Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield trim clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
So today my clips broke while driving and my 1000 mile new trim came flying up. What is the story with these clips. I wish they were made of steel. My 1st 914 had steel ones and they were great. Is one source better than another? They are waaay to brittle.
StarBear
Wow. That really sucks. mad.gif
bkrantz
I heard some things about non-OEM clips made of plastic that is more brittle, so I sourced Porsche factory clips for mine.
mepstein
The first version of 914rubber clips were too brittle. I think they either fixed them or buy from another source.
I gave a set of clips that I purchased on Pelican to a semi local guy in the middle of a window install. His 914rubber clips were breaking upon installation.
mb911
It's amazing that it happened. Now I am nervous to even drive it. Makes me really mad.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
happened to me years ago when I did not replace the clips when installing new windshield chrome, blew off and a truck ran over it.
mb911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2022, 07:04 AM) *

happened to me years ago when I did not replace the clips when installing new windshield chrome, blew off and a truck ran over it.

I know now to only buy Porsche branded ones. I replaced these all 2 years ago.
Root_Werks
I bought new trim from SMC, actual Porsche trim which came with clips. I only replaced the ones I needed to. You can totally feel the difference. The clips that were still good and on the car would flex and the new ones were very hard to flex or bend even a little.

I also had a scare after a drive. Came back to find part of the upper drivers piece had come unclipped. Wiggled it back in until I could feel each clip "snap". Fingers crossed I don't see trim flying off someday.

sad.gif
Mikey914
The clips to need to snap the trim in place. If not they can be picked up and you can loose some trim.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 12 2022, 11:03 AM) *

The clips to need to snap the trim in place. If not they can be picked up and you can loose some trim.

They were snapped in. The clips broke over 2 years time.
IronHillRestorations
Only use genuine Porsche windshield clips
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 13 2022, 08:09 AM) *

agree.gif

Pulled these out of my 70 parts car. One owner. Original windshield (cracked unfortunately) the clips are still flexible and very strong.

mb911
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 13 2022, 04:09 AM) *

Yup put that on my list. I forsee a few items I will be buying directly from Porsche in the near future.
PanelBilly
When I was in NC I visited Black Forest Racing and had a long visit with the founder. Can’t remember his name for the life of me. Anyways I asked him about the clips. He said that his trick was to use a drop of glue on each clip. Then if the snap failed there was still glue. I tried it and I my trim still doesn’t stay tight to the car. Hate to pull it all apart again but it’s on my winter list.
mb911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 13 2022, 07:43 AM) *

When I was in NC I visited Black Forest Racing and had a long visit with the founder. Can’t remember his name for the life of me. Anyways I asked him about the clips. He said that his trick was to use a drop of glue on each clip. Then if the snap failed there was still glue. I tried it and I my trim still doesn’t stay tight to the car. Hate to pull it all apart again but it’s on my winter list.

I need to put that on my spring list. My 928 is not done yet. I am doing the transmission this fall so it will push back 914 work unfortunately.
iankarr
I wonder what would cause the clips to break after 1000 miles of driving. They'll usually break on installation. Important to enusre the trim snaps in on every clip, which is easy to test. Curiious...which piece of the trim lifted up first? Sometimes the rubber spacer block on the bottom can prevent the trim from fully clicking in. If your bottom piece came out first, I'd suspect that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.