Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Bubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Has anyone replaced their stop light/turn signal/back up light bulbs with Led bulbs? How do they look? Did you have to add a resistor or modify the flasher?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I did, and no to the resistor, I am going to try a set of headlight leds that I bought.

ps: I did my gauges too, I’m happy with the look.
VaccaRabite
Yes, every bulb in my car save the GEN bulb is now LED.
For my brakes and turns I used the SpokeWorks LED boards.

Zach
bbrock
I did too. Completely plug and play and way brighter than the incandescent bulbs. I used red bulbs for taillight and side markers so even with European amber lenses, they light up red and are DOT legal.
Geezer914
Thanks for the replies. Ordered Sylvania Zevo bulbs, amber, white and red. already changed the dash and gauge lights with blue LED's.
Jamie
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 29 2022, 02:18 PM) *

Thanks for the replies. Ordered Sylvania Zevo bulbs, amber, white and red. already changed the dash and gauge lights with blue LED's.

So what is a preferred source for the variety of bulbs required for such a lighting upgrade?
bbrock
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 29 2022, 05:20 PM) *

So what is a preferred source for the variety of bulbs required for such a lighting upgrade?

I buy mine from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They have a great tool that will list all the bulbs for a particular vehicle. The only one that was off for me was the interior courtesy light on the rear pad. The one they speced was just a tad too long for the aftermarket fixture most commonly sold. I had to exchange for a bulb a few mm shorter.
FlacaProductions
Agreed on SuperBrightLEDs.com - I've done multiple vehicles through their online tool.
Spoke
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 29 2022, 01:54 PM) *

...Did you have to add a resistor or modify the flasher?
Click to view attachment

You save a lot of power going to LED turnsignals then re-burn the power in a power resistor. It's best to put in an LED-compatible flasher. EP26 is readily available and the C2 pin can be internally connect for either the early separate L and R tach indicators or the single L/R tach indicator in the later 914's.
mgphoto
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 29 2022, 05:55 PM) *

I buy mine from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They have a great tool that will list all the bulbs for a particular vehicle. The only one that was off for me was the interior courtesy light on the rear pad. The one they speced was just a tad too long for the aftermarket fixture most commonly sold. I had to exchange for a bulb a few mm shorter.

Could you indicate which would be the bulb for the aftermarket fixture and a replacement for the original fixture?
Thanks
aharder
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 29 2022, 01:28 PM) *

Yes, every bulb in my car except the GEN bulb is now LED.
For my brakes and turns I used the SpokeWorks LED boards.

Zach

Ditto !
bbrock
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Aug 30 2022, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 29 2022, 05:55 PM) *

Could you indicate which would be the bulb for the aftermarket fixture and a replacement for the original fixture?
Thanks

I can't believe I was able to find my receipt so easily! Here's the bulb that worked for me: https://www.superbrightleds.com/3710-led-bu...olor-Warm~3300K and the interior fixture is the empi that is sold everywhere. I bought mine from 914Rubber: https://914rubber.com/interior-light-1. The online bulb tool specifies a 44mm bulb which is too long.
Chris914n6
The resistor and flasher relay is for the modern cars that blink faster when a bulb burns out, or has the CANBUS/BCM that expects a certain resistance.
We already have the 'led spec' relay, that has a built in timer mechanism.

I got my bulbs off Amazon, about $15 a pair. Plenty bright and nicely made. The front turns don't match up with the filament location so the refection is off but I only noticed it with the clear lenses. I went back to amber so the whole lens glows like stock.

The other nice thing about led blinkers is the dash lights don't dim as much.
Geezer914
I replaced the bulbs with Sylvania ZEVO LED lights through Amazon.

1157A Amber front turn signals
Rear Lights
1156R Red
1157R
1156 white

BA9 white LED's for the rear side marker lights (Superbright)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.