Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cross Cultural Taillght Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I have had an NOS rightside tailight lens for years and never could find a leftside to match it.

Recently I found a dealership source (actually several online - all seemed to offer the same thing), so grabbed one. It arrived today.

Suh-prise suh-prise suh-prise! (Gomer quote)

NOS rightside is different from the brand new leftside. Cast-in markings are in different locations and other subtle differences. These are both in factory packaging from different eras.

Left: Made in Italy, includes round plastic knobs, no white lens seal.
Right: Made in Germany, includes the white foam lens seal, no round plastic knobs.

Looks like I need to keep looking and find their mates.
mepstein
I got this one from Bruce a while ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=229428&hl=
914Sixer
My question is how does the Italian version fit the housing? I remember a couple of years back some one was selling lens out of Italy and they did not fit correctly.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 11 2022, 05:27 AM) *

My question is how does the Italian version fit the housing? I remember a couple of years back some one was selling lens out of Italy and they did not fit correctly.

Will install this weekend and report back.
slivel
I bought a pair of these made in Italy lenses from Auto Atlanta a few weeks ago. My left one was cracked, and I could not find a decent original Hella to replace it. The reproductions fit okay. Here is a picture of my car with the reproduction from Italy on the left and the original Hella on the right. Since my car is far from original, I will install the reproduction on the right side so they look the same.

My son and I are going to display our cars, my 914 and his C8 at the large (approx. 300) car show, Main Street America on Saturday morning at the Embarcadero, by Seaport Village in San Diego.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
What a great score! I bought complete tail light assemblies from SMC. Housings were nice, lenses are pretty decent, fit well.
mepstein
My small stash of nos. Fits like a glove.
fixer34
While we are talking about rear lenses, my original set are still in good shape, no cracks/damage, but one of the mounting pillars broke off at the lense end. Any ideas on how/if it can be reattached? Maybe super glue?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.