Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Panel Contest w/Sierra Madre Collection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINKERGINEERING
I love promoting anything 914.
Send me your most memorable Porsche 914 story. I will select my favorite and the winner will receive their choice of NEW Door Panels from Sierra Madre Collection.

The Door Panels come in 4 options:
-SMOOTH VINYL
-BLACK LEATHER
-BRICKMOLD LEATHERETTE
-BARE

REPLY / MESSAGE ME on Instagram @tinkergineering with your most memorable 914 story.

DEADLINE is AUGUST 23rd

Everyone wins here too- Enter Promo Code: FRANCES PROMO for 25% off any 914 door panel on sierramadrecollection.com
25% Promo ends September 16 - My Birthday smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTxnaEUmj9Q
914xr75
I don't have Instagram. Can I email you my submission? Thanks Sean
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Aug 18 2022, 05:44 AM) *

I don't have Instagram. Can I email you my submission? Thanks Sean

You can replay and share your story here too!
914xr75
All right, here it goes........ my pops, his name is Troy but his friends call him Glenn. He is a hard-working, blue collar man. One time in his life he saved up and bought his only ever sports car: an early light ivory 914-4. Mom didn't like that car much, but I sure did. That car started off a lifetime of loving cars for me.

One time around 1974 my Dad decided to take me and my brother Donny on a drive up to Crystal Lake through the Azusa Canyons. I still remember this moment in my 10-year-old life vividly, because I was terrified! Dad was driving around those corners what I thought was so fast, and you can see all the way down those mountains. Me and my bro were in the non-adjustable passenger seat of course with no seatbelt on. My bro was 2 years older than me. At one point a Fiat X19 came up behind us and there was no way in hell my dad was letting him pass. Donnie was having the time of his life, but not me.

Dad was always a great storyteller, and I'm sure at that time he was adding to the terror with one of his great stories. Looking back I bet my dad was only going the speed limit, and I'm sure the terror is what helps me remember this so well.

My brother passed last year, and my pops now has Alzheimer's. When I bring over the tribute 914 to his house he doesn't remember, but for as long as my memory holds I'll keep it forever.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fixer34
Likewise, I don't have Instagram despite 2 daughters that use it for everything. I use my smartphone for a, well..., phone.
So here's my story:
Bought my -6 used in July 1977. I was single, used it as my daily driver and also my dating car. Started going out with this one particular young lady in April 1980. In June, I decided to take her home to meet mom and dad. Thing was, 'home' was in Eastern New York State and we were in the Chicago suburbs. Planned for a week long trip and left in the afternoon after she got out of work. Drove pretty much all night, about 900 miles/17 hours, with only an hour catnap for me (in the driver's seat). The young lady had said she couldn't sleep in a car; 3 or so hours into the trip she was conked out.
After a couple days with my parents, took a 2 day trip to Boston and up the Eastern coast a bit, and back. Another 8-9 hours in the 914.
By now I was pretty sure she was 'the one'. So on our last day before we left to come back, I proposed. She said Yes, maybe thinking she would have to walk home if she didn't...
Another overnight drive back, both of us talking about out future together. We were married in April 1981, exactly 1 year from our first date. Took the 914 to our wedding night stay.
August 2022, I still have both the lady and the 914. In all that time, she is the only other person to have driven the car.
Robarabian
No Instagram...

Here it is..

I was 16 and saw a 914 on a used car lot in the San Fernando Valley, AJ Risley motors. It was black and a 2.0 and I fell in love with it. Not being able to afford it, I found one in the "Recycler" which was the printed Craigslist or FB Marketplace of the day. I somehow convinced my dad to let me buy it with money I had saved up.

Knowing nothing about these cars, I was lucky it was not rusted (this was 1986 so only a 12 year old car in CA) but the 2.0 block with Webers dual carbs didn't run smooth. The seller told me it needed the carburetors adjusted. I found out the DAPO before me put a 1.8 liter head on one side, and a 2.0 on the other, which explained alot. After sourcing a 2.0 head for some hard money at the time, I learned how to drop the engine, fix it, re-ring it and got it running decent.

