Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Creamsicle FS in Maine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
1st Creamsicle built, and lowest VIN 914LE as confirmed by PCNA. This CS needs a total restoration but...This is a significant 914 being both the 1st 914LE and 1st Creamsicle. I saw this car in 2005 in SoCal, it was not running then, was mildly rusty and looks about the same today, but it had already been sold to the owner in VT who is apprently now deceased. Its now resurfaced, available and apparently in driveable condition. A great opportunity for someone to rescue and revive. It had an original LE spoiler on it then and by the damage marks I see on it now compared to then, its the same one.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-f...14/2607915.html

VIN indicated in the listing is not correct. It is 4742914348

Auction info is here. https://auction.owlshead.org/

https://auction.owlshead.org/listing/1974-porsche-914/

8/24/2022 to 8/27/2022
When: Wednesday, August 24—Saturday, August 27, 2022
Opening times vary during auction week
Where: Owls Head Transportation Museum / Main Display
117 Museum Street
Owls Head, Maine
United States
ts@ohtm.org
(207)594-4418

Hopefully someone here gets it, keep us posted.
StarBear
Wow. If only I were 30 (or 40?) years younger. But then wouldn’t (and didn’t) have the either the money or the time. Sweet dreams….
ConeDodger
I’m knee deep in 240Z driveline and suspension project or I’d be all over that. Even when I owned the Bumblebee Racer AKA submarine I was wishing it was a Creamsicle. In fact the first 914 I really noticed back when they were new and I worked in a VW shop was a Creamsicle!
mepstein
I would love to do a 911 creamsicle
930cabman
QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 17 2022, 06:32 AM) *

Wow. If only I were 30 (or 40?) years younger. But then wouldn’t (and didn’t) have the either the money or the time. Sweet dreams….

That's what she said
nditiz1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2022, 07:49 AM) *

agree.gif
JeffBowlsby

The '73 911 'Creamsicle' preceded the '74 914 Creamsicle
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 17 2022, 09:46 AM) *

Damn....I guess I sort of had a creamsicle, changed to blue several years ago. headbang.gif

Oscar

BENBRO02
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 16 2022, 11:30 PM) *

1st Creamsicle built, and lowest VIN 914LE as confirmed by PCNA. This CS needs a total restoration but...This is a significant 914 being both the 1st 914LE and 1st Creamsicle. I saw this car in 2005 in SoCal, it was not running then, was mildly rusty and looks about the same today, but it had already been sold to the owner in VT who is apprently now deceased. Its now resurfaced, available and apparently in driveable condition. A great opportunity for someone to rescue and revive. It had an original LE spoiler on it then and by the damage marks I see on it now compared to then, its the same one.

8/24/2022 to 8/27/2022
117 Museum Street
Owls Head, Maine
United States
ts@ohtm.org
(207)594-4418

Being the first LE is there any documentation of differences between this car and the other LE cars?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we could tell if there were a bunch of pictures, but nothing in these pictures tells anything except that:

The first one had dual carbs installed! (LOL)

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 17 2022, 10:23 AM) *

8/24/2022 to 8/27/2022
117 Museum Street
Owls Head, Maine
United States
ts@ohtm.org
(207)594-4418

Being the first LE is there any documentation of differences between this car and the other LE cars?

jaredmcginness
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2022, 10:49 AM) *

You still can... haha
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 17 2022, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 17 2022, 09:46 AM) *

Damn....I guess I sort of had a creamsicle, changed to blue several years ago. headbang.gif

Oscar

I like that look but I would go all in with phoenix red bumpers.
Meh, on second thought, maybe not.
JeffBowlsby

I have 100+ images of this car from 2005, and it looks in very similar condition and detail then as now to other 914LEs as far as I can tell. But two things stand out:

1. The black positive side stripes. The Phoenix Red or Sunflower Yellow negative side stripes were developed for the 914 LE, so these earlier style positive stripes are not correct. But...I understand 914s were shipped to the USA without stripes factory applied because of the cosmoiline coating and the stripes were applied as dealer prep. It may have been possible that the negative stripes just were never installed, or maybe the dealer did not have them yet, or the buyer didn't want them installed. Then these positive stripes were added because thats all the dealer had, or what the buyer wanted or at some time later due to owner preference. We should not put much merit in this, too much speculation, but I would consider consider them in a restoration.

