and shouldn't hang like before, same as a factory 6 car.
speed metal army
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I ordered a 914/6 cable from terry cable 14" longer than stock. This is my design, works mint! Just another way to skin this particular cat..
brant
I like being able to use stock parts... like a cable

I've had to replace cables at the track during a race.
you literally have 20-30 minutes to do the job before the next run at times...

certainly don't want to have to source custom parts under that time frame.
so helpful to use stock parts...

I imagine the same could be true at an event or in another state at an event with a street car.... it would suck to need to order a custom item and wait a week for parts to arrive when you have a failure.
SirAndy
No bracket needed. See if you can spot the throttle cable.
biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Jim2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2022, 03:25 PM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

This makes me wonder why my cable was hanging up. Behaved like the sheath was full of grease.

Andy, do you have a 901 or a 915 behind that 3.6?
SirAndy
Stock 901 which was meant to be temporary and to be replaced with a 915 i have on the shelf.

That was 15+ years ago and the 901 is still holding up.
driving.gif
Jim2
Well, that certainly instills confidence in the 901, and I'm only going to be running a 3.0. I assumed there was no way the little 901 gearbox would stand up to a 3.6 and I was worried about my 3.0 combination.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jim2 @ Aug 21 2022, 12:37 PM) *

Well, that certainly instills confidence in the 901, and I'm only going to be running a 3.0. I assumed there was no way the little 901 gearbox would stand up to a 3.6 and I was worried about my 3.0 combination.

One thing to note, i don't use 1st gear at all for normal driving. I take off in 2nd.

If you are trying to put some serious torque through 1st gear, your 901 will die quickly.
popcorn[1].gif
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2022, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Jim2 @ Aug 21 2022, 12:37 PM) *

One thing to note, i don't use 1st gear at all for normal driving. I take off in 2nd.

If you are trying to put some serious torque through 1st gear, your 901 will die quickly.
popcorn[1].gif

With a 3.2 first gear is one that you have to get out of in a hurry. Not sure why I even use it. For a power upgrade consider taller gears for fourth and fifth gears in the 901. Especially if you want to run it as a GT on the interstate. I have grown to love the 901 tranny.
NARP74
QUOTE(Jim2 @ Aug 4 2022, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2022, 03:25 PM) *

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

This makes me wonder why my cable was hanging up. Behaved like the sheath was full of grease.

Andy, do you have a 901 or a 915 behind that 3.6?

@SirAndy , is that a stock 914 accel cable? Did you just run it up to the next bracket above the tin? What about the connection point, what did you use on the cable end?
mepstein
PMS sells a long cable if you don't want to use the bellcrank.
NARP74
Threadjack! Sorry... I'll open a new one if needed but decided it would be good to have it all in one place for searches.
What I have:
914 stock accel cable using the cruise control bracket on the 3.2 engine in a 914.
Throttle linkage brackets, with the dual spring attachment, unused but installed.
What I don't have:
The shaft pull rod, stock return springs, the $100 coat hanger or the bell crank.
What I think I want:
Stock 914 cable, alternate, stock 911 cable, with a way to secure and adjust the cable
Stock shaft pull rod
Stock return springs X3
Trying to eliminate the bell crank and expensive coat hanger and go right to the throttle linkage bracket with the dual spring attachment.

Don't want to reinvent the wheel just looking for a better option than I currently have.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2022, 05:44 PM) *

Correct. I think mine is actually just an aftermarket 914/6 cable. Not sure if i got this from PMS or somewhere else.

The throttle cable is simply looped upwards, routed through the slit for the linkage and connects directly to the throttle body on the engine.
bye1.gif

NARP74
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 15 2022, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2022, 05:44 PM) *

Correct. I think mine is actually just an aftermarket 914/6 cable. Not sure if i got this from PMS or somewhere else.

The throttle cable is simply looped upwards, routed through the slit for the linkage and connects directly to the throttle body on the engine.
bye1.gif

@SirAndy I have heard a std 914-6 cable works and has the correct ends on it. How are you securing the engine end of the accel cable? Is it adjustable for slack over time? Got any pics?
SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 15 2022, 08:38 AM) *
I have heard a std 914-6 cable works and has the correct ends on it. How are you securing the engine end of the accel cable? Is it adjustable for slack over time? Got any pics?

No pics but it has a metal sleeve at the end where it hooks into the throttle body receiver. I don't remember if there is an adjustment on the engine end.

It's been 15 years since i last had to look at that part.
biggrin.gif

NARP74
It's reliable then!
mb911
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 15 2022, 03:24 PM) *

It's reliable then!

agree.gif

Wow that system must work great
NARP74
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2022, 07:27 PM) *

It's reliable then!

agree.gif

I know, that is why I want to try and duplicate it. Having trouble getting details on it though.
mb911
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 15 2022, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2022, 07:27 PM) *

It's reliable then!

agree.gif

I know, that is why I want to try and duplicate it. Having trouble getting details on it though.

I will be installing one on a customer conversion car with CIS over the next few weeks so will have my information at that time
mlindner
This is mine, I did weld a little extra steel to stop any flexing. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
NARP74
I have seen 2 or 3 options for the bell crank attachment on the 901 trans. They are all very nice. I am trying to eliminate that and the coat hanger and go to the next connection point just through the hole in the tin. Still keeping as much stock as possible. 914 or 914-6 accel cable is fine, even a 911 cable would be fine if I have to for the right connections on the end. I need a way to secure the cable end and be slightly adjustable at that next connection point.

Might be a waste of time but it is just research at the moment.
mlindner
I'm not sure why you would want to eliminate the bell crank. It's simple, it works, it is adjustable, it aligns well with the carbs. Best, Mark
NARP74
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 18 2022, 02:53 PM) *

I'm not sure why you would want to eliminate the bell crank. It's simple, it works, it is adjustable, it aligns well with the carbs. Best, Mark

Just seems like extra connections and parts that are not needed. I am running FI. Plus I do not have some of those parts and that stupid coat hanger is expensive! So is the bell crank modified to fit a 901. Probably $600 or more to get it working in my car.
mepstein
Should be around $250. Rich makes and sells the kit for about that much and if you have an early intermediate plate, you don’t need the bolt on adaptor. I’m not sure where you are getting $600.
NARP74
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2022, 08:24 PM) *

Should be around $250. Rich makes and sells the kit for about that much and if you have an early intermediate plate, you don’t need the bolt on adaptor. I’m not sure where you are getting $600.

His kit is $475 and I am still missing more parts. And I might want a spare 914-6 accel cable just in case, more $$$. No complaints with his kit, just trying to avoid using it.
mepstein
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 19 2022, 01:04 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2022, 08:24 PM) *

His kit is $475 and I an still missing more parts. And I might want a spare 914-6 accel cable just in case, more $$$. No complaints with his kit, just trying to avoid using it.

I didn’t realize prices had gone up that much.
NARP74
Everything has unfortunately.
I was looking to buy something for the car 2 weeks ago, while I looked at it and put it in the cart, the price went from 225 to 315. The site had been adjusting their prices while I shopped.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Acceler...9146ALKDME.html
mepstein
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 19 2022, 09:55 AM) *

Everything has unfortunately.
I was looking to buy something for the car 2 weeks ago, while I looked at it and put it in the cart, the price went from 225 to 315. The site had been adjusting their prices while I shopped.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Acceler...9146ALKDME.html

Yea, that’s the Rich Johnson kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.