Carburetor linkage always baffled me as a kid. I got cocky and drove it about 80 miles up a large mountain to Lake Arrowhead with a friend, in the winter. 165 SR 15 tires don't do so well on ice. It made it up there coughing and spitting. On the way home, my accelerator cable broke. I ended up having to take the top off, with no heater and tied a rope to the center linkage and ran the throttle with my hand, letting go long enough to shift and drove home. As a kid, I remember a CHP officer looking at me and shaking his head, but he didn't stop me. You would think I learned to run the other direction, but I now own four of these contraptions!! Life would be boring without them.

I have only one photo of the car. My wife, who was my high school sweetheart said, My dad has a Porsche. I said which one, she said 914. I knew it was meant to be. That was 37 years ago. Click to view attachment
TINKERGINEERING
Totally great story and I was reminded that we've been up to the camp at Crystal lake. It's good the 914 is so important to your family both in making and retaining memories. That's what it's all about! Again thanks for telling your story!

QUOTE(914xr75 @ Aug 22 2022, 06:09 AM) *

All right, here it goes........ my pops, his name is Troy but his friends call him Glenn. He is a hard-working, blue collar man. One time in his life he saved up and bought his only ever sports car: an early light ivory 914-4. Mom didn't like that car much, but I sure did. That car started off a lifetime of loving cars for me.

One time around 1974 my Dad decided to take me and my brother Donny on a drive up to Crystal Lake through the Azusa Canyons. I still remember this moment in my 10-year-old life vividly, because I was terrified! Dad was driving around those corners what I thought was so fast, and you can see all the way down those mountains. Me and my bro were in the non-adjustable passenger seat of course with no seatbelt on. My bro was 2 years older than me. At one point a Fiat X19 came up behind us and there was no way in hell my dad was letting him pass. Donnie was having the time of his life, but not me.

Dad was always a great storyteller, and I'm sure at that time he was adding to the terror with one of his great stories. Looking back I bet my dad was only going the speed limit, and I'm sure the terror is what helps me remember this so well.

My brother passed last year, and my pops now has Alzheimer's. When I bring over the tribute 914 to his house he doesn't remember, but for as long as my memory holds I'll keep it forever.

mlindner
My story starts with a 74 914 1.8L in 1978. Added big bore kit, webers and went auto-crossing. All over, PAC, Road America with Chicago PCA for over ten years. Then the new cars came along......928....1998 Carrera S...Cayman S. All that time (29 years) the little 914 sat in the back of the garage waiting for its time. Finally, five years ago it started a new life. Body, engine, suspension to become a 914-6 GT Tribute. Now with a 2.2 S, PMOs, Mod solexs cams and short gears...I've got over fifty years of auto-cross and track time and this is still as much fun as the day I started. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
TINKERGINEERING
All these stories are so cool! I want to announce that one of my favorite stories was from Robert (914 A Roo)! Make sure you read his story on this thread, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for telling me their story! This is exactly what makes the 914 community so amazing, it's the people here. It's YOU! Keep on tinkering everyone!
relentless
OK, my story starts in a small town in Southern Oregon, Klamath Falls. As a young man of 21 I was the only one around with a 914, so I felt kinda special. I mean, look at all the guys in pickup trucks or sedans! lol

Every Friday and Saturday night it was customary to drag Main and Klamath Avenue to meet up with friends and *try* to pick up chicks! There really wasn't much else to do in K. Falls unless you were lucky enough to know where there was a 'kegger' party at someone's house while their parents were out of town...

The weekend cruise event actually had quite a number of cars and trucks, plus there were stop lights every block, so usually you were in first gear with a line of traffic. So, it took a couple stop light cycles to make it through to the next block. The streets were one-way and two lanes, so with windows rolled down we'd be talking to the occupants of the cars next to us.

One starry summer night I took the top off the 914 and went cruising Main and Klamath with my old buddy Bob. As luck would have it, who did we find cruising the 'gut' but my old girlfriend Sharrie and her two girlfriends Sharon and Mindy (sisters)! I managed to get these beauties (and I mean beauties) to pull over to shoot the breeze.

