Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rabbit Holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I was pushing in the clutch while the car was not running, just sitting in the garage. I heard a squeak so I decided to investigate. I notice the pedal arm was hitting the side of the pedal board. So I reached down and tried to move the board a little bit. Too my surprise it moved a lot. I crawled in the foot well hole and started looking more carefully with a good light due to black interior. I noticed that the hardware on the right side by the accel pedal was missing. OK, put that on the list. Then I started to loosen the hardware by the clutch pedal, it was several washers stacked up and a Phillips head screw, took that out. I was able to get the pedal board set so the clutch pedal did not rub the board and squeak. Mission semi accomplished, how hard could this be. Off to the PET for some research. More questions, more posts on World, ask a few people and get some answers. OK, after several days I know what I need with some certainty. I talk to a local parts hoarders and he says he has some to sell. We arrange a time to meet and look for stuff and of course talk 914 language quite a bit. I get what I need and head home. This has been several days by now. A day or two later I go to Ace Hdw to get two lock washers that I did not have and go back home. I pull into the garage and start to put things together but the bolt wont thread in the hole by the accel cable. I am down in the hole all contorted into a back breaking shape and the sweat is pouring off my face, it's 95 in the garage and I am getting frustrated. I finally get to the metal plate that has the threaded hole in the plate and take it out. I decided to chase the threads from the back side with a tap because no matter what I do I can't get the screw started. Rinse and repeat a few times from the front and the back and I call it quits for the night, too hot and too dark.

A few days go by and I start looking at the plate and I notice it is all bent out of shape. So I decide to start bending it and hammering it back into a better shape. I get it back where I am OK with it and check the threads one more time, it works.

A few more days go by and I am starting to put things back together. I get the plate installed and check the threads again, still works but the pedal board doesn't fit right. I find a wad of elec wires for aux gauges in the center console in the way. Now I have to tie them up out of the way. I don't have the OCD wiring gene like BBrock so I do a "temp" fix that will work. You can't see it and it wont fall down. I get the board to lay flay and get the hardware on the right side started, this is where I was a week ago, it works this time. I go to the left side and it works too, on a roll. I adjust the board side to side, no contact, no squeaks and tighten both bolts. Success I think. I get back out of the hole, sit down and try the clutch, no squeaks. BUT now I hear a rattle. I crawl back into the hole and start touching and moving things around. One of the clutch stop adjusting nuts is loose and the washer on it is moving around. Back out of the hole, grab a nut driver or three back in the hole and tighten it. Back out of the hole and sit down and try things all over again and success!

So a week and a half and many hours of work later the question I have is how do I adjust the pedal stop for the clutch? Dark, the mosquitoes are out due the monsoon rains we had earlier in the week and time to quit again.

This is why I can't get the car ready for a Red Rocks Classic run. Maybe in a couple of years at this rate.
infraredcalvin
Old cars… gotta love ‘em….
steuspeed
Everything is in tight little spaces on these cars. Sometime I need to walk away and come back another day.
930cabman
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 20 2022, 12:58 AM) *

Everything is in tight little spaces on these cars. Sometime I need to walk away and come back another day.

Good advice, often you need to gain a new perspective. Our 914's are basic but not always easy
nditiz1
One nice thing about a car that's not perfect, bust out that grinder. I have like 4 additional access holes in my center tunnel. All covered by carpet so you'd never know.
930cabman
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 20 2022, 10:30 AM) *

One nice thing about a car that's not perfect, bust out that grinder. I have like 4 additional access holes in my center tunnel. All covered by carpet so you'd never know.

agree.gif agree.gif

Why not, it's simple to tack them back in if you like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.