Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can anyone help me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS9146Driver
Some time ago I bought a set of used Koni reds from Brett Wisenant (are you out there?) and I just tried to install them in my -6 and now realize that the old screw caps will not secure the shocks in the strut housings. headbang.gif
Does anyone have a pair of caps from a trashed set of reds that you could spare. Otherwise, I guess I have a cool pair of ornaments for the shop wall. Thx
TravisNeff
You mean the cap at the top of the strut housing? All should be the same. Or do you mean the nut that attaches at the end of the shock?
Powerman
The cap that screws into the strut to secure the shock?
Koni can send you one with the right size/threads.
Tell them the type/year of housing, ie Boge, Koni etc.

Also, I had to machine a bushing to go on the shock rod,
and a spacer under the shock to take up the clearance.
Depends on the koni model. I used Koni F 8610-1149 and
Koni R 8241-1050
TravisNeff
If you need the caps for the strut housing, I have a pair that I got with my koni sport shocks, I reused my originals which you can have for USPS mail costs. Which makes me ask you how is this part not fitting?
GS9146Driver
Okay, to clarify things. The car is a '70 914-6 and the strut housings are grey. When I bought the car one shock was non-compressable. I removed the dust bell, unscrewed the nut and found an oil bath type shock insert. After removing the shock insert, I suctioned out the oil and put a set of Bogie inserts in from my '76 'teener using the Bogie set of caps that screw into the strut which hold then in place. The original screws will not work with either the Koni Reds or Bogies. I have a set of Koni Yellows (for another project) and the screws are different as well, shocks are smaller in diameter. I will have to go out to the shop tomorrow and see if I can read a part number from the Red Pair.
Travis, If your set will work, (were your Sports RED?), I'll PM you with some info. Let me know. Thx all!
TravisNeff
Sure thing, lemme know. FYI Reds are standard gas, yellows are sports and orange are hydraulic I believe.
jgiroux67
I need one of the same. The caps that were for the kyb inserts I had dont secure the koni's i have in there now. If GS9146Driver doesnt take it I will be happy to.
GS9146Driver
Sure thing, lemme know. FYI Reds are standard gas, yellows are sports and orange are hydraulic I believe.

Mine are Red adjustables. As I said the shock diameter is different than the Yellows. If the screws that you have came from a yellow set, I don't think they will work. I will get with Koni with a part number and see. Thx
GS9146Driver
[QUOTE]Which makes me ask you how is this part not fitting?

Sorry, I just realized that I didn't answer your question.
The shocks are still loose in the struts when the nut is tight.
avendlerdp
I just went through this! I switched frem Reds to Yellows and had to have the caps machined. It was not too expensive but you gotta find a lathe and a person to use it. THey are intere now.

Alex
GS9146Driver
I need one of the same. The caps that were for the kyb inserts I had dont secure the koni's i have in there now. If GS9146Driver doesnt take it I will be happy to.

Whoa! Now that I think of it, the nuts that I have from the "76 are KYB's too. Gold colored steel and Hex.
jgiroux67
Yep thats exactly what i have and they dont screw all the way down into the strut housing because I think the koni inserts are a little bit taller and maybe a bigger diameter.

When I got my konis (used) they only sent one cap and it works perfecty but now I just need one for the other side.
GS9146Driver
Yep thats exactly what i have and they dont screw all the way down into the strut housing because I think the koni inserts are a little bit taller and maybe a bigger diameter.

When I got my konis (used) they only sent one cap and it works perfecty but now I just need one for the other side.

Josh,
Do you have yellows or reds?
Geo
jgiroux67
Reds, well a redish orange so I'm assuming they are the reds
GS9146Driver
If you need the caps for the strut housing, I have a pair that I got with my koni sport shocks, I reused my originals which you can have for USPS mail costs. Which makes me ask you how is this part not fitting?

Josh,
From the prevous discussions (above), I believe that Travis has Screws from Yellows. If that is the case, I know for me they will not work with my Reds. I have Yellows and I already tried to use the screws from that set-smash.gif didn't work. I will share the part numbers from my Reds for comparison later when I get out to the shop. BTW, are yours adjustable?
Geo
jgiroux67
I dont believe so, but im not sure. These are actually from a 911 and my struts are are from a 911 sc but they are the same size as the 914 struts except for the caliper spacing.
Eric_Shea
All Koni's are adjustable. Josh, compress the rod all the way and turn it until you feel a click. Then you can adjust.
GS9146Driver
confused24.gif
Posted on Aug 7 2005, 05:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Koni's are adjustable. Josh, compress the rod all the way and turn it until you feel a click. Then you can adjust

I have a set of Koni reds on the rear of my 914-6. I removed the rubber top cover in the rear trunk and surprise no adjustment stem. confused24.gif Is there an adjustment somewhere else?
Geo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.