Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crank pulley removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-Kazoo
Trying to remove the pulley fitting from the crankshaft. Past 4 days I've used blaster and heat but no luck.. Ive added the bolts to exert some force but reluctant to tighter to much for fear of damaging fitting or crank. Can someone offer advice on how to remove? Thanks for the help. Click to view attachment
brant
its been a while for me....
but I "think" that one is a taper fit and requires lots and lots of heat....
plus possibly a new seal afterwards.
A three armed puller may help also
Brant
914werke
there is a special tool you are missing. Nothing more than a piece of sheet steel shaped like a C
Once slid behind the hub use those 3 bolts & it'll pop right off.
DONT use the case in it place ~
mgphoto
Take a flat piece of steel, 1/8 inch thick 2 inches wide 4 inches long.
Screw bolts long enough to contact the steel as you place it against the case, screw down on the plate and move it to the other screw holes and do the same, it will push off eventually.
914Sixer
Factory tool Looks like this
930cabman
Yes, use a puller for sure as it is a tapered fit. I use a smallish steering wheel puller.

DO NOT pry against the case
914-Kazoo
Its off !!! Thanks guys for all the suggestions
Dave_Darling
Special tool not required--just get some fender washers or other moderately thick pieces of sheet metal to spread the load across the face of the crankcase. Thread the fan bolts into the hub far enough to trap the washers between the bolt ends and the case. Then turn them all about a half-turn at a time, one after the other. It'll pop off easily.

--DD
930cabman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 22 2022, 05:33 PM) *

Special tool not required--just get some fender washers or other moderately thick pieces of sheet metal to spread the load across the face of the crankcase. Thread the fan bolts into the hub far enough to trap the washers between the bolt ends and the case. Then turn them all about a half-turn at a time, one after the other. It'll pop off easily.

--DD

Great tip Dave
iankarr
Congrats on getting it off! Bet it startled ya when it popped free smile.gif I put a white sheet on the floor so I can find the woodruff key if it pops out.
914-Kazoo
Ian, I could have used that warning couple of days ago, yes it did catch me off guard when that baby popped off.

Thanks again for everyones help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.