Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumping back to 914s with a sheet metal question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Netspeed
Hey everyone. After a 35-year hiatus, I'm jumping back into the world of 914s. My biggest concern is sheet metal. Pandemic supply-chain issues aside, how readily available are the usual suspects that rust (i.e hell hole/battery tray, rear truck area, rockers, etc.)? Are galvanized versions available now? I saw some here from Restoration Designs and they seem to be the best quality.

Thanks for any and all insight!

Keith
Superhawk996
Welcome back. Parts more readily available than they ever have been. 914Rubber has a great supply of rubber parts and trim. Automobile Atlanta still in the game.

If you haven't been around -- Check out Restoration Design for sheetmetal (which you have done). All their parts are stamped with Galvaneal which is what you want and is what all the major OEM's use for sheet metal stamping. I've never encountered availability issues with RD.

Galvanized is a whole different treatment. You don't want that. Doesn't weld well with standard techniques. Lot more toxic fumes than Galvaneal will produce.

welcome.png
bbrock
Hey Keith,
Welcome back. I did similar as you. I let my car rot for 35 years before finally pulling it out for a bare metal resto. +1 on Restoration Design. I think I dumped most of their 914 sheet metal catalog into my car and highly recommend their stuff. You are going to be pleasantly surprised at the availability of parts for these old cars and wealth of info on restoration.
Netspeed
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 8 2022, 11:24 AM) *

Welcome back. Parts more readily available than they ever have been. 914Rubber has a great supply of rubber parts and trim. Automobile Atlanta still in the game.

If you haven't been around -- Check out Restoration Design for sheetmetal (which you have done). All their parts are stamped with Galvaneal which is what you want and is what all the major OEM's use for sheet metal stamping. I've never encountered availability issues with RD.

Galvanized is a whole different treatment. You don't want that. Doesn't weld well with standard techniques. Lot more toxic fumes than Galvaneal will produce.

welcome.png

Thanks!
Netspeed
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2022, 11:42 AM) *

Hey Keith,
Welcome back. I did similar as you. I let my car rot for 35 years before finally pulling it out for a bare metal resto. +1 on Restoration Design. I think I dumped most of their 914 sheet metal catalog into my car and highly recommend their stuff. You are going to be pleasantly surprised at the availability of parts for these old cars and wealth of info on restoration.

Now the trick is finding one that is not a rust bucket. My 71 was before I sold it off. Got an 88 Carrera 20 years ago but I've always yearned for the gokart-like ride of the 914.
Cairo94507
Welcome back. Yeah, the go-kart ride of the 914 is what keeps us all coming back. Have had quite a few 911's and though I loved them, they were just not the same driving experience- or even close, to be honest. beerchug.gif
Netspeed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 8 2022, 01:42 PM) *

Welcome back. Yeah, the go-kart ride of the 914 is what keeps us all coming back. Have had quite a few 911's and though I loved them, they were just not the same driving experience- or even close, to be honest. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
jim dorociak
I agree new players have stepped for parts vs automation and performance products. But the cars did not get any newer, and most guys say buy the best example you can afford to buy. I will buy the best rust, crash free body you can find and afford. You will more than likely have to touch everything and the cost of labor, body and supplies needed depending on your skill set means nothing is cheap about a build today. So many ideas from guys before and road maps on how to get your project where you want to go. I have a 75 project that needs new home as I found a six to restore instead of finishing this project. I am in Newbury Park. jdorociak@gmail.com
Netspeed
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Aug 10 2022, 01:41 PM) *

I agree new players have stepped for parts vs automation and performance products. But the cars did not get any newer, and most guys say buy the best example you can afford to buy. I will buy the best rust, crash free body you can find and afford. You will more than likely have to touch everything and the cost of labor, body and supplies needed depending on your skill set means nothing is cheap about a build today. So many ideas from guys before and road maps on how to get your project where you want to go. I have a 75 project that needs new home as I found a six to restore instead of finishing this project. I am in Newbury Park. jdorociak@gmail.com

Small world! I live in TO. Not ready to buy just yet but curious what a rust free body would cost. Could be non-running too. Just weighing out all the options as it seems the rusty ones are only good for the people that have the resources or own a body shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.