Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Super Lite Flywheel/clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BadToTheBown
I've had some shifting trouble so I had to pull the transaxle, then the clutch....my Kennedy clutch disc (worn pretty far down) is touching my flywheel crank bolt heads, so I'm doubling down and going with a super light flywheel and clutch...from what I've read I won't love the idle or using in the pits but should be better on track...I'll update the post when she's in...Click to view attachment
brant
I’ve been running these for a decade
Right now the PMS

Here is my prior set up- broken

I’ve had to replace the discs when they warp from heat
They do not like heat/slipping/ or lots of use

BadToTheBown
Well we'll see, $1600, hope I love it...
BadToTheBown
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 10 2022, 12:28 PM) *

I’ve been running these for a decade
Right now the PMS

What size disc is that? What did you do about a rig gear for the starter?
brant
That’s a broken one
5.5 inch flywheel

The ring gear also hanging ng on the wall
Here is a pic
The mounting ear broke on this one
BlueRidge914
I just went the same route with my 2.0/six vintage racer. Went from a long used PMS package of Centerforce clutch and slightly lightened flywheel, to the JBR twin disk 5.5" package. What a huge difference! The total weight goes from 24 to 12lbs, with most of that difference at the perimeter. On track it spins up ridiculously fast, but more impressive is how it transforms the shifting experience. It snicks effortlessly through the gears up and down. For the first few sessions, I was hesitating after shifting because I couldn't believe it had actually gone into the next gear. It makes you actually like your 901!

The first day of moving around the paddock and mock grid are embarrassing. After that the disks seem to get less sticky - maybe a little wear helps. And now I winch the car everywhere, instead of driving it around like it was old Honda.

I'm told I should get at least a full season on the clutch if avoid off track driving. On track it does feel like it's harder on the gearbox, so should I expect a rebuild sooner?
Thanks,
GavinClick to view attachment
BadToTheBown
QUOTE(BlueRidge914 @ Sep 11 2022, 07:50 AM) *

I just went the same route with my 2.0/six vintage racer. Went from a long used PMS package of Centerforce clutch and slightly lightened flywheel, to the JBR twin disk 5.5" package. What a huge difference! The total weight goes from 24 to 12lbs, with most of that difference at the perimeter. On track it spins up ridiculously fast, but more impressive is how it transforms the shifting experience. It snicks effortlessly through the gears up and down. For the first few sessions, I was hesitating after shifting because I couldn't believe it had actually gone into the next gear. It makes you actually like your 901!

The first day of moving around the paddock and mock grid are embarrassing. After that the disks seem to get less sticky - maybe a little wear helps. And now I winch the car everywhere, instead of driving it around like it was old Honda.

Yeh, the Patrick Motorsport one is half the weight or less of standard stuff but surprisingly price comparable with RSR spec stuff you could buy and still not lose as much mass...complaints about idle, moving around in the pits, positives sound like shifting and engine response....we'll see how embarrassed I am in the pits and if I look more like a hero on track...
stownsen914
Agreed with the above comments on how it transforms the driving experience. And yes that includes driving in the paddock! I have a non-914 racecar with a small clutch/flywheel setup. Even after driving cars with RSR racing clutches with unsprung disks for years. I stalled the car 6 times in a row just trying to get moving the first time at the track! And don't even think about slipping the clutch to drive onto a trailer, you'll ruin the clutch the first time you try that.
BadToTheBown
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 12 2022, 06:58 AM) *

...don't even think about slipping the clutch to drive onto a trailer, you'll ruin the clutch the first time you try that.

Then it's a good thing I have to winch into my trailer (not enough room to get out of the car once in)...looking forward to my embarrassing moments in the pits....
BadToTheBown
Spoke with Patrick Motorsports tonight, James talked me in the dual disc BUT part of the flywheel is backordered, so this set up is 6 to 8 weeks or so out....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.