Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer suspension console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wadesbrain
Hey guys I'm looking for a donor for my right side outer suspension console. I know they are rare but if anyone has an idea where to get one or know of a donor car that has one I would appreciate it.
brant
Restoration Design

there are sometimes a used one....
but this is the same side that all of us rip out..
(mine has ripped out 2 times now)

so new is the most likely
brant
nathanxnathan
I don't think RD has either outer suspension console. I think this is what op is looking for.

IPB Image
Wadesbrain
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 31 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Restoration Design

brant

Does RD even make an outer one? I can't find it on their site.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Aug 31 2022, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 31 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Restoration Design

brant

Does RD even make an outer one? I can't find it on their site.

No.

You were on the right track trying to find donor sheet metal

Post a WTB ad in the for sale forum
friethmiller
Had the same issue. You can either repair it or find a donor. Did I see somewhere that you could buy/replace the 3 bolt 'canisters' in the outer? That might make the repair a bit easier. Post a picture of what you got.
Superhawk996
Duplicate
Superhawk996
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Aug 31 2022, 06:30 PM) *

Had the same issue. You can either repair it or find a donor. Did I see somewhere that you could buy/replace the 3 bolt 'canisters' in the outer? That might make the repair a bit easier. Post a picture of what you got.

Yes, Tangerine Racing sells the threaded ‘canisters’, bobbins, inserts, sleeves, whatever you want to call them.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/chassisrepair.htm
Wadesbrain
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2022, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Aug 31 2022, 06:30 PM) *

Yes, Tangerine Racing sells the threaded ‘canisters’, bobbins, inserts, sleeves, whatever you want to call them.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/chassisrepair.htm

It is hard to get a good picture right now because I haven't removed the suspension yet. Im going to cut the quarter off to get in there for all the other metal that needs to get cut out. Ill post pics when I get there.
Wadesbrain
So the story goes like this. I bought a 73 when I was 21. I didn't know what I was getting into and didn't have the tools, talent, space or money to do what it needed to be saved. I sadly let it go to a local garage and watched them rip it in half to pull the engine. Now 30 years later I have all the requirements as well as a lack of knowing when to quit. I got this 70 rust bucket that surprisingly isn't folding in two but has major hell hole issues. Im not going to let it beat me asecond time. I must admit though this outer console does have me worried. Im planning on blasting it and won't fully know how bad it is until it is clean.
930cabman
They are repairable, it will take time and some fancy footwork.

the things we do for our 50 y/o entry level machines headbang.gif
friethmiller
I'd just hold off till you get in there and check it all out. Mine were really bad but both were repairable. I soaked them in a bucket of rust remover. That really did the trick for the insides. Any holes were simply repaired with new metal. The most important thing to remember is the piece HAS to go back in the exact position not just left-to-right on the panel but also vertically, on the panel. I would recommend creating a jig the bolts into the outer's suspension "canisters". That way you know for sure, 100%, that it's going back on in the exact same position.

Passenger side (with holes that were repaired):
Click to view attachment

Drivers side:
Click to view attachment
Wadesbrain
I made some progress today. Removed front and rear suspension. Im not discouraged like I was yesterday. The inner console definitely will be replaced. I think I can get away with welding g the outer in place. Overall it seems pretty solid. There is a nickel size hole that doesn't go all the way through and is solid surrounding it. I think I can fill it all in and grind it smooth. Here is a picture of what I'm looking at. The bug gaping hole will be partially replaced by the new inner console and the rest I will cut back and weld in a plate. Thoughts??
sholman5
Try @bdstone914 I bought a pair from him.
friethmiller
Hmmm. I'd cut/pull/peel that gusset off. That's the only way to see what's really going on between the inner and outer console. You can buy a new gusset kit for cheap - $35 - https://914rubber.com/search/?q=suspension%20gusset
Wadesbrain
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Sep 1 2022, 06:04 PM) *

Hmmm. I'd cut/pull/peel that gusset off. That's the only way to see what's really going on between the inner and outer console. You can buy a new gusset kit for cheap - $35 - https://914rubber.com/search/?q=suspension%20gusset

Wow. I didn't even know that was available. Ordered and will do it.

Thanks!
Wade
worn
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Sep 1 2022, 02:25 PM) *

I made some progress today. Removed front and rear suspension. Im not discouraged like I was yesterday. The inner console definitely will be replaced. I think I can get away with welding g the outer in place. Overall it seems pretty solid. There is a nickel size hole that doesn't go all the way through and is solid surrounding it. I think I can fill it all in and grind it smooth. Here is a picture of what I'm looking at. The bug gaping hole will be partially replaced by the new inner console and the rest I will cut back and weld in a plate. Thoughts??

Exactly where mine rusted away.
914werke
Are you doing the inner as well?
I have one (or both depending)
bdstone914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Sep 1 2022, 02:46 PM) *

Try @bdstone914 I bought a pair from him.

All gone
Wadesbrain
Thanks guy for the responses. Ill let you know more when I get the old gussets off. Do you know if the lower part and the shims are available? Mine are fairly solid but pitted. I'd rather replace them if I can.
914werke
Yup got them too.
StarBear
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Sep 5 2022, 01:09 PM) *

Thanks guy for the responses. Ill let you know more when I get the old gussets off. Do you know if the lower part and the shims are available? Mine are fairly solid but pitted. I'd rather replace them if I can.

914 Rubber and AA both have shims.
Wadesbrain
Got to do a little more yesterday. Right now I'm stripping everything out so I can blast what is left. Im bracing everything I can before it goes on the rotisserie. So far it is all straight.
friethmiller
Very nice! I'm right there with you! Here's my bumblebee. Stripped paint/epoxy primered both sides and the cowl. Currently, I'm reinforcing everything before getting up on the rotisserie. My crossbar and tunnel are toast so I'm having to do a little extra on this one.

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Sep 9 2022, 02:03 PM) *

Got to do a little more yesterday. Right now I'm stripping everything out so I can blast what is left. Im bracing everything I can before it goes on the rotisserie. So far it is all straight.

Lookin good. The lengths we go to for our 'entry level' sporting machines??

Keep up the good work and continue to post your progress
Mikey914
QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 5 2022, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Sep 5 2022, 01:09 PM) *

914 Rubber and AA both have shims.

We did the 914rubber ones in stainless, as most looked crusty. Figured why not.
Can easily add in with gusset parts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.