Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Condenser on 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Is there not a condenser used on 914-6 with a Marelli distributor?

I don't see what looks like a condenser in the parts catalog. Nor can I find mention of the word "condenser".
Click to view attachment

Yet Sierra Madre lists 90160293100, as do other vendors.
Marelli Distributor Condenser, 911T (68-71)/914-6(70-72)

I don't find that part number searching the catalog either.

confused24.gif
aturboman
All 914-6s have a Bosch CD ignition, no condenser is required.

QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 17 2022, 12:52 PM) *

I don't see what looks like a condenser in the parts catalog. Nor can I find mention of the word "condenser".
Click to view attachment

confused24.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 17 2022, 02:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif

The CD Ignition used on the 914-6 only sends a very low voltage through the points. All of the high voltage is handled at the coil and in the CD box. The only reason you have to change the points in a 914-6 is rubbing block on the points wear out, causing a dwell change.

The 1965 911 had a kettering ignition (points and condenser). The engine fouled plugs on a regular basis. So the CD ignition was developed to provide a hotter spark to prevent fouling of the plugs. That's why there is a condenser mount on the Marelli distributor. But the condenser was never installed.

Hope that explains it.

Clay
rgalla9146

I concur....three times
DennisV
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 17 2022, 02:21 PM) *

The CD Ignition used on the 914-6 only sends a very low voltage through the points. All of the high voltage is handled at the coil and in the CD box. The only reason you have to change the points in a 914-6 is rubbing block on the points wear out, causing a dwell change.

The 1965 911 had a kettering ignition (points and condenser). The engine fouled plugs on a regular basis. So the CD ignition was developed to provide a hotter spark to prevent fouling of the plugs. That's why there is a condenser mount on the Marelli distributor. But the condenser was never installed.

@ClayPerrine
Thanks for this. Very educational. I find it's much easier for me to remember stuff if I know why things are the way they are. Porsche usually seems to have had a good reason, it just isn't always obvious or well documented.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.