Well, a lot of cars were passing by, honking and waving, nobody I knew. I looked at the little 914 and knew I had to improvise. So. I convinced the girls we could all cruise in my car -- as long as they sat up on the rollbar! I remember Sharrie with her legs dangling down on either side of me, Mindy in the middle and Sharon with her legs on both side of Bob's big shoulders. Porsche Targa rollbars are robust!

I merged back onto Main Street when there was a break in the traffic, taking it easy but thrilled by everyone's reaction that saw the spectacle. For probably the first time in my life I drove my 914 cautiously, what with all that precious cargo up top. To this day I don't think my little 914 was ever more popular!

Man, I was like a celebrity! Guys that knew where all the cool parties were shouted out where we needed to go after the cruise! Girls that usually ignored me were yelling at us to stop and talk. I looked over at Bob, and he gave me that look that said it didn't get any better than this.

Suddenly there was a Police siren blaring out behind the 914. Caught up in the moment I had missed the city Copper maneuvering to get behind my car. I pulled over, and the cop came up to my door shining a bright flashlight inside the car then in my face. He then said sternly "get those girls down off there" and proceeded to write me a big ticket. I think it was something along the lines of careless driving.

The girls jumped down and proceeded to walk back to their car in silence, leaving me and Bob to fend for ourselves. I remember looking at that ticket before driving off, wondering whether it was worth it. Looking back yes, yes by golly it was, and could only have been possible in a 914 Porsche. That was over 40 years ago; live your dreams.
ClayPerrine
With almost 40 years of 914 ownership, I have lots of stories about owning them. But this one is the oldest, and the stupidest.

It is the summer of 1986. Betty and I have been dating about 7 months. My friend, Glenn, really liked her car so he found one in a field near Carswell Air Force base in Fort Worth. It was a 73 2.0, with the appearance group package and delphi green metallic paint. It had been sitting in the Texas sun for a long time, so the paint had faded to OD green.

I helped him to get it running, and we drove it all over the place. One night we drove all the way to north Dallas to go bar hopping. At about 2:30 am, we finally started home. And neither of us should have been driving.

We are cruising down I-635 headed west to his house. Back then, there was nothing west of I-35 on I-635, just empty fields. I am in the passenger seat, watching the paint on the front edge of the front trunk lid ripple in the wind.

Suddenly, the air gets under the paint, and it peels back in a sheet and lays across the windshield, still attached at the back edge. Now we have two drunks, in a car doing 70 who can't see where they are going. Queue screaming and yelling, and weaving around on the road.

The back edge of the paint finally lets go, and I turn around to watch it fly through the air in a complete 914 front trunk shaped sheet. It impacts the grill of a Kenworth dead center and explodes. Queue laughing fit by two drunks in a car. We were laughing so hard we had to pull over. The driver of the Kenworth honks at us and gives us the finger as he goes by.

We finally get moving again. I-635 turns south and connects to HWY114 at the north end of DFW airport. We turn on to 114, and we see the same Kenworth sitting on the side of the road overheating. Queue another laughing fit by two drunks in a car.

We finally arrive at his house. He had his room in his parents garage. The doors had been closed off and the left one had a person door into his room. The driveway had a hump at the sidewalk, and a brick pillar between where the two garage doors were originally. He drives into the driveway and downhill into the brick post with a solid thunk.

He backs up, and we fall out of the car. He looks at the 914 and says "This car looks like shit!" very loudly. He then goes into his room and comes out with a box of rattle can spray paint. We find all of the black paint (some flat black, some semi gloss, and some gloss) and proceed to paint the whole car. Lights windows, door handles, everything but the wheels and tires.

This is how it looked afterword:

Click to view attachment

The next morning (afternoon actually), while nursing severe hangovers, we proceeded to scrape the windows with razor blades, and clean off the lenses and license plates.

