Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing '73 2.0 wiring harness...any tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello Family...title says it all...hoping to get out of my nightmare with some help from my friends....experience is the best teacher and I have never done this before..any comments will be greatly appreciated....would love to hear any before and after stories....thank you very very much!!
All the best,
gg

PS....turns out I have misspoken and I am only replacing the FUEL INJECTION WIRING HARNESS in the engine compartment.....from relay board to ECU....oops! Sorry 'bout that... I would still greatly appreciate any procedure or methodology that will make it an easier task. I have very large hands so any good tricks will really help....thank you very much!!
gg
mepstein
Restoration Design has a YouTube video explaining how to install a harness. It’s worth watching.
Puebloswatcop
agree.gif Also if you are doing a removal and then an install.....mark every wire as you remove it. I just use sticky tags and write what it was removed from. That way as you install the replacement, you have a reference.
willieg
Watching the Restoration Design video was so incredibly helpful when I had a bare tub and a harness to install.
JeffBowlsby
The video is a helpful installation aid and its great that RD is making the 914/6 chassis harnesses. They make it look so easy!

I did not see the needed grommet at the rear trunk firewall to the engine bay.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it repair yours you virtually have to take the whole car apart to do it and start in the middle of the tub

QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 5 2022, 11:19 PM) *

Hello Family...title says it all...hoping to get out of my nightmare with some help from my friends....experience is the best teacher and I have never done this before..any comments will be greatly appreciated....would love to hear any before and after stories....thank you very very much!!
All the best,
gg

second wind
QUOTE(willieg @ Aug 6 2022, 07:17 AM) *

Watching the Restoration Design video was so incredibly helpful when I had a bare tub and a harness to install.

I cannot find the Restoration Design video...any chance you could please send me a link?

Thank you very much!
gg
second wind
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Aug 6 2022, 12:45 PM' post='3020900']
don't do it repair yours you virtually have to take the whole car apart to do it and start in the middle of the tub

[quote name='second wind' post='3020796' date='Aug 5 2022, 11:19 PM']
All the best,
gg
[/quote]
[/quote

Hello George....I am talking about the section from the ECU to the relay board....can you please offer me any tips?
Thank you very much.
gg
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Aug 6 2022, 07:29 AM) *

agree.gif Also if you are doing a removal and then an install.....mark every wire as you remove it. I just use sticky tags and write what it was removed from. That way as you install the replacement, you have a reference.

And take lots, and lots, and lots of pictures.
bkrantz
I consider the "center" of the wiring harness to be the big intersection near the fuse panel. From there, major branches go forward into the frunk (for lights and horns), under the dash to the right (for gauges, vent controls, etc.), and down into the tunnel, and eventually through the fire wall into the engine compartment, and rear.
Garland
Here’s how I did mine on the 72
72 wiring harness link
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
This thread from the Classics section might be of help too:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13582
bye1.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 6 2022, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(willieg @ Aug 6 2022, 07:17 AM) *

I cannot find the Restoration Design video...any chance you could please send me a link?

Thank you very much!
gg

https://youtu.be/meuFs3HaUj0
mgphoto
You might want to do a full edit of the title to include Fuel Injection wire harness.

That might make things less confusing.
second wind
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Aug 7 2022, 07:46 AM) *

You might want to do a full edit of the title to include Fuel Injection wire harness.

That might make things less confusing.

That is a good idea....thank you very much !!
gg
second wind
Hello again family....my car finally started and ran today after being down since March...WoooHooo! I am back in the club!!!! Changed battery (root cause) , ECU, relays, and finally fuel injection wiring harness. After the harness went in it started right up. During the process cleaned everything up like distributor, trigger points, relay board, and just about everything else in there. I am so happy to hear the engine running again...and running well. Plenty of mop up to do so I will have a busy weekend. Thank you to all that helped me out of this mess...whew!! Well I know a whole lot more about my car...I guess that is a good thing....WoooHooo!!!!
gg
mgphoto
QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 26 2022, 09:49 PM) *

Hello again family....my car finally started and ran today after being down since March...WoooHooo! I am back in the club!!!! Changed battery (root cause) , ECU, relays, and finally fuel injection wiring harness. After the harness went in it started right up. During the process cleaned everything up like distributor, trigger points, relay board, and just about everything else in there. I am so happy to hear the engine running again...and running well. Plenty of mop up to do so I will have a busy weekend. Thank you to all that helped me out of this mess...whew!! Well I know a whole lot more about my car...I guess that is a good thing....WoooHooo!!!!
gg

Your welcome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.