Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TINKERGINEERING FIRST TIME STUD WELDER & SLIDE HAMMER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINKERGINEERING
Learned what a slide hammer can do! Whoever invented this is a genius. I got to team up with Granpy as my faithful assistant on this fun episode of fixing more dents on the 914. Lots of Body stuff completed.
I also learned what Granpys first car was and what car he took to get his driver's license- turns out it wasn't a horse-drawn carriage.

Thanks for checking in
Frances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwa4_gi1dkI
76-914
Those tools make dent pulling much neater. Just be mindful of your fingers. Those pullers can leave a nasty blood blister. blink.gif
Cairo94507
Nice work. Great that your grandfather is there with you to help. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Aug 11 2022, 02:16 PM) *

I also learned what Granpys first car was and what car he took to get his driver's license- turns out it wasn't a horse-drawn carriage lol-2.gif

OUCH! You probably just burned 80% of us on this forum. I love it! av-943.gif
Keep up the great work. I love your project and the videos. first.gif
Mikey914
Keep up the good work.
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 11 2022, 01:52 PM) *

Those tools make dent pulling much neater. Just be mindful of your fingers. Those pullers can leave a nasty blood blister. blink.gif

WOW OUCH okay thanks for checkin in!!
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2022, 04:18 PM) *

IT was a quick visit so I had to get him involved!
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 12 2022, 01:02 PM) *

Keep up the good work.

THANKS GUYS!!!
mepstein
Frances - I would suggest wearing a respirator when you sand and grind. When you are older, your lungs will thank you.
Craigers17
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2022, 03:49 PM) *

Frances - I would suggest wearing a respirator when you sand and grind. When you are older, your lungs will thank you.

agree.gif And I would extend that to priming and painting as well. Some of these rattle-can paints and primers are actually very good products, but they also contain some pretty caustic stuff. BTW....Nice Work...Ya got mad skills!
Rand
Capslock / all caps... You are too young for that and the SHOUTING it means. Maybe ease up on it. And then...

I am so happy to see what you are doing. Keep up the great work! You will influence many people.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 12 2022, 10:54 PM) *

Capslock / all caps... You are too young for that and the SHOUTING it means. Maybe ease up on it. And then...

I am so happy to see what you are doing. Keep up the great work! You will influence many people.

Yes, she’s 14. Her enthusiasm is just that, all caps. Please don’t throw shade on a 14 year old girl. mad.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 12 2022, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 12 2022, 10:54 PM) *

Yes, she’s 14. Her enthusiasm is just that, all caps. Please don’t throw shade on a 14 year old girl. mad.gif

No shade at all! A pointer that has been helpful is not shade. To be 100% clear, read the next sentence. I applaud her! Dang man, that was uncool. I only support enthusiasts and a million percent more the young ones!
nathanxnathan
The thing about stud welding is that it burns the paint off the back side of the panel, so it's important to paint both sides when you're done.

I think that bracket is relatively accessible from the back — I would have used a pry bar from behind, possibly used the pry bar as a dolly as I beat out the dent from the front with a body hammer.

I was thinking with the mods you are planning, you might have just taken the mps bracket off. I guess it depends how reversible you plan to make the mods for the conversion.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 12 2022, 07:54 PM) *

mate, she is using a slide hammer and a grinder.
who really cares about keyboards. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

go tinker. keep up the good work.
i dig your grandfather standing around smiling.
as it should be. beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2022, 02:46 AM) *

It was a comment that will serve her well. Keyboards are part of our culture these days, so it's dumb to dismiss. I prefer working on metal over keyboards for sure!
rick 918-S
OMG! Who cares! Disregard the key board comments Frances. Geeze. Keep on welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif aktion035.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2022, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2022, 02:46 AM) *

It was a comment that will serve her well. Keyboards are part of our culture these days, so it's dumb to dismiss. I prefer working on metal over keyboards for sure!

i know what you are saying.
but this is an internet forum? biggrin.gif
so its possible to cut slack on the proper form.

be different if tinker was writing a letter to the president.
i'd say tinker knows how to do that in the proper form?
judging by her grandfather. smile.gif

the main thing is the manual skills.
i dunno about the USA but in my country we have been de-valueing manual skills and trades for two generations. .........and now we are paying the price.
i want to see more females in the trades (as well as more men).

in 40+ years of driving cars i have never once seen a female mechanic on the shop floor at any place i have taken my car. i know they must be out there. but never once come across one. i think that is astonishing.

i know a woman who wanted to be one. her father owned the biggest GM dealership outside of sydney. he forbid her to do it. she hangs around our workshop now and is taking out her frustration in her 50s. she helped me put the 914 back together and she restored the paint on it with a clay bar for a week straight. she also helped me with the ford falcon ute, which is absolute sacrilege in old school australia, a holden person working on a ford. thats how much she wanted to go against her father 40 years down the track. i think she would have been a fantastic auto mechanic.
i'm glad times and attitudes have changed.

