Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
DennisV
Does anyone have access to a new old stock (NOS) or original unmolested starter?

I am rebuilding ours and it will need painting. I have seen a LOT of different paint schemes. They usually seem to include painting everything black, including the nuts, wires, and connectors. dry.gif

My best guess is the aluminum driven end shield was left natural silver and the rest of the body was painted satin black. Including the solenoid. Connectors, nuts, wires, studs, etc left natural or with their zinc / cad coating (i.e. not black).

Click to view attachment
Photo source Sierra Madre
wonkipop
whats this for? 4 or 6?

believe i have original starter motor on my 74 1.8
but a 4.
been there since 89. nothing in records i have from owner 1 says starter motor replaced.
all black painted. except nuts wire connectors etc.

or
refer factory workshop manual.
group 9 electrical.
illustration/photo there.
all black paint for body/solonoid/end section.
nuts etc unpainted.

but who knows for a 6?
DennisV
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 31 2022, 08:38 PM) *

whats this for? 4 or 6?

refer factory workshop manual.

Hi Wonkipop. Good idea on the workshop manual. I was thinking I needed a color photo, but for this purpose I really don't. It appears to me it is all black as you suggest.
Click to view attachment
It is interesting that the parts catalog lists different part numbers for the 6 and 4
  • 914-6: 923.604.101.00, 901.604.102.CX, 901.604.102.DX
  • 914-4: 003.911.023.B, 003.911.023.BX, 039.911.023

Whereas the workshop manual only lists one shared part: 003.911.023.A

Thanks for the help.
fixer34
The one on my -6 right now has been there 30+ years, but not sure if it is the original. The gear housing is silver and does not appear to have been painted.
A spare starter sitting in my parts box (for 30+ yrs) does have black paint on the housing but most of it has chipped/flaked off. That being said, the Bosch numbers on it don't match either a -4 or -6.
DennisV
Some new information that might help someone else down the road.

After buying an original correct model starter and rebuilding it, I found out during my trip to the car that the replacement transaxle had a starter mounted to it! There is no guarantee it was original, but it appears to have grime matching the transaxle.

After degreasing it, my best guess is it was originally all black. I think the aluminum just doesn't hold the paint like the steel does.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.