Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: taillight bulb loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
One of the bulbs in my Drivers side taillight keeps loosening and whenever it goes out the left blinker won't work and the relay buzzes when I signal left.

How can I fix the taillight bulb or socket so this will stop happening. It barely makes a connection currently and a little bump in the road and it stops working
bdstone914
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Aug 30 2022, 09:56 AM) *

One of the bulbs in my Drivers side taillight keeps loosening and whenever it goes out the left blinker won't work and the relay buzzes when I signal left.

How can I fix the taillight bulb or socket so this will stop happening. It barely makes a connection currently and a little bump in the road and it stops working

I had that problem on another car and wrapped some Teflon thread tape around the top of the bulb base to hold it in place. You can try to wedge a very thin screw driver between the socked and plastic housing the crimp the socket. Yiu may try a new bukb. The soldier blobs that make electrical contact get flattened over time.
Medtner3
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 30 2022, 12:08 PM) *

I had that problem on another car and wrapped some Teflon thread tape around the top of the bulb base to hold it in place. You can try to wedge a very thin screw driver between the socked and plastic housing the crimp the socket. Yiu may try a new bukb. The soldier blobs that make electrical contact get flattened over time.

thanks for the suggestion will work on it
Spoke
If the tab at the bottom of the socket is bent backwards the bulb may not make good contact. You can slightly bend it upward but may need to disassemble the fixture.

Make sure the socket is clean and not oxidized. If the tab is bent down and you can't get it bent up, you could always put a bit more solder on the bulb contact on the bottom of the bulb.
Medtner3
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Aug 30 2022, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 30 2022, 12:08 PM) *

thanks for the suggestion will work on it

Just added the tape and fixed the loose bulb. Also, used your thin screwdriver technique and pried up the tabs under the light bulb. The bulb itself is worn at the bottom and likely needs replacement, but cleaned the contacts that were green with corrosion on the socket with a dremel and electrical contact cleaner, and everything is now working fantastic!!

Thank you so much! Both your suggestions worked
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.