Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel filter solution needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
I have a plastic cube fuel filter that is 12 mm on one end and the other is 9 or 7 mm I forgot which. The Large 12 mm end connects to my Bosch fuel pump.

I really absolutely hate that plastic fuel filter and have not been able to find one that was metal with that odd size 12 mm end... does anyone know of one? If not,

What would be a better solution to go from 12 mm Bosch fuel pump perhaps down a size to 9 mm ... what is the best reducing solution

I don't wish to reinvent the wheel with braided hoses and such.

Thanks for idea. As ever, I appreciate all the great input that I have received in this forum which has helped me get my 914 in such good shape
JeffBowlsby
What are the concerns with the plastic cube filter?
914Sixer
I understand the concern about the filter only if you are NOT using the original Bosch. The new aftermarket are NOT the same quality as the original and do not lock in. Contact me IF you want an original one.
Medtner3
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 5 2022, 08:53 PM) *

i am concerned that I have to tighten it so much to get the fuel to stop leaking that I might break the plastic, there's no way to really feel when it's tight enough
wonkipop
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Sep 7 2022, 08:06 PM) *

i am concerned that I have to tighten it so much to get the fuel to stop leaking that I might break the plastic, there's no way to really feel when it's tight enough

the cube is not under high pressure.
pre the pump.
you don't have to over tighten hose clamps, just firm.
i've never had a problem with the cubes breaking or leaking.

think i'm on to a good supplier of those cubes here in aus who sells a high quality item - in relation 914sixer's concern in comment. down to my last bosch ones i had in a box.

there are cylindrical filters you can buy but they won't go into the little clips on the chassis rail if pump is still in original position under the engine.

i run the cube pre the pump and i have a high pressure full flow cylindrical filter these days in the engine bay after the pump. mainly because i now run a modern two port pump where the old 3 port was. these newer pumps can lose their guts and send it through the fuel system potentially into the injectors. which i don't want to happen.
Medtner3
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 6 2022, 07:36 AM) *

I understand the concern about the filter only if you are NOT using the original Bosch. The new aftermarket are NOT the same quality as the original and do not lock in. Contact me IF you want an original one.

yes I will message you

I disagree that I had to tighten a lot. I switched from the original cloth hose to gates hose because the cloth hose is permeable and simply fails to keep all gas odor sealed in perhaps because the hose quality is different.
Medtner3

the cloth hose did not work for me and I switched to Gates hose but was unable to find the proper grade in 12 mm so I used 12.7 mm aka 1/2"and that is likely one of the problems why I had to tighten so much
Van B
Yeah you are sized wrong. If you are going to use modern hose, you want 7/16” (11mm). Readily available from your FLAPS.

Little more of a stretch, but flows fine and leaks zero.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carques...24106/3320031-P
Medtner3
QUOTE(Van B @ Sep 14 2022, 09:01 PM) *

Yeah you are sized wrong. If you are going to use modern hose, you want 7/16” (11mm). Readily available from your FLAPS.

Well , that explains a lot!!

Thank you!

Olympic 914
QUOTE(Van B @ Sep 14 2022, 10:01 PM) *

I went to 3 !! Advance auto parts that said it was in stock. It wasn't.

Finally, after convincing the counter man to do a visual check before driving down, I got a piece at the 4th .

Van B
Yeah, that kinda crap is what passes for the norm these days. And the turnover rate at these stores means you can't even build a rapport with the employees...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.