Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Equipment Supplier (OES) List
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
I am trying to compile a list of 914 / 914-6 original equipment suppliers (OES). If you’re working on a restoration and care about originality, or just want to insure form / fit / function replacement parts, I think this would sure be handy.

If find that OES gets muddied quite a bit when parts shopping. Ironically, Pelican Parts provides pretty decent definitions, but then lumps OES and OEM together in labeling. It appears to me that a lot of sites blatantly mislabel things as OEM, when they’re not. Maybe I’m just ignorant of how many different suppliers there actually were.
  • OE (Original Equipment parts): Porsche supplied parts (even if made by someone else), as you’d get from the Porsche dealer.
  • OES (Original Equipment Supplier): the current or past supplier of the original equipment Porsche part
  • OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer): parts from companies that offer exact-fit replacement Porsche parts, but may not have been the original supplier. (DV note: This sounds a lot like after market to me. You are trusting that the manufacturer cares about their spec, and your fit, as it hasn't been validated by Porsche.)
Who can help correct or add to the list? Several I dug out of the extremely helpful The 914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity.
  • Starter: Bosch
  • Distributor: Bosch, Marelli
  • Alternator (aka generator): Bosch
  • Coil: Bosch
  • Pistons: Mahle?
  • Fuel injection: Bosch
  • Carberators: Zenith, Solex, Weber
  • Fuel pump (electric): Bosch
  • Regulator (generator / starter): Bosch
  • Clutch: Sachs?
  • Muffler: Leistritz?
  • Shocks and struts: Koni, Bilstein, Boge
  • CV joins: Lobro?
  • Brakes pads: ATE?
  • Brake rotors: ATE? Sebro?
  • Brake calipers: ATE?
  • Wheels: Volkswagen (steel), Pedrini, Mahle (cast alloy), Fuchs (forged alloy)
  • Horns: Hella
  • Headlights: Hella
  • Glass: Delodur?
  • Air conditioning: DPD, VPC (Volkswagen Product Corporation)
  • Radio: Blaupunkt, Becker
  • Gauges: VDO
DennisV
Surely someone can help confirm the assumptions on this list. Clutch, exhaust, brakes, etc. I am guessing on those. Given there is a whole section on the forum for Originality, I would have thought knowing the OES for components would be helpful. Are they common knowledge and I'm just not finding it?
JeffBowlsby
Windshield: Sigla
Seatbelts: Repa
Exterior lighting/lenses: Hella
Tires: Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein
Charcoal canisters: Audi
LE spoiler: VW
Air Conditioning: VPC (Volkswagen Products Corp.), DPD Manufacturing
Side stripes: Spartan Plastics, distributed by VOA (Volkswagen of America)
Various accessories: AMCO, Karo, Barrecrafters, Piper, Natco, Mohn, Ferrigan & Obrien, Mitcom
Ignition: Beru
wonkipop
QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 26 2022, 06:40 AM) *

I am trying to compile a list of 914 / 914-6 original equipment suppliers (OES). If you’re working on a restoration and care about originality, or just want to insure form / fit / function replacement parts, I think this would sure be handy.

If find that OES gets muddied quite a bit when parts shopping. Ironically, Pelican Parts provides pretty decent definitions, but then lumps OES and OEM together in labeling. It appears to me that a lot of sites blatantly mislabel things as OEM, when they’re not. Maybe I’m just ignorant of how many different suppliers there actually were.
  • OE (Original Equipment parts): Porsche supplied parts (even if made by someone else), as you’d get from the Porsche dealer.
  • OES (Original Equipment Supplier): the current or past supplier of the original equipment Porsche part
  • OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer): parts from companies that offer exact-fit replacement Porsche parts, but may not have been the original supplier. (DV note: This sounds a lot like after market to me. You are trusting that the manufacturer cares about their spec, and your fit, as it hasn't been validated by Porsche.)
Who can help correct or add to the list? Several I dug out of the extremely helpful The 914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity.
  • Starter: Bosch
  • Distributor: Bosch, Marelli
  • Alternator (aka generator): Bosch
  • Coil: Bosch
  • Pistons: Mahle?
  • Fuel injection: Bosch
  • Carberators: Zenith, Solex, Weber
  • Fuel pump (electric): Bosch
  • Regulator (generator / starter): Bosch
  • Clutch: Sachs?
  • Muffler: Leistritz?
  • Shocks and struts: Koni, Bilstein, Boge
  • CV joins: Lobro?
  • Brakes pads: ATE?
  • Brake rotors: ATE? Sebro?
  • Brake calipers: ATE?
  • Wheels: Volkswagen (steel), Pedrini, Mahle (cast alloy), Fuchs (forged alloy)
  • Horns: Hella
  • Headlights: Hella
  • Glass: Delodur?
  • Air conditioning: DPD, VPC (Volkswagen Product Corporation)
  • Radio: Blaupunkt, Becker
  • Gauges: VDO

clutch you ask.

i pulled the original factory installed rubber core clutch out of my 74 1,8 a couple of years ago. it had disintegrated.

it is the OES you speak of - not OEM

its fully branded as a VW part only.
VW stamp. VW part no. 022 141 025 D.
and it has SCHWEINFURT stamped on it.

which means in fact it was made by Fichtel and Sachs? 99.9% on that.
and like a lot of OES material in the cars does not carry manufacturer branding.
i've looked right over the clutch, the pressure plate, the whole thing.
no Fichtel and Sachs branding anywhere or Sachs part #.
but it could not have been made by anyone else.

completely obsolete part now. the rubber core types long gone.
i believe they were designed to stop chatter.
not a great idea as the cores could disintegrate.
eventually do with the rubber perishing anyway if you store the car for a long time.

-----
mufflers could be made by a variety of companies.
i had a Lange muffler on my 74 1.8 in 89 and still have it on the shelf.
it may well have been the factory fitted original. it looked like it.
this was the later type of muffler that did not have the seperate tail pipe small additional muffler but rather was the single unit.

the steel wheels (star steelies) were manufactured by Lemmertz.
davep
You complain about the OEM confusion and rightly so, there is even a manufacturer or distributor that uses the name OEM as it's brand name to confuse and annoy consumers.
Zimmerman for brake rotors as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.