2. The racing stripe. its actually orange and black and looks carefully applied. I am thinking it could be original to the car, maybe dealer applied, but its the only LE I have seen with it. If I was restoring the car I would lean towards leaving it on or replacing it in kind.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 17 2022, 02:00 PM) *

I have 100+ images of this car from 2005, and it looks in very similar condition and detail then as now to other 914LEs as far as I can tell. But two things stand out:

1. The black positive side stripes. The Phoenix Red or Sunflower Yellow negative side stripes were developed for the 914 LE, so these earlier style positive stripes are not correct. But...I understand 914s were shipped to the USA without stripes factory applied because of the cosmoiline coating and the stripes were applied as dealer prep. It may have been possible that the negative stripes just were never installed, or maybe the dealer did not have them yet, or the buyer didn't want them installed. Then these positive stripes were added because thats all the dealer had, or what the buyer wanted or at some time later due to owner preference. We should not put much merit in this, too much speculation, but I would consider consider them in a restoration.

2. The racing stripe. its actually orange and black and looks carefully applied. I am thinking it could be original to the car, maybe dealer applied, but its the only LE I have seen with it. If I was restoring the car I would lean towards leaving it on or replacing it in kind.

Thanks Jeff, it looks like the car has been repainted from what I see. The black plastic under the cowl looks to be painted white. Maybe I’m wrong, I bet your 100+ pictures would probably help to figure that out. If it’s been repainted I doubt the stripes would be original.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 17 2022, 12:00 PM) *

100% agree with you mr. b
you would tiptoe into this one.
it could well be as you speculate.

looks like the owner for the last 15 years settled on the "preserve it as it is" strategy.
being the first creamsicle you just never know what the dealer got up to conjuring the car.

EDIT
is that a faded black central stripe or dark blue?
if its blue its got a touch of the old stars and bars.
almost reminds me of USA bicentennial graphics.
though 76 was a bit early for a respray given @BENBRO02 's eye for detail on the air vent grille.
a previous owner was a bit of a patriot maybe?
turned a creamsicle into a rolling star spangled banner.
if so, nice idea. subtle but very good.
wonkipop
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 17 2022, 11:43 AM) *

we could tell if there were a bunch of pictures, but nothing in these pictures tells anything except that:

The first one had dual carbs installed! (LOL)

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 17 2022, 10:23 AM) *

8/24/2022 to 8/27/2022
117 Museum Street
Owls Head, Maine
United States
ts@ohtm.org
(207)594-4418

older aftermarket fuel injection with throttle bodies actually.
not an uninteresting mod.
i'd say it got up and went ----- a bit better than carbs or original EFI?

sometimes there is a case for preserving a car and mods through time.
i'd be trying to find out who past owners were.
anyone significant. or interesting?
there might be something in it.
aside from the standard idea of restoring back to factory.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 16 2022, 09:30 PM) *

1st Creamsicle built, and lowest VIN 914LE as confirmed by PCNA.

got interested in just when they started making these little babies in relation to celebrating the 100,000 914 - which is the other reason they gave for doing them?

the oldest one (this one) on your register mr. b is 14348?

i did the maths

i only got to 96,483 cars on the first SE/SL/etc on your r list.
(i counted the 6s and the 916s too smile.gif )
they jumped the gun!? biggrin.gif beer.gif

someone else can see if they can get it to add up to 100K. i can't.

stoked to see that a creamsicle was the first not a bumble bee. stirthepot.gif
phoenix orange forever. or is that red. even beetles looked cool in phoenix whatever.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 17 2022, 11:00 AM) *

How was the rust back in 2005? Is there any way to access your pics from that period to review?

Having just bought a Bumblebee this is a horrible time but I'd love to have one of each!

Thanks Jeff
JeffBowlsby
I’m not able to dust my photos until after the auction.

Anyone here planning to pursue this car? Pm me if you want to remain discreet.
Unobtanium-inc
Better hope Seinfeld doesn't see this, he always wants the first and last.
JeffBowlsby
Anyone here bringing this car home?
JeffBowlsby
No response from our community. This one appears to have left the fold...a prodigal 914. Hopefully a temporary condition and the new owner will find us.
914dave
On a side note. The museum is worth a visit if you're in the area. A great place to spend 3-4 hours. You have access to the plane restoration shop. Last time i was there we got a ride in a 1917 Model T Phaeton.
914dave
A little birdie told me that car was making its way to Pennsylvania. The buyer has a bumblebee and creamsicle. He lives here.
mepstein
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 30 2022, 01:17 PM) *

A little birdie told me that car was making its way to Pennsylvania. The buyer has a bumblebee and creamsicle. He lives here.

