Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welch plug leak on rear caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Fuerbach
Noticed some fluid on my rear caliper and traced it to the welch cap above the e brake actuator arm. Does not leak with normal brake pedal actuation but if the e brake is engaged a small amount of fluid weeps out of a area between the cap and caliper housing Can this plug be sealed with a new cap or does the caliper need to be entirely rebuilt?

There looks to be two half round cutouts where the cap seats and that is where the leak is. Seemed like there was some sort of sealant that chipped away as I was cleaning the area.
Mikey914
May be leaking as it's not a true welch plug. Looks like a plug that was glued in, not pressed.
ejm
There shouldn't be fluid behind that plug. An internal seal has failed, you need a rebuilt caliper.
GregAmy
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 9 2022, 06:32 AM) *

There shouldn't be fluid behind that plug. An internal seal has failed, you need a rebuilt caliper.

agree.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the plugs are always replaced when the calipers are rebuilt
Mikey914
I know Eric at PMB has them, I made them for him. They are not an on the shelf item, so he needed them to do a correct rebuild. Probably why the plug is just that.
Eric_Shea
Ed is correct. The inner adjuster seal has failed. The handbrake arm shaft should not see fluid.

The welch plugs come in our rebuild kits.

https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/4747449.htm

Click to view attachment

Hope that helps!
Brian Fuerbach
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I will be ordering some PMB calipers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.