Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about the powder coating on my car's spindles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Just got the batch of powder coated suspension parts I was hoping to have ready in time to make it to the Oregon West Coast Ramble! Long story short - they got the parts later than I'd hoped and then it took them two months to turn it around.

Everything looks good, except I'd asked them to not coat this surface outlined below. Will I need to grind/remove any of this off that face? I'm just not sure if this really affects anything at the end of the day, but I'd like to be sure.

Click to view attachment

I'm curious because the original surface is unpainted and machined from the factory:

Click to view attachment

Thanks in advance!

Randy
RoadGlue
I have no idea why that last pic is showing up twice as it's not there when I go into the edit mode...
mepstein

You can always take a 3m stripping wheel to the machined part and get it to bare metal. Many times that’s easier than trying to mask. Usually the area where the calipers contact should be bare so not to change dimensions.
Superhawk996
Your fine. Only the dust shield attaches to that area.

The hub seal runs on the “step” which is clean.

You should remove the powder coat locally where the calipers mate to the spindle. Powder coat makes for a soft joint and will lead to the brake caliper bolts losing torque and coming loose.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2022, 02:06 PM) *

You can always take a 3m stripping wheel to the machined part and get it to bare metal. Many times that’s easier than trying to mask. Usually the area where the calipers contact should be bare so not to change dimensions.

Wow, this post is cursed. Look at all the quoted text in your reply from another thread.

Ah! Thanks for the heads-up on both the caliper mounting surfaces and the 3M stripping pads.

Do you think it's best to remove it from the face around the base of the spindle then too?

Cheers
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2022, 02:07 PM) *

Your fine. Only the dust shield attaches to that area.

The hub seal runs on the “step” which is clean.

You should remove the powder coat locally where the calipers mate to the spindle. Powder coat makes foe a soft joint and will lead to the brake caliper bolts losing torque and coming loose.

Okay, perfect! Thank you so much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.