Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another noob!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brew
Well, not totally. I had a 73 2.0 in high school, but that was alot of dead brain cells ago! wacko.gif

Anywho, I just picked up a 74 1.8 today, and I'm pretty giddy about the whole prospect of having another one of these go-carts to play with! aktion035.gif But, me being a noobie and all, I have some simple questions.

The car needs some front wheel bearings before I can drive it, but I dont know how to access them. How does the bearing cap come off?

Where can a guy pick up a service manual? Are they available repopped?

Speaking of repop, who do you guys buy your parts from? Anybody that I should stay away from?

TIA for any advice!
Allan
Welcome to our nightmare...

Buy a Haynes manual as soon as you can. Some of the stuff is pretty accurate.

I don't remember the rest of your question as I have been drinking rum and coke.

I'll be back...
DNHunt
First welcome Brew

Dead brain cells are a requirement for this insanity.

I use a large flatheat screwdriver to get the grease caps off.

There are quite a few places for parts. A lot of guys order from Pelican Parts. They've been good to me for the most part. Some people use GPR I like to talk to people on the phone so I usually call Rich at HPH. I'm sure any of them could hook you up with bearings.

A great source or engine parts is Jake at the Type IV Store.

You should probably avoid Automobile Atlanta. And avoid stromberg.gif at Type IV parts.com like the plaque.

The Haynes Manual is what I depend on. I think Pelican has that. Well worth the money.
rick 918-S
For something like a wheel bearing try your local flaps. NAPA or Pep Boys whoever.

Welcome wavey.gif assimilate.gif
SGB
You'll probably want new rotors/hubs, since the bearing races are integral to the casting. You should be able to get a haynes manual at a local auto parts store- probably... Pelican Parts is my favorite place to buy parts, mostly because they know the cars in-side out, and can get almost anything. The technical info on their site is superb.
Hammy
I've only ordered from Pelican Parts so far (about 5 or 6 times) and am very pleased.
lapuwali
QUOTE (SGB @ Aug 5 2005, 08:34 PM)
You'll probably want new rotors/hubs, since the bearing races are integral to the casting. You should be able to get a haynes manual at a local auto parts store- probably... Pelican Parts is my favorite place to buy parts, mostly because they know the cars in-side out, and can get almost anything. The technical info on their site is superb.

Uh, the races are NOT "integral to the casting". They're pressed in, and can be pressed out, or just beaten out with a BFH. New ones can be pressed in, or frozen and tapped in. BTDT, more than twice.

No need for new rotors/hubs unless the rotors are badly warped or too thin.
Brew
Perfect! Thanks for the info on the bearing caps, and the parts sources. I cant wait to start driving this buggy!
MecGen
Welcome aboard smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
If the wheel bearings are bad you should change over to the new four bolt hubs that let you run vented 911 discs with M calipers.......I hear they are on sale at the club store! biggrin.gif
brant
Welcome Brew,

always nice to see another colorado face..

I can't believe no one has asked...

got any pictures?

brant
Brew
No pics yet, but it's not much to look at anyway. BTW, what's the reccomended fix for the rusty rockers?

Bleyseng, I just saw those! Wow, those are neat! Unfortunately, I'm already butthole deep into another money pit that I have to finish before I start seriously upgrading the 914.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

But, ya'll will be sick of me before too long!
Gint
Welcome to the club Brew!

Come on up to Denver tomorrow. We're choppin up a couple of rusty tubs. You could probably even disect a front hub to see what you're dealing with. You may be able to just snug up those bearings and drive the car a bit before you go crazy.

We have a local email list you might want to sign up for. Click to subscribe to Colorado-914
Brew
I wish I could Gint, but my son and I have 10:00 tee time!

I pcked up some bearings and seals today, but I cannot for the life of me seem to get the bearing caps off! Ya'll are sure they are pressed in, right? I broke one screwdriver, hit em with a fairly BFH, and my best channel locks, and they absolutely will NOT move.
DNHunt
I bet it's got red cancer. They usually come off in 10 seconds. When things are stuck I use a product Kevin turned me onto called Aero-Krol penetrant. Next I use heat. Then I start getting bigger tools. The chance of success goes down with each step. The key is not to go to next step before you're sure the previous one won't work. Is this making any sense? I need another beer.

Good luck man
Brent
.... and a golfer too, sweet! Welcome back to 914 ownership.
Brew
Brent, I'm not a golfer, I'm a hack! But it sure is fun tryin'!

The things look to be in good shape from the outside, but I'll go spray some penetrant right now.

Just so we're clear (because I couldnt find a manual today), the cap is the next thing to come off after the wheel, correct?

Oh! Use the channel locks in conjunction with the hammer! That works! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.