Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Hanger for 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Is this the correct muffler hanger for a 914-6?
Click to view attachment

I see some comparison photos on Bowlsby site, but I think it is just year comparison on 914-4.

Thank you.

P.S. I hope I am not wearing out my welcome with all the questions this weekend. I have a limited window of time to work on the car and sort out parts. It is in a different state than me, so I have to pack as much as I can into the few days when I am onsite with it.
914Sixer
Same as 914 2.0 1973-1974
mepstein
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 5 2022, 10:02 AM) *

Is this the correct muffler hanger for a 914-6?
Click to view attachment

I see some comparison photos on Bowlsby site, but I think it is just year comparison on 914-4.

Thank you.

P.S. I hope I am not wearing out my welcome with all the questions this weekend. I have a limited window of time to work on the car and sort out parts. It is in a different state than me, so I have to pack as much as I can into the few days when I am onsite with it.

This is the place to ask questions. Other people learn as well. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 5 2022, 10:06 AM) *

Same as 914 2.0 1973-1974

I have to disagree with my esteermed friend Mark from Texas.....a finder of
great parts
914 2.0 and 914 6 hangars are different in small detail.
The 6 bracket has larger slots for the larger flange bolts and is cut vertically rather
than on an angle.
Dennis you'll never wear out you welcome here.
Ask away !
Also there is a thread listing the various differences between 4 and 6 cyl. cars.
Someone please attach, beyond my skill level
johnhora
agree.gif
Rory's correct....

it's very interesting how the 914-6 had some very unique parts scattered around
rgalla9146

Hey Denis, here you go.
Lucky9146
@rgalla9146

I did not know that! I have been running the wrong one on my 6 GT tribute for four years now!
Learn something new every day! beerchug.gif
It came with my project all powder coated end ready to go.
Hmmm, have to keep an eye out for one now................. biggrin.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 5 2022, 12:05 PM) *

@rgalla9146

I did not know that! I have been running the wrong one on my 6 GT tribute for four years now!
Learn something new every day! beerchug.gif
It came with my project all powder coated end ready to go.
Hmmm, have to keep an eye out for one now................. biggrin.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

GT ? whittle one up at home ! Aluminum is easy.
Install some large holes to add lightness.
914Sixer
Well I guess, I fell flat on this one. pray.gif biggrin.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2022, 07:41 AM) *

The 6 bracket has larger slots for the larger flange bolts and is cut vertically rather
than on an angle.

So based on this, it looks like we have a 914 2.0 hanger.
wonkipop
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 5 2022, 10:46 AM) *

Well I guess, I fell flat on this one. pray.gif biggrin.gif

sort of. but sort of not.

looks like all they did for a 2.0 4 was hit the same part with a grinder/cutter to make a tapered fitting. basically still getting the same part pressed and doing an additional operation.

you could make a 4 hanger out of a 6 by doing the same thing.

or

a bit of welding with a little patch plate either end and some grinding down would get you back to a 914/6 hanger out of a 2.0L?
siverson
Tbh I never understood the 914-6 hangers. I had several mufflers crack at the inlet/muffler joint when all that weight (the muffler) is just hanging by the hanger. In 911s they are better supported like this (my crude metal straps support).

-Steve
mepstein
That’s why Ben used to make a GT style muffler hanger.
Cairo94507
But I am not sure Ben's GT bracket would work with a stock banana muffler? beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 6 2022, 06:29 PM) *

But I am not sure Ben's GT bracket would work with a stock banana muffler? beerchug.gif

Probably not. It's designed around his muffler. Still, the way it holds the muffler is a good idea.
mlindner
Ben's bracket on his sport muffler and headers. Hard to see, but that is the beauty, straps hold muffler very firm. MarkClick to view attachment
rgalla9146

Stock 911s have a bracket where the weight of the muffer is supported by a flange on
the rear motor mount. The straps attach the banana firmly onto the flange.
It's a simple sturdy design
ClayPerrine
Porsche did a lot of stuff that really didn't make any sense when the built the 914-6.

Best example I can come up with is why did they make a custom muffler and rear valence for the 914-6? The 914-4 valence fits a six just fine with a stock 911 muffler. Why not just use the muffler and valence that are already available and in stock?

I can see the muffler support. It was designed for the 914-4, and adapted to the six. It is for a why lighter VW muffler, and really isn't a proper design for the added weight of the 911 muffler. Ben's design is way better than the factory one.

Clay
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 7 2022, 08:03 AM) *

Ben's bracket on his sport muffler and headers. Hard to see, but that is the beauty, straps hold muffler very firm. MarkClick to view attachment

Wow! much more than a beautiful muffler and bracket in that picture.
It's so good to see completly 'done' bottoms on these beautiful cars.
Outstanding.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have made the 2.0 914-6 muffler bracket for years after the factory discontinued it. The ONLY difference is the size of the notched holes for the bolts, the 2.0 is 8 the 914-6 is 10
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 7 2022, 11:49 AM) *

we have made the 2.0 914-6 muffler bracket for years after the factory discontinued it. The ONLY difference is the size of the notched holes for the bolts, the 2.0 is 8 the 914-6 is 10

Please clarify !
Does my picture show a correct 914 6 hangar ?
Or have you CHOSEN to make it your way ?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 7 2022, 11:49 AM) *

That's ambiguous.
Both cars are 2.0

The other 'ONLY' difference is the part number.
914 6 part # 901 111 152 00
914 2.0 part # 039 251 067
The other 'ONLY' difference is the angle at the end to allow better contact and
clearance for the inboard exhaust tube on the four cylinder flange.

Can you provide a detailed picture ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.