Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mueller's version of Megesquirt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
read on PP that mueller is developing a new fi system that is plug & play for the 914. tell us more please. pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif boldblue.gif

Bernie driving.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'll be guinea pig-75 2.0
Mueller
Must be a different Mueller smile.gif

Seriously, I do (or did) have plans to do this, but in all honesty, my plate is a little too full to work on something like that right now or even in the near future......

All I would do is purchase the unbuilt MS, build it and supply a new harness (built by Bowlsby???) with a canned cycle to get the car running.

With the outstanding job that Dave Hunt did with his MS install, I think there is enough information for pretty much anyone to duplicate this feat.

I'd be happy to help if you decide to go about this yourself, it seems intimidating at first, but it's really not that hard once you figure out what is going on. (a slug is smarter than the CPU of these fuel injection systems)
crash914
agree.gif Well my Megasquirt kit and digi-key parts arrived yesterday......With the lack of new MPS around, I thought that I would go this route rather than convert to carbs...Call me crazy, but I like Fuel injection....I am now into it for a few hundred bucks....$90 for the boards, $111 for most of the parts, another $80 for a wide band o2 display kit, and another $120 or so for the wide band o2 interface kit...oh yes, $38 or so for the oxygen sensor.....so not cheap, but less than a new set of carbs...I just got started last night with the stimulator...got to find a couple of missing parts, case etc....wireing will be a challange, I will go with pigtails to the injectors, the battery will be relocated to the front trunk, then the old battery shelf will be used for the relay box and wireing terminal strips...the brain will go inside on the fire wall or under the passenger seat. With chrome exhaust tips yielding 20 to 50 HP, I think that I will have about 300 extra hp.....herb
DNHunt
Crash

I too will be glad to help. Consider boring you throttle body to 50mm and fabbing a new butterfly. I used one off an old Subaru and just filed it it to fit. Kind of tedious but it works fine. You can find connectors for the intake temp sensor and the injectors in the harnesses of Vanagons and then you can solder your wires to these. Making a harness isn't that hard using these. The TPS seems to be a problem for VW types since our throttle shaft rotates counterclockwise to the TPS. Grab one off the before mentioned Subi (always grab connectors too) then drill a hole in the back and mount it to the back plate of your old TPS. Worked for me. I found the whole thing a lot of fun.

Really important. I have a Willette programmmer so I can program blank chips. That means you aren't stuck with the base code. I'd be glad to burn chips for anyone with a 914. Folllow the link at the bottom of the page to my website. I think it will help. Send me a message and we'll chat

Dave
Alfred
Can you tell me more about the wide band O2 display kit and interface? Is that part of the F/I itself or is that some kind of stand-alone meter?

Alfred
Brad Roberts
Dave,

Do you really think you gained anything by using the larger throttle plate ?? The only time I saw a gain on the Dyno is when the engine was physically larger in displacement (2056 versus 1971). For the effort.. I would do what a local guy has done and just run a different TB all together (with TPS built on)

B
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 25 2003, 08:54 AM)
For the effort.. I would do what a local guy has done and just run a different TB all together (with TPS built on)
B

That's what I did. I first ran the stock D-jet TB with a jury-rigged coupler to attach the TPS, then this spring I swapped in a junkyard TB that's tighter and has a TPS pre-mounted. (note to megasqurt wanabe's: you can't use the d-jet TPS. It's the wrong design. You need a 0-5v type as used on modern EFI).
-Ben M.
DNHunt
Brad

I don't know but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't think it hurt anything and I do plan to grow the engine. I'm really pleased with how it runs so what the hell.

The TPS has to be a potentiometer and megasquirt uses it in speed density FI to ascertain [U]changes [U] in throttle position for acceleration enrichment. I currently have a very minimal amount of acceleration enrichment as the enrichment due to changes in manifold pressure is nearly adequate to supply enough fuel. There is a guy with a bus that doesn't use a TPS at all and has no problems. The TPS is needed in my opinion to give good throttle response but it comes into play only infequently and only for a very short time.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.