Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 not starting troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GreatPumpkin
Hello all,

Recently moved and got a chance to do some maintenance to the 914, and now it wont run. sad.gif I was able to drive the car to my new place to do the maintenance, but now it won’t run.

Maintenance completed:

So I moved the fuel pump to the front trunk from underneath the car, replaced the fuel pump (bosch) and filter. Oil change, oil strainer, and oil filter replaced, new struts, shocks, springs, rear brakes were rebuilt, fluid changed, new pads, new battery, new main and fuel pump relays.

So after all of this silly me expected the thing to turnover and run right away. However, the engine will now turn over but won’t run.

First thing I checked was the gas supply line from the tank at the engine since it was difficult to determine which line in the rats nest under the car was the supply and return lines to the tank when I was rerouting the lines. I confirmed at the back of the car, the plumbing of the fuel lines is correct. (Disconnected line, ran fuel pump and determined the fuel supply line is the supply line and flowing the correct direction). I was also able to determine that the fuel pump does continue to pump gas while cranking by physically touching the pump while it was cranking to see if pump was running. I have ordered fuel pressure gauges from Amazon and I am waiting on them to plumb into the lines so I can measure the fuel pressure. I haven’t pulled the spark plugs to check their status, but the car has only been sitting for 2 months since it last ran.

Last night after confirming gas was going the correct direction in the system. I added another two gallons as I though maybe the small amount I had in the tank wasn’t sufficient to pressurize the line, but now I’m sure it there is enough in the lines and tank. I pulled the distributor cap and inside was kind of dirty, but it was running fine before so not sure if this is actually the issue. I didn’t mess with the engine other than replacing the fuel pump and relays. ( I did try using the old relays as well and still wouldn't start so I don’t believe that is the issue either.)

I’m stumped at this point.

Thank you,
Greatpumpkin

DRPHIL914
Either fuel or spark - you have verified the pump primes on first turn of the key and there is pressure and ithe fuel is flowing the right direction, so if this is all correct,
then that leaves spark.
- before changing or messing with more things so you dont have 10 variables(this is why you dont change everything at once, too many variables and you dontknow whichone is the issue) ask me how i know lol! been there done that. - ok check each plug one at a time for spark, - but check your CHT connection as no FI car will run with a bad CHT or bad connection of the CHT. If you dont have spark now you have to check distributor points, dwell etc unless you have a point-less module. check your static timing.
I had a non start issue once due to a bad FI relay board in the back. If your pump primes and runs then this is not your issue.

and just to be clear, confirm your motor, sized and type of FI, is it a 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 , d-jet or L-jet.

Phil
mgphoto
Check the relays again and again, they are very difficult to install in the correct position, it is quite common when the phrase “it was running until I” is attached to a FI start issue.
GreatPumpkin
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 11 2022, 01:22 PM) *

Either fuel or spark - you have verified the pump primes on first turn of the key and there is pressure and ithe fuel is flowing the right direction, so if this is all correct,
then that leaves spark.
- before changing or messing with more things so you dont have 10 variables(this is why you dont change everything at once, too many variables and you dontknow whichone is the issue) ask me how i know lol! been there done that. - ok check each plug one at a time for spark, - but check your CHT connection as no FI car will run with a bad CHT or bad connection of the CHT. If you dont have spark now you have to check distributor points, dwell etc unless you have a point-less module. check your static timing.
I had a non start issue once due to a bad FI relay board in the back. If your pump primes and runs then this is not your issue.

and just to be clear, confirm your motor, sized and type of FI, is it a 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 , d-jet or L-jet.

Phil

2.0 Djet
TheCabinetmaker
Fuel lines crossed
emerygt350
If it is fuel injected, you need to know the pressure in the line. Till then, wait on everything else.
buck toenges
Did you check to see if you have fuel at the injectors? have you shot starting fluid into throttle body to see if engine starts? Just checking if it is a fuel delivery issue or fuel injection issue.

Buck
GreatPumpkin
Update: fuel lines backwards. I’m not able to read diagrams. Thank you all. Easy fix at least.
930cabman
QUOTE(GreatPumpkin @ Aug 11 2022, 06:01 PM) *

Update: fuel lines backwards. I’m not able to read diagrams. Thank you all. Easy fix at least.

+1, another victory.

914 World, what an awesome resource
emerygt350
Nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.