Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk hinge spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
What is the best technique for installing the front trunk spring without scratching the heck out of it?
mepstein
Prop the lid up to the max height. Wear a pair of leather gloves. Get it done.
wonkipop
@mepstein 's got strong fingers and hands. biggrin.gif

factory technique.
maybe sub a zip tie.
never done it myself.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
I have done something like the factory method, with thick wall 1/2" square tubing, and multiple loops of safety wire. I would not trust a zip tie.
Medtner3
THANKS to all I will get a good pair of leather gloves and attempt something in realm of the factory method!!!!
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 17 2022, 07:34 PM) *

I have done something like the factory method, with thick wall 1/2" square tubing, and multiple loops of safety wire. I would not trust a zip tie.

good point.
esp where fresh paint or fingers are in the vicinity. blink.gif

partwerks
I just used about 1/4" nylon rope tied to the end of the spring, and hooked to the bumper of the pickup, with it in neutral, and pushed a bit by hand to just get it unhooked. I think I just laid some cardboard under it, so it didn't rub. Worked good.
Rand
Agree with mepstein. I use my welding gloves. It's really not hard, just pull firm and quick and hook it on. You could be done in seconds, way before you can retrieve zip ties, wire, or other accessories.
cholland_
Factory method with coat hanger wire, a 1/2" breaker bar and a really big beach towel.
NARP74
I have a spring tool from a trampoline, can buy them online cheap, works great. After doing 50 or 100 on a tramp, this is a piece of cake.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 17 2022, 06:39 PM) *

Agree with mepstein. I use my welding gloves. It's really not hard, just pull firm and quick and hook it on. You could be done in seconds, way before you can retrieve zip ties, wire, or other accessories.

agree.gif
Suuuuuuper easy with some landspaping leather gloves, and no one has ever accused me of having a strong grip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.