About 3 months later, the 2.0 engine dropped a valve seat, and my friend did not have the money to fix it. So he sold me the car for $500.00. That is this car today:

Click to view attachment

TINKERGINEERING
WOW that is hilarious. Awesome story. I need to add this to the 914 story notes. Thanks for sharing and keeping amazing memories alive. Send an updated pic of you, Bob, Sharrie, Sharon and Mindy all in and on the 914. That would be a hoot.

QUOTE(relentless @ Aug 25 2022, 10:56 PM) *

OK, my story starts in a small town in Southern Oregon, Klamath Falls. As a young man of 21 I was the only one around with a 914, so I felt kinda special. I mean, look at all the guys in pickup trucks or sedans! lol

Every Friday and Saturday night it was customary to drag Main and Klamath Avenue to meet up with friends and *try* to pick up chicks! There really wasn't much else to do in K. Falls unless you were lucky enough to know where there was a 'kegger' party at someone's house while their parents were out of town...

The weekend cruise event actually had quite a number of cars and trucks, plus there were stop lights every block, so usually you were in first gear with a line of traffic. So, it took a couple stop light cycles to make it through to the next block. The streets were one-way and two lanes, so with windows rolled down we'd be talking to the occupants of the cars next to us.

One starry summer night I took the top off the 914 and went cruising Main and Klamath with my old buddy Bob. As luck would have it, who did we find cruising the 'gut' but my old girlfriend Sharrie and her two girlfriends Sharon and Mindy (sisters)! I managed to get these beauties (and I mean beauties) to pull over to shoot the breeze.

Well, a lot of cars were passing by, honking and waving, nobody I knew. I looked at the little 914 and knew I had to improvise. So. I convinced the girls we could all cruise in my car -- as long as they sat up on the rollbar! I remember Sharrie with her legs dangling down on either side of me, Mindy in the middle and Sharon with her legs on both side of Bob's big shoulders. Porsche Targa rollbars are robust!

I merged back onto Main Street when there was a break in the traffic, taking it easy but thrilled by everyone's reaction that saw the spectacle. For probably the first time in my life I drove my 914 cautiously, what with all that precious cargo up top. To this day I don't think my little 914 was ever more popular!

Man, I was like a celebrity! Guys that knew where all the cool parties were shouted out where we needed to go after the cruise! Girls that usually ignored me were yelling at us to stop and talk. I looked over at Bob, and he gave me that look that said it didn't get any better than this.

Suddenly there was a Police siren blaring out behind the 914. Caught up in the moment I had missed the city Copper maneuvering to get behind my car. I pulled over, and the cop came up to my door shining a bright flashlight inside the car then in my face. He then said sternly "get those girls down off there" and proceeded to write me a big ticket. I think it was something along the lines of careless driving.

The girls jumped down and proceeded to walk back to their car in silence, leaving me and Bob to fend for ourselves. I remember looking at that ticket before driving off, wondering whether it was worth it. Looking back yes, yes by golly it was, and could only have been possible in a 914 Porsche. That was over 40 years ago; live your dreams.

TINKERGINEERING
Thanks for sharing your crazy story. Quite the journey these 914s take us on I am learning. And look how good it looks now! More lives to live! Shiny side up! I want to somehow put together a book of as many stories we can all write up and share this with people who are into cars in general. But find a way that all proceeds go back into 914World community and what that turns into for the future. Preserving the stories is just as important as preserving the metal I think. Any ideas let me know.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 26 2022, 06:19 AM) *

With almost 40 years of 914 ownership, I have lots of stories about owning them. But this one is the oldest, and the stupidest.

It is the summer of 1986. Betty and I have been dating about 7 months. My friend, Glenn, really liked her car so he found one in a field near Carswell Air Force base in Fort Worth. It was a 73 2.0, with the appearance group package and delphi green metallic paint. It had been sitting in the Texas sun for a long time, so the paint had faded to OD green.

I helped him to get it running, and we drove it all over the place. One night we drove all the way to north Dallas to go bar hopping. At about 2:30 am, we finally started home. And neither of us should have been driving.

