Hi all, the switch on my '71 was spotty at best, and when I took it out I saw that it was cracked in all the usual places, PLUS MORE.

It took some hunting to nail down exactly how to wire in a different switch, so I thought I'd document what I found so that it might help others.

I ordered a new switch off of Parts Geek, but these are available all over. The switch was listed for a 1971 VW Bug with part number SK953090

This diagram should detail it out, but the main thing was that wire colors don't always match, gotta trace the wire to the contact. And also on the factory switch, there were two wires for parking lamps. In Europe (maybe ROW?) you can choose to have just the left or just the right parking lights on (street side parking lights) On the new switch, both wires were terminated together.

The assumption I'm making is that I can clip this wire(red/black on the new switch) and the parking lights would work only via the light switch for all 4 corners.

The white horn switch wire on the new switch can be run directly to the aftermarket horn button if you have one, so I've read.

IPB Image