Pages: 1, 2
siverson
Great coverage and discussion. Just posted this morning:

https://youtu.be/Ukn4liRG88I

-Steve

[ADMIN EDIT]Embedded the video[/ADMIN EDIT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukn4liRG88I
Root_Werks
Just finished watching it, really like Jay's channel, lots of neat cars and the second 914 I believe he's had on.

Nice 914-GT!

driving.gif
Steve
QUOTE(siverson @ Sep 12 2022, 10:07 AM) *

-Steve

In our last Malibu drive the owner Thomas brought this car. Really nice guy and awesome car.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 12 2022, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Sep 12 2022, 10:07 AM) *

-Steve

In our last Malibu drive the owner Thomas brought this car. Really nice guy and awesome car.

YES... a stunner of a car!!!!! beerchug.gif

O

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Learned something new from this- never saw the sway bar inside the trunk before. Very cool cool_shades.gif
mlindner
Love it. Thanks Steve
StratPlayer
Great video, great car. Thanks
sbsix
Great video. After 52 years this car is still relevant.
wonkipop
how long before mr. leno buys one? beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tevszu3rPO8

Is better for regular 914 guys... with GT aspirations.

Hopefully Jay will buy this one...
914sgofast2
Jay Leno tries the first 914/6 GT ever made. Jay seems to be a closet 914 enthusiast.
Here's the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukn4liRG88I
Steve
Siverson beat you to it. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=361639
mepstein
I liked the last five minutes when his guest drove it the way it was meant to run. Looked and sounded great.
Cairo94507
What a cool video with 2 great car-guys. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
Threads merged ...
type.gif
Garland
Fantastic
Big Len
Enjoyed watching it.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 12 2022, 11:09 AM) *

Just finished watching it, really like Jay's channel, lots of neat cars and the second 914 I believe he's had on.

Nice 914-GT!

driving.gif

Eric Shea was on the show with his beautiful car a few years back! smile.gif driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tevszu3rPO8
FL000
Awesome video - lots of good info. That car looks immaculate.
Superhawk996
LOL — what gear are you in now?

Yup- a manual trans is almost like an anti-theft device. The dog leg 901 takes it the rest of the way there!
rjames
“If you’re a 911 guy and you see one of these, give him a thumbs up- it’ll cheer him up.”
laugh.gif

Was really fun to watch. Thanks for posting!
Justinp71

That car is amazing, super cool video! I like Jay and Randy both real car enthusiasts!
KELTY360
Leno should check out #40.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 12 2022, 09:17 PM) *

Leno should check out #40.

He probably won't, as I don't throw keys to celebs or influencers.
A couple of years ago his show was looking for a 914 for his youtube. All was good until I let their producer know that he wouldn't be getting the keys to the flat fan car...only riding along (and I do drive spiritedly) in the pass seat. So that turned them off. Thank you, but I've learned the hard $$$ way with turning my hot rods into "Press Cars" (C+D magazine circa '80s) and their test drives. It turned out well for our 914World tho as I recommended @Eric_Shea yellow gt tribute to them !
number40_914.jpg
second wind
This was a really fun video...thank you very much!! As soon as I get my next million I am buying one of these...but it may not be enough. Meanwhile....anyone know where a cheap Chevron station is??
gg
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 12 2022, 11:43 PM) *

This was a really fun video...thank you very much!! As soon as I get my next million I am buying one of these...but it may not be enough. Meanwhile....anyone know where a cheap Chevron station is??
gg

In L.A. I do like the prices + quality of Sinclair 91 octane...Chevron does run slightly higher $$ like Shell, Mobil, 76 smile.gif
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon & @second wind

i remember the chevron petrol stations in the USA.

down here they sold fuel under the brand Caltex.
they had fantastic signs on the petrol stations. the big star.
then they merged with Ampol.
now all the caltex brand stations are disappearing and being rebranded as the single entity Ampol.

before Caltex branded the fuel they refined it was distributed through an australian fuel distribution company called Golden Fleece. that was a big sheep on a pole. biggrin.gif
the old idea of australia riding on the sheeps back from the days of the wool trade and the british empire?

there has never been a "kangaroo" brand petrol. only ford got on to the idea of the kangaroo. smile.gif

its been interesting/sad watching these familiar brands gradually disappear.