We are cruising down I-635 headed west to his house. Back then, there was nothing west of I-35 on I-635, just empty fields. I am in the passenger seat, watching the paint on the front edge of the front trunk lid ripple in the wind.

Suddenly, the air gets under the paint, and it peels back in a sheet and lays across the windshield, still attached at the back edge. Now we have two drunks, in a car doing 70 who can't see where they are going. Queue screaming and yelling, and weaving around on the road.

The back edge of the paint finally lets go, and I turn around to watch it fly through the air in a complete 914 front trunk shaped sheet. It impacts the grill of a Kenworth dead center and explodes. Queue laughing fit by two drunks in a car. We were laughing so hard we had to pull over. The driver of the Kenworth honks at us and gives us the finger as he goes by.

We finally get moving again. I-635 turns south and connects to HWY114 at the north end of DFW airport. We turn on to 114, and we see the same Kenworth sitting on the side of the road overheating. Queue another laughing fit by two drunks in a car.

We finally arrive at his house. He had his room in his parents garage. The doors had been closed off and the left one had a person door into his room. The driveway had a hump at the sidewalk, and a brick pillar between where the two garage doors were originally. He drives into the driveway and downhill into the brick post with a solid thunk.

He backs up, and we fall out of the car. He looks at the 914 and says "This car looks like shit!" very loudly. He then goes into his room and comes out with a box of rattle can spray paint. We find all of the black paint (some flat black, some semi gloss, and some gloss) and proceed to paint the whole car. Lights windows, door handles, everything but the wheels and tires.

This is how it looked afterword:
The next morning (afternoon actually), while nursing severe hangovers, we proceeded to scrape the windows with razor blades, and clean off the lenses and license plates.

About 3 months later, the 2.0 engine dropped a valve seat, and my friend did not have the money to fix it. So he sold me the car for $500.00. That is this car today:

TINKERGINEERING
Whoa! Good thing you kept it!! Love hearing these stories and how the 914 eventually comes back around to teach us something! Your car looks great and sounds like it was fun to drive. Hopefully its ready for another go around racing and getting used. I wonder what its 3rd life will bring the next driver. Your kids sneak it out for a spin yet?
Thanks for sharing!

QUOTE(mlindner @ Aug 25 2022, 01:15 PM) *

My story starts with a 74 914 1.8L in 1978. Added big bore kit, webers and went auto-crossing. All over, PAC, Road America with Chicago PCA for over ten years. Then the new cars came along......928....1998 Carrera S...Cayman S. All that time (29 years) the little 914 sat in the back of the garage waiting for its time. Finally, five years ago it started a new life. Body, engine, suspension to become a 914-6 GT Tribute. Now with a 2.2 S, PMOs, Mod solexs cams and short gears...I've got over fifty years of auto-cross and track time and this is still as much fun as the day I started. Best, Mark
914xr75
Thank you so much for choosing my story. I haven't been to Crystal Lake in years, maybe it's time to go in the 914 again. I sent you a PM regarding the door panels.
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Aug 27 2022, 05:35 AM) *

Thank you so much for choosing my story. I haven't been to Crystal Lake in years, maybe it's time to go in the 914 again. I sent you a PM regarding the door panels.

Awesome Thanks for sharing and yes Post those updated images too!
Frances
ClayPerrine
Miss Frances,

I think this came out before you joined our eclectic community, so I thought I would add it here for you to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNRU8SdIZfM

And here is the thread from when it came out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=350627

I think it sums up the spirit of our little community.

Enjoy,

Clay
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Aug 27 2022, 05:35 AM) *

Hey there! 914xr75 sorry for the confusion. Yes so many amazing stories here!!
Robert 914 A Roo’s story was selected for the door panel story contest.
Hopefully we can do more parts contest soon!! Your Family 914 is a very cool car!!

More to come.
I was just looking back at this thread to winner announcement post #9 from Aug 25
Others kept submitting afterwards.
Lots of learning here

Thanks for submitting!
914xr75
Hi, I sent you a PM a few days ago about the door panels. Really looking forward to getting them. Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.