Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a Southern California Engine Build Shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gonzo54
I have a 73 2.0 with approximately 139,000 miles. It has good compression 139-145 PSI, but uses oil (1qt 700 miles) which is really noticable when 914 members follow me. I suspect valve guides but have not done a leak down test. It's time for rebuild! I need a good shop that can do all or most of the machine shop work in-house: tap oil plugs, centerline alignment/bore, german pistons/cyliners, detailed head work, flywheel resurface, etc. My car is close to original stock and I want to keep the DJet FI. I plan to pull disassemble and deliver the engine (short block?) to the shop.

Looking for recommendations on who to use and details for the build:

-Regrind cam and lifters or new?
-HD Oil pump?
-Larger Pistons/Cylinders to 2056-is this a good plan with DJet?
-Rods
-What am I missing?

Thanks
LS1V8Jerry
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Aug 9 2022, 10:29 AM) *

I have a 73 2.0 with approximately 139,000 miles. It has good compression 139-145 PSI, but uses oil (1qt 700 miles) which is really noticable when 914 members follow me. I suspect valve guides but have not done a leak down test. It's time for rebuild! I need a good shop that can do all or most of the machine shop work in-house: tap oil plugs, centerline alignment/bore, german pistons/cyliners, detailed head work, flywheel resurface, etc. My car is close to original stock and I want to keep the DJet FI. I plan to pull disassemble and deliver the engine (short block?) to the shop.

-HD Oil pump?
-Rods
-What am I missing?

Thanks

AASE Motors Fullerton CA
Jeff Erickson 714 992-2283
Jeff has worked on my Boxster S and my 914
Tonyooc
Proformance in Orange.
jim_hoyland
Contact our friend Bob; he just told me about a shop on Warner
gonzo54
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 9 2022, 12:25 PM) *

Proformance in Orange.

Thanks Tony-Is that Performance Motoring Accessories and do they have a machine shop?
gonzo54
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 9 2022, 01:03 PM) *

Contact our friend Bob; he just told me about a shop on Warner

I will-thanks
gonzo54
QUOTE(LS1V8Jerry @ Aug 9 2022, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Aug 9 2022, 10:29 AM) *

-HD Oil pump?
-Rods
-What am I missing?

Thanks

AASE Motors Fullerton CA
Jeff Erickson 714 992-2283
Jeff has worked on my Boxster S and my 914

Thanks Jerry
gonzo54
Thanks to all for the recommendations -
barnfind9141972
In case they are back logged or have issues, Jorge at European Motorworks in Hawthorne is a great guy and does awesome work.
gonzo54
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Aug 11 2022, 11:32 AM) *

In case they are back logged or have issues, Jorge at European Motorworks in Hawthorne is a great guy and does awesome work.

Thanks-I talked to him today (he was recommended by someone offline)
CoronaMike
Wright Gear Box in Riverside rebuilt my 1.8 and did a piston bore to a (1.9ish). Great work. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.