Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trouble getting in 4th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nicowm
hello,

porsche 914 newbie here from the netherlands.

i'm having trouble getting in 4th gear, and i think i've found te problem.
or what i think is the problem.

the shifting rod is pushing against the engine mount bar, thats why i can't fully push the gear stick to the right.

now my question; is the shifting rod supposed to point upwards where it exits the tunnel?

if not, then the shifting rod that runs through the mount bar is bent.

for info, i imported the car out of florida wink.gif

greetings Nico

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Rick986
That may be your problem...but check out my post on the same issue. New bushings sorted it right out. Good luck!

brant
Hard to tell from the picture
But check the firewall shift bushing
Wiggle the shift rod and see if that bushing is out or sloppy
Nicowm
Thanks for the replies, but all bushings are new. Also the firewall bushing. And I've made 2 myself from brass and nylon. You can see one on the picture. The old one was worn out and the new one had oval holes in it sad.gif
Soo I made it myself.

The picture is not that great, I can't take a better picture with the shift rod still in the car. I'll take it out and I'll check it with pictures on Google.

Greetings Nico.
Nicowm
And an picture out of the car biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
now that is bent! that is why pic by the firewall showed pointing up.

below pic taken from internet.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
bent late model rear shift rods are a constant problem that cause poor poor shifting. We have to rebend them to factory specs all of the time. We have retained a factory nos shift rod just for these occasions. The key is to make sure that the rear of the shift rod enters the rear shift console very very squarely, with no deviation up down, or side to side. THAT will give you an initial correct bend. Then follow the rod forward to the coupler to make sure that it clears the hole in the engine mounting bar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.