Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New rear shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Just installed new Bilstein shocks and 100lb springs (914 Rubber) on rear of my car. The rear of the car seems to sit higher than before. I have just about a 5" space from the top of the wheel rim to the fender opening measuring vertically. Car rides on 175/70-15 tires. Don't remember this gap being that large before with the old shocks/springs, but they were the originals from 1973.
Does this 5" space sound normal and will it gradually decrease over time?
Thanks for the thoughts.
EJP914
bdstone914
The height can be adjusted by changing the spring perch position.
porschetub
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Aug 8 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Just installed new Bilstein shocks and 100lb springs (914 Rubber) on rear of my car. The rear of the car seems to sit higher than before. I have just about a 5" space from the top of the wheel rim to the fender opening measuring vertically. Car rides on 175/70-15 tires. Don't remember this gap being that large before with the old shocks/springs, but they were the originals from 1973.
Thanks for the thoughts.
EJP914

Have you driven the car for a reasonable time ? they will settle a bit,if not just reset the perch retainer clip downwards and that will do it.
I have the same setup and did this to lower the rear after dropping the front down.
FlacaProductions
not surprising as your old ones were long gone...you may have to adjust the spring perch as stated above.
EJP914
I have not yet driven the car. Will check again after a few drives. Maybe it will settle down a bit.
Thanks for the responses and your knowledge.
Ed
bkrantz
Do you plan to install new struts in the front? Bilsteins?

You might want to wait and set both front and read ride height in sync.
Mikey914
Interested in your feedback from the rear setup. It can make a big difference. I noticed it on mine.
mmichalik
That's good to know. I'm in the same situation. I will check the perch adjustment as well.
wonkipop
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Aug 7 2022, 03:57 PM) *

Thanks for the thoughts.
EJP914

5 inches (125mm) is a bit high.

i fitted new bilsteins to replace my original boges a couple of years ago.
the boges have a non adjustable fixed perch.
i kept the original springs. (i think they are only about 60 ilbs originally, there were three different grades, suspect mine are softest, but not sure).

we replicated the spring perch ht to the nearest ring notch on the bills.

this resulted in a vert ht from rim to bottom of rear guard of almost 100mm (4 inches).
which was a tiny bit higher than how it had been. i reckon it had been about 75-80mm on the old boge set up maybe a tiny bit more. it was the old arse down front up stock set up so that tends to tip the car a bit too.

i put new bills on the front.
drove it around for a bit to settle suspension.
then adjusted front to get car level all round.

i probably could have dropped it one more notch on bills at rear but i kind of like it where it is as its not too harsh and feels about right at the front. i don't have it set up fierce biggrin.gif its running skinny 165s and street stock.

given you have 100 lb springs i think you are probably a notch or 2 too high with where you have the spring perches set.
stownsen914
The Bilsteins alone can jack the car up a bit. It may settle some after rolling around a bit, but especially with 100 lb springs as well, the ride height will probably need adjustment.
EJP914
I had a local independent Porsche shop mount the springs on the new Bilsteins.
They have the shock perch set on the upper most ring on the shocks. Now I know why the car sits so high. Question is which lower ring do I now use?

There is a 1/2" space between each ring on the shocks. Does that mean for every lower ring I use that will lower the distance between the fender opening and the top of the wheel by 1/2"? Or isnt it quite that simple?

I'm trying to get the wheel/fender opening gap to about 4"
Any guesses on how much lower to go with the perch?
thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Ed
bkrantz
See my build thread, starting with post #5771. I also installed 914 Rubber 100 lb springs on Bilsteins. My current spring perch setting is third notch from the bottom. This setting barely compresses the springs with the shock assembled, so you don't need spring compressors.

You can then adjust the front ride height to match, or just a bit lower that the rear (what I did).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.