Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats thats smell!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Well, I got my CIS 2.7 all wired up and was pretty proud of the harness that I made to mate the CIS to the /4 board. So I hook up my battery and my CDI box starts to whine with KO headbang.gif Ok, I unhook the CDI box. Well I notice that I did not hook up the fuel pump so I go on ahead and do that. I am happy to find out that my pump works smilie_pokal.gif But wait, the key is still off headbang.gif Ok, time to look at the schematics again.... Oh, now whats this?! On the 914 diagram the coil designations are different thatn the 911 diagram. Actually, the picture of the coil is wrong for the 914. It has the coil wire to the distributor (4) coming off of the primary for one thing. (15) is the negative onthe /4 and is the + on the 911 wacko.gif So I figured out this last night, but yesterday was interesting.....
So I disconect the fuel pump and CDI and decide to work on the gauges to clear my head (why didn't I disconect my whole harness? Hindsight) and I start smelling this smokey, burning smell. Oh shit! I act like Tucan Sam and follow my nose to my coil which is boiling over and way too hot to touch ohmy.gif I unplug the whole harness and the battery and let it cool. The improper wiring diagrams were found to have lead me to the problem, but I am still having fits. I am working day and night trying to get this done before school starts. Perhaps I am working to hard, 8am-1am every day?

Now if you are all done laughing at my expense (it's ok, its funny), maybe someone can answer a few questions.

1. The 911 diagram has the CDI wire B which is the B+ coming through the small 3 fuse block connecting to the alt to the starter B+ to the battery. In other words, the CDI has B+ to the B wire at all times regardless of the key position, right? This seems like a bad idea. Is this correct?

2. I was trying to hook the B wire up to switched power through the board. Originaly I hooked it up to pin 12 on the 12 pin connector which is the AAR power from the fuel pump power circuit. The AAR is only on when the key is on so this made sense, but I was not experiencing success. However, it is still under review. I have also, at about midnight last night, tried to hook B up to pin 7 on the 12 pin connector which I figured was the power to the coil and linked to the ig switch. I had not experienced any luck with this, but I was tired and decided not to trouble shoot it any further. I am taking a break this morning.

My second question is, what is the switchable power from the board (pin?) that I can hook the CDI B up to? And should I? (see question 1)

J P Stein
This is a toughy.
I spent 20-30 hours poring over the 914 & 911 wiring diagrams (6-7 years ago...Haynes) before I touched any wire. I can remember that they weren't radically different hookups.
I can't tell you what to do without tearing apart my harnesses....but.....

You need switched power to the CDI....a red wire from the relay board.....I don't recall the coil hookup being different.
I found it easiest to run a new (double switched....ign. & seperate switch) wire to the fuel pump from the fuse pannel as my pump was moved to the front trunk.

I also recall needing a 14 pin connector....can't remember why confused24.gif It may have had something to do with my alternator needing the external voltage reg.

With a motor swap, the whole deal is a box of chocolates.
Unless someone has done a VERY similar swap (and has a good memory), you are on your own. I can recommend taking a shot at following the 914 color codes all the way to their terminal ends. I tore apart a spare 914 wiring harness
and came damn close......As I recall biggrin.gif

This was the toughest part of the conversion as I was on my own...pre internet days for the whole works.
scotty914
easy place to get switched power is the the passenger side front pin of the 4 pin connector. but pin 12 as you know is the aar so you could use that one too.

the nice thing about tapping in to the 4 pin plug is it can act like an ati theft, you can pull the one wire and it wont go any where
Dr Evil
I found that I hooked the coil up both the 911 CDI way and the 914 straight way. Not good. Especially when the diagram is off. I got a bit of myopia, but I should have better luck today. But I need to get to finishing up some long over due orders first. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.