we are off to see her uncle m in a few weeks time. he was the guy who invented a tool to change the brake pads on the devils number holden monaro at the bathurst 500 in 1968. (never mind, its an australian thing mount panorama). but she has finally found a way to talk to him at least - at his level. they won the bathurst 500 that year.
i can't wait to meet this guy. he is really old. and nobody knows what this brake pad tool looked like. they beat the corporation backed holden dealer team (and the ford corporate team) with it. we are talking about backyard mechanics versus USA corporate might. you can relate?

its the same thing as tinker pulling panels on a 914 engine bay and throwing an electric motor in. its another world that girls need to get access to,
Betty
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2022, 07:45 PM) *

i dunno about the USA but in my country we have been de-valueing manual skills and trades for two generations. .........and now we are paying the price.

agree.gif

in 40+ years of driving cars i have never once seen a female mechanic on the shop floor at any place i have taken my car. i know they must be out there. but never once come across one. i think that is astonishing.

I have seen a few female techs. Most were working in the local Sears/Goodyear/Firestone (corporate chain, simpler repairs type places) or oil change places. I did see one most recently that looked to be a 'junior mechanic' (she was young and still learning I think) at the Porsche dealer in Dallas (I was there for a PCA ladies event). So they exist, but are still very rare in the US from my experience. Granted, we do all our own work on our cars so we don't go to mechanic type places frequently. smile.gif
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Aug 13 2022, 12:08 AM) *

The thing about stud welding is that it burns the paint off the back side of the panel, so it's important to paint both sides when you're done.

I think that bracket is relatively accessible from the back — I would have used a pry bar from behind, possibly used the pry bar as a dolly as I beat out the dent from the front with a body hammer.

I was thinking with the mods you are planning, you might have just taken the mps bracket off. I guess it depends how reversible you plan to make the mods for the conversion.

Haa yes there was lots of smoke. I don't know what that little piece is for. Okay cut it out? Makes sense
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2022, 02:49 PM) *

Ahh good point. Done and Done. Thanks for saying something. Plus it was sitting 3' away.
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2022, 04:18 PM) *

biggrin.gif
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 12 2022, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2022, 03:49 PM) *

agree.gif And I would extend that to priming and painting as well. Some of these rattle-can paints and primers are actually very good products, but they also contain some pretty caustic stuff. BTW....Nice Work...Ya got mad skills!

Will do! I know better smile.gif
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 11 2022, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Aug 11 2022, 02:16 PM) *

I also learned what Granpys first car was and what car he took to get his driver's license- turns out it wasn't a horse-drawn carriage lol-2.gif

OUCH! You probably just burned 80% of us on this forum. I love it! av-943.gif
Keep up the great work. I love your project and the videos. first.gif

Haaa OOPS!! He took it well. Lots of shop teasing these days. I am trying to keep up!
Thanks for checking in
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 12 2022, 06:54 PM) *

NO WORRIES... err all good- one speed these days -the go gear
any interaction is a good thing! Actually, the comment likely gained more comments which is good I say.

Thanks for checking in too!!
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Aug 14 2022, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Aug 13 2022, 12:08 AM) *

Haa yes there was lots of smoke. I don't know what that little piece is for. Okay cut it out? Makes sense

In a 1.7 or 2.0 4 cylinder car that bracket is for the manifold pressure sensor and the decel valve.
IPB Image

On 1.8 L L-jet cars there was no MPS so just the decel valve.
IPB Image

914-6's didn't have the bracket afaik.
IPB Image

If I were gonna take out that bracket, I'd use a pneumatic die grinder, probably a 1/16" x 2" cutoff disc, and grind the spot welds at the edge of the bracket. Grind just shy of the suspension console. Then gently (if it won't come gently, grind more) tap a screw driver (I have specially ground screw drivers that I use for prying and scraping) between the layers and "pop" the spot welds. Then use a Roloc sanding disk or a flap wheel on an angle grinder to clean up the welds. Could be another video biggrin.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Betty @ Aug 14 2022, 06:47 AM) *

agree.gif

I have seen a few female techs. Most were working in the local Sears/Goodyear/Firestone (corporate chain, simpler repairs type places) or oil change places. I did see one most recently that looked to be a 'junior mechanic' (she was young and still learning I think) at the Porsche dealer in Dallas (I was there for a PCA ladies event). So they exist, but are still very rare in the US from my experience. Granted, we do all our own work on our cars so we don't go to mechanic type places frequently. smile.gif

i am pleased to hear that @Betty
i've held to the theory that aus is 10 years behind USA since living in chicago.
i just want it to come true. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Having seen pretty much everything Francis has produced on YouTube, I’d say mechanical engineering might be in her future. It seems to be the natural path she’s on.

Love the enthusiasm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.