Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever see one of these before?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
Just curious if you have run across a 914 part like this before? Came from an early 914.

Click to view attachment

It's not mine, just posting for a friend to understand the value. biggrin.gif

Dave B
914Sixer
That's a "thing amabob" confused24.gif
lesorubcheek
Looks like an overly stretched Chinese handcuff or a very long double ended leaky condom. Seriously, I've seen some wire looms or shields that look similar to this made of both metal and synthetic material, but haven't seen this type of loom used on our '74 914.

Dan
zipedadoo
kind of looks like a ground strap. Its a bit long though.
DaveB
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 28 2022, 06:59 PM) *

@914Sixer , That would be a Driver's Side only thingamabob.
DaveB
This piece is a Porsche part and it came from a 1972 914.

DaveB
TonyA
Snake skin… watch out. Might have something lurking in the tunnel.
wonkipop
rastafarian hair net.
mgp4591
Some lady's fishnet stocking... probably has been there since the 80s... shades.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(DaveB @ Aug 28 2022, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 28 2022, 06:59 PM) *

@914Sixer , That would be a Driver's Side only thingamabob.

Early or late? Not sure which one I need.
StarBear
NOS black hole time/space portal. Aftermarket; very rare as they usually come in silver. Special order for VERY long distance drives only.
jrmdir
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Octopus hair net, you need 7 more for the full set.
DaveB
and now for the answer...

I dropped my 914 off for chemical dipping.

Click to view attachment

Notice the rocker panels are open

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The crew at the metal dippers haven't worked on a 914 until this month. They had a '72 in the hot tank while I was there. They didn't know you needed to to remove this:

Click to view attachment

They couldn't understand what was causing sludge until they looked inside the rocker panel of the 914 they pulled out of the tank. What they saw were the remains of the air duct muffler. They tried to remove it thought the inspection ports and couldn't get it off the front and rear pipes. Eventually cut the panels open to get it out. I couldn't understand why they left after they saw my panels open and then came back with this mesh and the story of spending a day getting this sorted out.

Click to view attachment

That is all that remains of the air muffler. They are keeping it around for a lessons learned on 914s.

DaveB

930cabman
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 29 2022, 12:30 AM) *

Some lady's fishnet stocking... probably has been there since the 80s... shades.gif

My guess exactly, the cabin is somewhat small in a 914, but kids will be kids

back to business, what is the chemical being used?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Aug 28 2022, 08:06 PM) *

kind of looks like a ground strap. Its a bit long though.

agree.gif

What I was thinking as well. Someone forgot to remove it and then pulled the trans out.
DaveB
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 30 2022, 09:20 AM) *

back to business, what is the chemical being used?

They never said what was in the tanks. My guess is the first tank is a heated sodium hydroxide base solution. That was the tank that melted off the muffler coating and strips the paint. The second tank is probably a diluted phosphoric acid but their answer was it is a mix. Lots of tri-five trucks and hardtops, XKE's and Cuda's waiting to get beautified.

DaveB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.