Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doobie123
hi ya'll
working on my 1975, 914. 1.8, 5spd. dual weber 44 idf carbs.
so i had the car running and idling just fine yesterday. shut it down and then this morning, it would not start. the fuel pump (new) sounded like it was working hard so i thought i may have run the tank dry. put 5 gals in and the pump was quieter but still no start. i took the fuel line off at the t before the carbs and it was not getting fuel.

now i should say that yesterday when i first turned it on and the pump kicked on, the passenger side carb overflowed with fuel like the float was stuck. i had taken both carbs apart and cleaned and inspected them prior to starting and they were pretty dirty but to my untrained eye, seemed fine. it was then that i realized i had not replaced a thing in the fuel line before the t called a filt o reg s300. when i put this back in the line, the carb did not overflow and the car started. now it won't.
so i have this filt o reg between the incoming fuel line and the t that feeds both carbs. in addition, i put a clear plastic filter in the same line because even though i had the tank boiled out and flushed the lines, i was concerned what crud may still be in there.

also, when i take the fuel line off and turn the pump on, no fuel comes out of the line. when i remove the filt o reg, it pumps fine.
so what could be causing this? i did a search on this filt o reg and it looks like a vintage item i also opened it up and it seems to be ok. free of any crud and the diaphragm is in tact. so what is the deal? is there a new part that replaces this? is it even needed? i'm gonna pop the passenger side carb off and see if the float is stuck and maybe eliminate the filt o reg but i'd love some feed back and suggestions.
sorry for the long story but, i wanted to try and include as much info as i can. i should also say that in addition to the pump. i also replaced all the lines and square filter with a lower fuel line kit from auto atlanta
thanks
TheCabinetmaker
What's a filt o reg?
worn
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 27 2022, 03:09 PM) *

What's a filt o reg?

agree.gif
Superhawk996
Get rid of old “filt o reg” fuel pressure regulator. The fact that it isn’t flowing means it is not working properly.

Plenty of modern, reliable fuel pressure regulators available for reasonable prices.

You don’t mention what fuel pump your using. Depending on pump, you may not even need the pressure regulator. Can’t answer with certainty without that detail or knowing how much pressure your fuel pump is putting out. Carb only needs about 3 psi.
TheCabinetmaker
44s are way too big for a 1.8
TheCabinetmaker
Noisy pump normally means your filter is clogged
930cabman
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 28 2022, 11:05 AM) *

44s are way too big for a 1.8

agree.gif I tried it and can firmly say 1.8 does not have enough power to get a good signal. Even a 2056 will barely make it with 44's

What kind of pump? history on the engine? an inline pressure gauge is also a good item when running carbs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.