Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to remove trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
do you have to remove the engine to remove the tranny. last upper bolt on starter is the hangup. cant get a wrench on it
TravisNeff
If you can get a hold of it with an open end wrench, you can spin the other side inside the engine bay. To just pull the trans, you need to pull the muffler, maybe exchangers - it would almost be easier to to the whole shebang.
LukeD
"echocanyons" did it a few weeks ago to replace rear main seal. I was there sorta helping, he has a 72 1.7, not sure if there are different bolts smash.gif
messix
no wonder the krauts lost Both wars, I'm gonna start cussin real soon mad.gif
Joe Bob
It can be done......when I was building my house....no room to work on a 914 and needed a clutch....took it to Captain Crusty's....he did the trans only removal on one of the sixer's I had.

Pulled the exhaust, chained up the engine dropped the trans....BUT..."I" have always pulled them and installed them as a unit.
MrKona
Use the clutch replacement tech article from Pelican parts. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace1.htm
Sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink yet, but I followed this article just last week, and it all went real smoothly.

Cap'n Krusty
I've seen Otto do a clutch without completely removing the trans ............ The Cap'n
MrKona
I should add...the nut you're talking about by the starter is removed from the engine bay side. Look in the engine bay on the top left side of the engine case with a flashlight and you'll find it. Just don't drop the nut as you loosen it ... I'd have a magnet pick-up tool ready just in case. Just follow the tech article and you can pull the tranny off just fine, leaving the engine in.
messix
thanks guys. didnt know the bolts had nuts on them , thought they tapped into the engine case. much easier.
messix
ok the damn thing is in. now i need my friend that is 7' tall to come over and hold that figgin nut in place while i try to get the bolt through it.[cause i still have the car 3' in the air to work under it]

had some carnage. dropped the tranny of the jack and broke the shifter rod pad. good thing i had the old one, robbed it off the old and put it on the new old tranny is only gonna be good for parts, grinding 1st and 2nd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.