Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition wire recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
As the title says, my Beru's are done. Are there any recommendations for plug wires?

The end connection on the Beru's (going into the distributor cap) don't seem all that secure so would like to go with another set.

This is for a a stock 2.0 D-jet.
930cabman
I recently picked up a set at NAPA, it took a few days to arrive but they work fine
mgphoto
These are the ones I used last time around.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1085...8&DID=11573
Highland
Picture shows the 2 different wire ends going into the distributor cap. Couple of questions:

1) Does the electricity travel by arcing between the cap and wire end or is there actual conduction? Looks like an arc to me and there is no conductor contact between the wire and cap.

2) I had some old plug wires and noticed 2 different wire ends going to the distributor. They both fit well and was wondering if there is a preferred end or difference in performance.

Click to view attachment
iankarr
There's direct conduction from the cap to the wire and from the wire to the top of the plug. There's an arc between the ignition rotor and the metal posts as it rotates inside the distributor cap.
914Sixer
The one on the right is the Old school type. They were excellent and were great conductors. The new style get they the job done but not as good. All the original parts were copper. Now it could be be brass or aluminum thrown in to mix.
DennisV
QUOTE(Highland @ Aug 15 2022, 01:36 PM) *

As the title says, my Beru's are done. Are there any recommendations for plug wires?

I was just looking for plug wires yesterday. The usual vendors (Stoddard, Sierra Madre, etc.) have original looking plug wire sets for about $180, or you get them from Porsche for $215. Any reason you're not going one of these routes?
914Sixer
Found this a Rockauto. Premium set. Has best connectors on both ends and the original style rubber boots for the spark plug end. 7mm silcone NGK brand $46
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.