He told me he was headed up to Maine. Congrats to him. He’ll have quite the collection. smilie_pokal.gif
JeffBowlsby
Who is it pray tell...
BeatNavy
Sorry, Jeff. You know the first rule of LE Club….

All I can say is he is a major celebrity smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 30 2022, 03:01 PM) *

Sorry, Jeff. You know the first rule of LE Club….

All I can say is he is a major celebrity smile.gif

av-943.gif

Thanks Rob. That made my day.

I just talked to him 30 minutes ago. He’s headed up there today to pick it up. MOB rules!
Dion
beerchug.gif Mob Rules lol-2.gif He is The Godfather!
nditiz1
Hey I don't get the inside joke, who ended up buying it?
TonyA
Sorry for the slow response just wanted to make sure this was not a dream or a nightmare. I am very happy with the deal. We are on our way home now but after almost twelve hours of driving we are staying somewhere in NH or maybe still on Maine. Stay tuned.
mrholland2
I was fascinated by the throttle body FI. Was that a common "upgrade/downgrade/sidegrade" that just hasn't been around on here lately? Just curious.

I will own one again someday. . still lurking. sad.gif
davep
QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 30 2022, 08:43 PM) *

Sorry for the slow response just wanted to make sure this was not a dream or a nightmare. I am very happy with the deal. We are on our way home now but after almost twelve hours of driving we are staying somewhere in NH or maybe still on Maine. Stay tuned.

WAY to go!! Congrats Tony.
Dave & the gang
ChrisFoley
I doubt the car has been driven much since we installed the current engine in 2008.
The owner was reclusive and had a sizable collection of cars, including a few Porsches and VWs.
Congrats Tony, that car has some rough edges but it's solid. My records indicate only three minor rust repair locations.
ChrisFoley
If you're driving thru Hartford consider a side trip to my shop in Manchester.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 30 2022, 05:43 PM) *

Awesome, I corresponded with the auctioneer a bit but I am on the other side of the country and just bought a Bumblebee so there was no way to make this work. Glad someone here picked it up.
davep
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Sep 2 2022, 01:49 PM) *
just bought a Bumblebee so there was no way to make this work.

Do tell! Which one did you acquire Jerry?
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 2 2022, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Sep 2 2022, 01:49 PM) *
just bought a Bumblebee so there was no way to make this work.

Do tell! Which one did you acquire Jerry?

Hey David, I bought #4742914915, last one on BAT
TonyA
So I have been a little busy with this car and some other projects but here you go.
The car was originally purchased in Reno Nevada then sold to someone in Cali in 1980. It sat in Cali for what looks like 25 years. It was then bought by a millionaire collector out of Vermont in 2005. The research on the past owner has been as fascinating as the research on the car itself. In 2006/07 Chris Folley from Tangerine Racing was commissioned to do some minor rust repair and a complete underbody restoration of all suspension components trailing and a arm powder coating, brakes etc. installing new axles and the removal of the original engine and the installation of a Raby engine. More on that later.
I met with Chris Folley a few weeks ago and we talked about this car among other topics. ( I brought him some Philadelphia soft pretzels and mustard). With Chris's help and the help from Jeff Bowlsby and all his documentation that he shared with me of email correspondance from 2005/06 with the past owner, who is now deceased, we found the original engine.
I received with the car a ton of paper work, a itemized list of all the work completed and receipts, all the product info on the SDS system CHT EGT gauges etc etc.
So with all the paperwork that I received, we cannot locate the original Jake Raby manuals, that go with each of his engines. The estate is looking for them and maybe they will resurface. The past owner had an extensive and impressive collection of cars. With several garages and barns and several houses here in the states and Hawaii its a daunting task.
Shivers
Congratulations!
jhynesrockmtn
Nicely done, glad it ended up in good hands and congrats on finding the original engine. Sounds like you ended up with a great car.
friethmiller
Very cool! Sounds like it was "meant to happen"! Congrats!
StarBear
Awesome, Tony! You have a bit of work to do and look forward to the result. smile.gif
Dion
Tony has been exercising the LE. Had a good meet up this past Saturday. It’s a neat car,
Some of us just want him to clear coat it, keep the patina!
StarBear
QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 11 2022, 08:28 PM) *

Tony has been exercising the LE. Had a good meet up this past Saturday. It’s a neat car,

A bunch of 914s; where was this event?
Dion
QUOTE(StarBear @ Oct 11 2022, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 11 2022, 08:28 PM) *

A bunch of 914s; where was this event?

Hey Steve it was a local C&C event in North Wales PA. Charity benefitting Juvenile Diabetes. I believe we had 10 914’s show up in all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.