Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this part and what does it do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DahlbergDiver
Searched around a bunch but couldn't find what this piece is called or what it does. It's the sheet metal directly above the steering rack. The thing I'm trying to figure out is if it is a structural piece or not. If it's not, what does it do? Just keep road debris and water from getting above the steering rack?
Reason I'm asking is because mine was badly rusted and I had to cut the whole thing out. Do I need to fab something to replace it to add structure or just to seal off that part of the car from the elements?
Jett
QUOTE(DahlbergDiver @ Aug 20 2022, 07:33 AM) *

Searched around a bunch but couldn't find what this piece is called or what it does. It's the sheet metal directly above the steering rack. The thing I'm trying to figure out is if it is a structural piece or not. If it's not, what does it do? Just keep road debris and water from getting above the steering rack?
Reason I'm asking is because mine was badly rusted and I had to cut the whole thing out. Do I need to fab something to replace it to add structure or just to seal off that part of the car from the elements?

https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP338A

You will want to put it back, as it provides some structural support and protection.

914Rubber. has the two rubber seals that go on either side.
DahlbergDiver
Thanks but that's not the piece I was trying to describe. The one I'm talking about is directly above the steering rack. It is sandwiched between the steering rack and the gas tank. It's welded to the body and it has a 4 inch hole in the center of it that the steering shaft goes through.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes you MUST replace it! It is part of the floor pan and a structural member. Comes with the front floor repair pan or as "the hump"
tygaboy
You'll want to replace that. See if you can find someone willing to remove that piece from a parts car or, as you mention, fab something to take its place.
DahlbergDiver
Thanks, guys. That is the answer I was looking for. I'll get the bugger fixed.
Mikey914
Taylor had to replace his completely. This thread details the complete removal and installation it 1st appears in 20,29, 52.

While I don't think you will need to to this the thread should help you visualize what's going on.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...%20Wes&st=0

You should be able to use the cut and patch technique like we did on the wheel wells in the thread.
SirAndy
@peteyd

I'm surprised RD doesn't have a replacement as this is a common rust spot.
idea.gif
DahlbergDiver
Thanks guys. figured it had to be a common problem since it looks like brake fluid from the reservoir rusted out one side, and maybe fuel spillage or leaks took out the other side. It also seems like a great place for water to get into and sit. I do wish a brand new piece was available, but I'm gonna test out my fab skills.
Ishley
I’ve just been working on mine this morning and for most of this week…Cutting out portions and welding in patches. I’ve renamed this area the gashole. Really tough spot to work on even with the car flipped on its side.
914werke
Or Mice... (phew) laugh.gif
914fahrer
Here is a picture from the important part.
Click to view attachment
DahlbergDiver
This part of the car really is a pain in the butt to work on.
Can anyone tell me what these oval holes are for? There was no lines or anything going through them when I got the car.
914fahrer
These holes are for lines to the breakfluid resovoir.
michelko
QUOTE(DahlbergDiver @ Aug 20 2022, 12:13 PM) *

This part of the car really is a pain in the butt to work on.
Can anyone tell me what these oval holes are for? There was no lines or anything going through them when I got the car.

Brakefluid Feed lines from Reservoir to Master cylinder

Michael
Mikey914
Lots of good pics in the thread
peteyd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2022, 09:10 AM) *

@peteyd

idea.gif

This is an area we intend to provide. I will be starting another 914 tool very shortly. I will let people know when it is closer to being released.

Pete
914werke
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 2 2022, 07:28 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2022, 09:10 AM) *
@peteyd
idea.gif
This is an area we intend to provide. I will be starting another 914 tool very shortly. I will let people know when it is closer to being released.
Pete
Any update on THIS one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.