Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Joy of a 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I really can't describe it any better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QklU15spA3Q

https://youtube.com/shorts/QklU15spA3Q
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 24 2022, 01:53 PM) *

Dog deserves an immediate 'Attaboy (or 'Attagirl), nice vocals and 914 background symphony biggrin.gif
Marty
Craigers17
Proof that the thrill isn't limited to homo erectus.
NARP74
That's hilarious!
KELTY360
Here I thought I was the only one who lets out a howl in the 914! Guess I'm in good company. driving.gif
rjames
laugh.gif aktion035.gif
Dion
That is THE best! Talk about stamp of approval Brent. I think he speaks for all of us here. cheer.gif
autopro
He's having a blast aktion035.gif I wonder what my wife will do when I take her for a ride?
SO.O.C914er
I’ve owned three Huskies since 1985. Or they’ve owned me! Beautiful joy ride driving.gif thanks for sharing and making my day. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Aug 24 2022, 07:47 PM) *

I’ve owned three Huskies since 1985. Or they’ve owned me! Beautiful joy ride driving.gif thanks for sharing and making my day. beerchug.gif

Ha ha. Yeah, you get it. That's malamute #4 for us singing in that vid. I'm a slow learner. screwy.gif He was coming home from a 2 month check up after finishing chemo therapy for cancer and getting a clean bill of health, so that might explain some of the joy. piratenanner.gif
siverson
You win Youtube.

-Steve
Montreal914
It doesn't get more genuine than this! laugh.gif

Even better, it is looping on YouTube lol-2.gif
Krieger
Awesome! Best drive ever!
Montreal914
Ok, now I can't stop thinking about this... idea.gif

So, was your dog riding in your car before the restoration? Did he spend time in the garage while you were working on it? smile.gif

If so, he is really one of us! sunglasses.gif

930cabman
Great vid, I was fearful our yellow lab was going to jump when I took her for a ride, but she is too domesticated.

maybe I can get my wife to perform in a similar fashion?
Puebloswatcop
That is awesome. Great thing that not just us humans love such a great machine. Thanks for sharing
bbrock
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 24 2022, 11:06 PM) *

Ok, now I can't stop thinking about this... idea.gif

So, was your dog riding in your car before the restoration? Did he spend time in the garage while you were working on it? smile.gif

If so, he is really one of us! sunglasses.gif

Believe it or not, this was only his second real ride in the car with the first being last Sunday. The story is a little complicated. First, I want to give a nod to our first malamute, Amorak, who absolutely LOVED this car back in the 80s. She was always ready to hop into the passenger seat even if it was just sitting in the car port.

My restoration build project began with malamute #3, Niaquq, who was the best dog I've ever known. He was a constant companion and appears in many photos from the first 2 years of my project. He would have loved riding in this car and was a big motivation for keeping up the pace on the resto. We lost him quite suddenly on my wife's birthday in 2020.

Two months later, we found ourselves in Puyallup, WA pickup malamute #4, Kalluq, from the same malamute rescue we got Niaquq the same weekend the first COVID cases in the U.S. were confirmed in Seattle. Kalluq settled in pretty quickly as garage supervisor but is an absolute wrecking ball (his nickname) in everything he does so I was nervous about his prospects as a road companion. I did encourage him to get in the car as I worked on it.

He loves going for rides our other cars, but when the engine went into the 914, he hated it. It was much too loud. If I started the engine while he was sitting in the car, he would immediately jump out. Even if he was near the car, he would run away when the engine fired up. Swapping out to a quieter muffler helped a lot and he would hang out by the car and let me pet him even while it was running.

Last year, I gave him a few short rides at low speed which didn't motivate me to try taking him for a real ride. The wrecking ball was doing his thing. He was better with the top off than on which was the only glimmer of hope. Over the last year I've been acclimating him more to the car and finally on Sunday, decided to test a real ride that would include 10 miles on the Interstate at 75-80mph. I started on the frontage road and brought the car slowly up to speed to see how he would react. He did great and was happy to have his nose in the wind. So I drove to town to run a couple errands and he did fine.

Now I need to order a proper seat cover to prevent the wrecking ball from destroying the seat, plus add a "creature comfort" to better accommodate his 130 lb. hulk.

Here's a little photo essay:

His first day at home with us.

IPB Image

Mr. Inspector

IPB Image

Just before the maiden voyage. He did not go with.

IPB Image

Taken by our vet yesterday.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.