Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat Tow Bar - Is It Possible To Use One With A Front Air Dam Or Spoiler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jack Standz
The spoiler on the '74 914 is not removable (unlike the valance on some stock cars and our '72). We'd like to flat tow the '74 because we have no space to store a trailer.

If the tow hitch on the tow vehicle is lowered enough, has anyone been able to tow their 914 with a flat tow bar?

The only other options seem to be trailering it or using a tow dolly. Any other suggestions?
Root_Werks
The one that @914Werke sells can be used with the stock LE spoiler.
Steve
I have seen them work with the limited edition spoiler.
914werke
As mentioned if you still have the OE (steel) valance on the car you will have to remove it.
By design it curves under the car and covers the front A-arm mount points on which the bracket bolts.
I made the bracket so you could use it on one of the more popular aftermarket spoilers the "Limited Edition" style without its removal, though Im sure you could use it with others. smile.gif
DRPHIL914
Mine arrived from 914werke Monday and will be mounted this weekend. I found a LE spoiler down in florida i plan on being down there in 2 weeks, so hopefully i will have that mounted shortly after and get everything tested out before Okteenerfest trip next month.

I'll post some pictures as soon as i have it on.

Phil
Jack Standz
Thanks for the replies!

Looking at the tow bar mounted, it looks like it won't work.

The spoiler/air dam is only 5 1/2 inches above the ground and sticks forward 11 inches from the outside mounting bolt for the tow bar. Maybe a custom mount could work, if I can muster the motivation to fab one. So much easier to put it on a trailer smile.gif.
914werke
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Aug 10 2022, 11:20 AM) *
Looking at the tow bar mounted, it looks like it won't work. The (my) spoiler/air dam is only 5 1/2 inches above the ground and sticks forward 11 inches from the outside mounting bolt for the tow bar. (?)
Not sure I understand? The setup I pictured is only that high (if that) as well.
Perhaps if you post a image? smile.gif
Jack Standz
Here is a photo that might help explain the problem.

You can see the mounting bolt and the spoiler / air dam (yes, it has a few battle scars from speed bumps, etc.).

Easiest solution is to put it on a trailer. But, will check out how others' tow mount might fit on it.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Aug 10 2022, 05:08 PM) *

Here is a photo that might help explain the problem.

You can see the mounting bolt and the spoiler / air dam (yes, it has a few battle scars from speed bumps, etc.).

Easiest solution is to put it on a trailer. But, will check out how others' tow mount might fit on it.

yea there's your problem, some type of after market fiberglass body kit there, looks more like a 914 front with the way those fog lights are mounted too. Is that a Sheridan kit? maybe a couple pics from a few feet away too might help.

you'd have to make some access holes and extenders for the tow bar to be able to stick thru that, probably not worth messing with on that kind of set up.

914werke
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 10 2022, 02:25 PM) *
probably not worth messing with on that kind of set up.

agree.gif
brant
You need to tow. Or trailer these cars forward facing.

The wind speed in reverse can rip the targa tops
PanelBilly
914Rubber also has a spoiler that works with the flat towbar.
infraredcalvin
I’m not sure who made this one, but it bolts to the front fascia and sticks though the fog grill holes. Works great on my track car, but you can’t have or you have to cut holes in the grills…

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Definitely custom.
We are on our 8th run of the flat tow bars. As soon as we get them back from powder coating Ill get them listed up. We should be dropping these off Monday.
These with the LE are a Winning combo. You can hook up and dusconnect in less than 5 min and Ive towed to many events.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.