Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper Shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
I put new rotors on the rear, and have rebuilt calipers (by Goldline in Seattle). Brake disc rubs on the caliper by a little. I am going to put in some 12mm (diameter) shim washers between the calipers and wheel carrier. I suspect sitting for 40 years may have forced the trailing arm to bend a little. The washers are different thicknesses from like 0.1mm to 0.5mm

Anyone ever seen this caliper misalignment before?
Superhawk996
Mismatch between early and late calipers and rotor depending on model year of your car or potential of the trailing arms if they were swapped at some point

Chris914n6
Sounds like you didn't install the brake shield. It's about 2mm thick and mounts between the caliper and arm.
Superhawk996
agree.gif

I’m a dope chair.gif after checking the only difference between early and late calipers are the bleed screw. Was thinking of front calipers sad.gif

Rear rotor common to all
sechszylinder
Honestly, I've never seen brake discs rubbing on the caliper (assuming rebuild or new parts) on the rear.
What was the condition with the old caliper ?
Using washers between caliper mount and the caliper itself is a quick but a really dirty hack.

And no, the mounting bracket for the dust cover does not goes between the rear mount and caliper.

Maybe your offset results from a not correctly mounted rear axle stub confused24.gif

BR

Benno
pek771
@Chris914n6
That wins the prize, I suspect. I did not put the shields on yet.
bdstone914
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Sep 6 2022, 12:52 AM) *

Honestly, I've never seen brake discs rubbing on the caliper (assuming rebuild or new parts) on the rear.
What was the condition with the old caliper ?
Using washers between caliper mount and the caliper itself is a quick but a really dirty hack.

And no, the mounting bracket for the dust cover does not goes between the rear mount and caliper.

Maybe your offset results from a not correctly mounted rear axle stub confused24.gif

BR

Benno

Sorry but your just wrong. Go look at your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.