Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any good shops near Grand Rapids Michigan?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
So I somewhat unexpectedly bought a Bumblebee on BAT today and am contemplating a fly in and drive it home scenario. Grand Rapids Michigan to Spokane WA. Roughly 2,000 miles. The car hasn't had much use in several years. I am looking forward to my own tinkering and fixing of things but I wouldn't mind having someone with knowledge give it a pre trip once over to enhance my odds of not getting stuck in the middle of nowhere ND or Montana. Any good shops near Grand Rapids?

Also, the tires are 10 years old. Not ideal but if not checked, would you replace them pre trip or drive em home?

I do love a road trip. I've previously bought a 911 in Philly and drove it home. Another one in Houston, same story. A BMW GS in NE Maryland and rode it home. I have some great memories from those trips.

Gratuitous pic.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Original Customs in Grand Rapids. @McMark built a good portion of my car.

Mine:
JeffBowlsby
Hey Jerry, great looking BB. Please PM me the VIN and your email to update the 914 Can Am registry. Thanks.
rjames
I wouldn’t attempt to drive on 10 year old tires for 2k miles. You probably spent a fair amount on the car, spend a little more to increase the likelihood you make it home in one piece.

Also buy clutch and accelerator cables and bring a tool box along for the ride.
Congrats on the purchase!
mepstein
I would drive it. driving.gif
bbrock
Have gas - Will Travel! driving.gif

I'm about 10 miles east of Bozeman, just off I-90 and work out of my house if you need a pit stop or assistance when you are in the area. I'll PM you my contact deets.

beerchug.gif
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 15 2022, 08:57 PM) *

Mine:

Thanks, I will reach out. Great looking car!
tygaboy
Congrats on the car!
Regarding the tires: Having experienced a catastrophic failure of a 10 year old tire, I would absolutely not risk driving on those, except to a local tire store. For not that high a price, you virtually eliminate a serious risk.
driving.gif
mb911
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 15 2022, 07:57 PM) *

Mine:

Rob,

Didn't Mark close down the shop and got a dat job?
Chris H.
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 16 2022, 09:06 AM) *

Congrats on the car!
Regarding the tires: Having experienced a catastrophic failure of a 10 year old tire, I would absolutely not risk driving on those, except to a local tire store. For not that high a price, you virtually eliminate a serious risk.
driving.gif

agree.gif
914-Kazoo
Euro AutoWerls - Rockford, MI 49341 616-874-7932
or
Foreign Car Services - Portage, MI 49024 269-342-6994

Both work primarily on Porsche cars, very experienced.

Good luck with the drive, sounds like a blast
914-Kazoo
Another option - I live in Richland, MI 49083 about 1 hr south of GR. I have a lift, tools. If your interested we could do some basic maintenance and look over. Let me know a date if your interested.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Aug 15 2022, 11:36 PM) *

So I somewhat unexpectedly bought a Bumblebee on BAT today and am contemplating a fly in and drive it home scenario. Grand Rapids Michigan to Spokane WA. Roughly 2,000 miles. The car hasn't had much use in several years. I am looking forward to my own tinkering and fixing of things but I wouldn't mind having someone with knowledge give it a pre trip once over to enhance my odds of not getting stuck in the middle of nowhere ND or Montana. Any good shops near Grand Rapids?

Also, the tires are 10 years old. Not ideal but if not checked, would you replace them pre trip or drive em home?

I do love a road trip. I've previously bought a 911 in Philly and drove it home. Another one in Houston, same story. A BMW GS in NE Maryland and rode it home. I have some great memories from those trips.

Gratuitous pic.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Click to view attachment

Jerry,

congratulations on the purchase of that beautiful car!!! i watched the auction close and glad to see a member hear bought this.

for sure you should get new tires, and take up that offer to put it in a lift and go thru it. it looks well maintained but when were the fuel lines ans brake lines replaced?? 20000 miles is a long way, i drove mine 1000 miles up to Tangerine racing for major rust repair , and then drove it 1000 miles home, but i knew what i had in the more and all this areas like fuel lines brake lines et.
if you do it, get new clutch and accelerator cables and a extran fuel pump etc to take with just in case . last year i was stranded due to a crack and short in the FI relay and fuse board in the engine compartment, so now that is a part i carry an extra of, i also have a spare MPS and a spare distributor and points. i have never been stranded because of one of those failing but it does happen.

good luck and have a safe trip.. start a thread and post lots of pictures!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.