----

@Maltese Falcon - i like your story about not handing j l the keys to the kingdom. biggrin.gif
i always fuel up on BP. beer.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 12 2022, 12:51 PM) *

Learned something new from this- never saw the sway bar inside the trunk before. Very cool cool_shades.gif

Somebody please "school me" on this. They state that it's in the trunk because it sits too low to fit under the car. I'm not buying that. Is there something specific to this car that makes it impossible to fit the rear sway bar in its normal place? Or is this just a way to make it easier to adjust or remove???? Also, I thought they felt the original mounting tabs under the trunk weren't reinforced enough for a race car???
rgalla9146
Randy Pobst is being very modest throughout, he is a very accomplished factory driver for many brands.
When I sold Audis I rode shotgun in an Audi RS 6 at Phoenix International Raceway with him at the wheel.
The experience was unforgetable.
Thank You for sharing !
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 13 2022, 06:25 AM) *

Somebody please "school me" on this. They state that it's in the trunk because it sits too low to fit under the car. I'm not buying that. Is there something specific to this car that makes it impossible to fit the rear sway bar in its normal place? Or is this just a way to make it easier to adjust or remove???? Also, I thought they felt the original mounting tabs under the trunk weren't reinforced enough for a race car???

It seems odd to me too. I've been around 914's for almost 50 years now and again, I've never seen the sway bar inside the trunk before. I own 2 914's and both have a rear sway bar, underneath. What happens when it rains, and the trunk fills up with water from the holes for the end links? Possibly some custom, one-off feature for that Swiss owner they mentioned? Tail shifter so the sway bar gets in the way of the linkage? Any other GT's have it inside the trunk?
rgalla9146
The sway bar in the trunk was a competition only factory modification. The bar could be changed or disconnected without having to lift the car.

Jay doesn't wear the harness belts.....!
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 13 2022, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 13 2022, 06:25 AM) *

It seems odd to me too. I've been around 914's for almost 50 years now and again, I've never seen the sway bar inside the trunk before. I own 2 914's and both have a rear sway bar, underneath. What happens when it rains, and the trunk fills up with water from the holes for the end links? Possibly some custom, one-off feature for that Swiss owner they mentioned? Tail shifter so the sway bar gets in the way of the linkage? Any other GT's have it inside the trunk?

I've seen it in a couple race cars. Glenn would surely be able to provide more info @GMS
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 13 2022, 07:57 AM) *

Yea, it bothers me
Cairo94507
I was actually quite shocked when Jay did not bother to put the seat belt on knowing Randy was going to likely exceed the sped limit. Come on Jay, you know better man. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
Does anyone repro that chin spoiler for the narrow body? My racer has the LE spoiler cut away in that area but I like this cleaner look (I'd also like to put the factory chin spoiler on my street car instead of the LE airdam).
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2022, 08:08 AM) *

Yea, it bothers me

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 13 2022, 08:58 AM) *

I was actually quite shocked when Jay did not bother to put the seat belt on knowing Randy was going to likely exceed the sped limit. Come on Jay, you know better man. beerchug.gif

Come on guys - let’s not be petty tyrants and second guessing the man.

1st of all I can’t tell if he has the lap belt on or not. I think he might have the lap belt on in a frame or two.

2nd he’s probably too large to have the shoulder harness fit

3rd being in a caged car without helmet is just as, if not more dangerous than not having a shoulder harness on.

4th the attachment of shoulder harness high on the rear bulkhead and split around OEM seats is almost worthless.

5th a 4 or 5 point racing harness without a HANS neck support is dangerous.

6th he’s a grown man - why the need to question his personal decisions and beliefs? Leno has plenty of money to be effectively self insured so we can leave out any red herring discussion of him being a burden to society in the event of injury.

When did we get so P-$$whipped in this county? There are no air bags, ABS, ESC, AEB or other modern safety systems on a 914. If we aren’t careful, soon that will be a reason enough to not allow us to drive 914s on the street. In the name of safety !!
Pezz
The sounds are awesome. No red line on the tach. The lateral bracing and sway bar system -- that's a race car. Very nice discussion and a compliment to 914s. Love it. Thanks. signal914.jpg
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 13 2022, 02:15 AM) *

I don't throw keys to celebs or influencers.

Good call pray.gif

Most can’t drive for stromberg.gif and have no respect for other peoples equipment.

