Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct shift boot for early 73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
Attached are a few pics of the shift boot that came with my car (73 appearance package) when I bought it in 1985. It appears to be leather. Would this be the shift boot that came with the car when it was new?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
NARP74
Appearance pkg, would that have been a center console too? That boot looks like the center console boot.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 8 2022, 07:14 PM) *

Appearance pkg, would that have been a center console too? That boot looks like the center console boot.

Yes - that is the boot that goes with the center console.
doug_b_928
I could be wrong in my use of "appearance package"... The car came with fog lights, chrome bumpers, and a leather steering wheel. It was a 1.7 and did not have the option for the center console with the gauges.

Glad to know that this is the correct shift boot. The round base doesn't match the shifter base so I guess the flange on the base of the boot just tucked under the opening in the carpet. There's a slice on the passenger side of the boot. Should I try to repair it or get a replacement leather boot to put on the existing base to which the current boot is stapled?
bbrock
To be clear, the leather boot only goes WITH a center console AFAIK. It clips into the hole on the console base. Boots without a console would be rubber and fit snuggly on the shift lever base. If you need a rubber boot, let me know and I'll send you one.
doug_b_928
Hey Brent. Would you believe I just brought the car out of storage yesterday sad.gif. I may well take you up on that rubber boot. I guess it probably came with the rubber one. Seems unlikely that someone would rob the gauge console but leave the leather boot. On the other hand, to put in a leather wrapped steering wheel and not a leather shift boot seems odd too…
bbrock
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 8 2022, 07:10 PM) *

Hey Brent. Would you believe I just brought the car out of storage yesterday sad.gif. I may well take you up on that rubber boot. I guess it probably came with the rubber one. Seems unlikely that someone would rob the gauge console but leave the leather boot. On the other hand, to put in a leather wrapped steering wheel and not a leather shift boot seems odd too…

I'd say wait for someone with more originality cred to chime in on this. We had a 73 1.7 appearance group car without center console at one time. My memory says it had a rubber boot but then again, I can't remember if I put underwear on most days. I could see that they might have thrown a leather shift boot in on the appearance group cars. No reason not to really.
doug_b_928
I could be wrong in my use of "appearance package"... The car came with fog lights, chrome bumpers, and a leather steering wheel. It was a 1.7 and did not have the option for the center console with the gauges.

Glad to know that this is the correct shift boot. The round base doesn't match the shifter base so I guess the flange on the base of the boot just tucked under the opening in the carpet. There's a slice on the passenger side of the boot. Should I try to repair it or get a replacement leather boot to put on the existing base to which the current boot is stapled?
bbrock
One other thought and I'll shut up smile.gif The center console seems to be a love or hate thing. I lot of people have ripped them out to gain foot space. Never bothered me though. What does your center tray look like?
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2022, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 8 2022, 07:10 PM) *

I'd say wait for someone with more originality cred to chime in on this. We had a 73 1.7 appearance group car without center console at one time. My memory says it had a rubber boot but then again, I can't remember if I put underwear on most days. I could see that they might have thrown a leather shift boot in on the appearance group cars. No reason not to really.

My original condition 73 1.7L has Appearance Group without the instrument console, but does have a similar leather boot on the shifter.
doug_b_928
@Jamie , that is interesting indeed.
@Brent , I have the perlon insert by the foot area and the plastic tray between the seats.

BTW, I didn't repost my earlier post so not sure why post#8 is there but it wasn't me.
doug_b_928
@Brent , I have the perlon insert by the foot area and the plastic tray between the seats.

BTW, I didn't repost my earlier post so not sure why post#8 is there but it wasn't me.
bbrock
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 8 2022, 09:00 PM) *

Sounds like the leather boot is the correct one, and once again, my memory proves faulty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.