These two guys are a bit different but I respect the principle behind it! aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
Jay is a true gearhead + knows how things work/ how to get in there and fix them too ! He does have a habit of hanging his arm out of the window; almost cost him a limb in that Hemi under Glass 'Cuda ride (roll-over) crash several years ago sad.gif
number40_914.jpg
Johny Blackstain

The sway bar in the trunk was a competition only factory modidication. The bar could be changed or disconnected without having to lift the car.

Makes sense but I still don't like the holes in the trunk floor for the end links and did any other GT's have this feature?
I can just imagine #40 in 1970 with the trunk partially filling up with rainwater sloshing around and around laugh.gif

Also, it's a shame they didn't put her on a lift so we could see underneath
GregAmy
Heard a couple of synchro grinches while Jay was driving...and Randy noticed because it caused him to briefly skip a beat while talking...

I presume these cars were delivered with tail shifters...what "shift kit" were they referring to? Factory shifter mods?

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 13 2022, 10:04 AM) *

Makes sense but I still don't like the holes in the trunk floor for the end links...trunk partially filling up with rainwater sloshing around and around laugh.gif

I've done that with other race cars; you can install brush covers there to stop most of the water from getting in. Plus, since it's a race car, you'll put in a drain...let's not forget our front swaybars already go into the chassis below the fuel tank.

Today, we'd use easily-replaceable straight torsion bars instead of a bent swaybar. In fact, I like the idea enough that I might convert my racer to the concept (the trunk is dead empty and never used...)
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 13 2022, 07:04 AM) *

The sway bar in the trunk was a competition only factory modidication. The bar could be changed or disconnected without having to lift the car.

Makes sense but I still don't like the holes in the trunk floor for the end links and did any other GT's have this feature?
I can just imagine #40 in 1970 with the trunk partially filling up with rainwater sloshing around and around laugh.gif

Also, it's a shame they didn't put her on a lift so we could see underneath

Aporox 2/3 duration of the LM24 in 1970, the cars that remained on track ran in the rain driving.gif
rgalla9146

I presume these cars were delivered with tail shifters...what "shift kit" were they referring to? Factory shifter mods?

I have a stock 6 that has a period short shift kit that is quite good.
The lever under the shifter mechanism is lengthened and the cup at the front of the
tube in the tunnel is lowered. Changes the ratio.
It came to me that way.....I've driven it but never fully inspected it.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 13 2022, 10:48 AM) *

Aporox 2/3 duration of the LM24 in 1970, the cars that remained on track ran in the rain driving.gif

That's why I brought it up, rained like hell in 70 cool_shades.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 13 2022, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 13 2022, 10:48 AM) *

That's why I brought it up, rained like hell in 70 cool_shades.gif

Yessir ...I bet the wet stuff & the Mulsanne speeds loosened up some decals on the #40 biggrin.gif
Marty
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 13 2022, 10:47 AM) *

Heard a couple of synchro grinches while Jay was driving...and Randy noticed because it caused him to briefly skip a beat while talking...

I've done that with other race cars; you can install brush covers there to stop most of the water from getting in. Plus, since it's a race car, you'll put in a drain...let's not forget our front swaybars already go into the chassis below the fuel tank.

Today, we'd use easily-replaceable straight torsion bars instead of a bent swaybar. In fact, I like the idea enough that I might convert my racer to the concept (the trunk is dead empty and never used...)

I'm thinking you'd have to seriously waterproof your taillights inside as well, or just never take her out when it's wet.
Sea Rooster
Sounds like Jay found reverse at about 30 minutes into the video. smile.gif
SKL1
Great video... and great car.

Was lucky to get a tour of Jay's Garage back in February, and even luckier that he was there to show us stuff. He does like 914's, and Porsches for that matter. But the best thing is, he is a REAL car guy who loves everything mechanical, and acts like a normal person. Even though I'm obviously a P car guy, and love his CGT, had to tell him the best car in his collection was his McLaren F1. Even he admitted it is worth so much now, he's afraid to drive it!

The shop in his garage is something as well... several things were under restoration including a very nice early BN1 or BN2 Healey, another one of my favourites.
Retroracer
More pix on a factory GT rear trunk sway bar install:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_factory_rac...athon_other_pix

FYI. Armando's most excellent PBase site, as usual, gets the credit. Not sure if this is the same car? Given the rear trunk is completely useless for endurance racing, makes sense to have the sway bar easily adjustable / replaceable without clambering under the car.

- Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.