Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone following 914s on Bring a Trailer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCE
I am fascinated with the prices on BAT 914, anyone else is following..

Send your comments. popcorn[1].gif

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/914/
DennisV
QUOTE(CCE @ Sep 13 2022, 03:19 PM) *

I am fascinated with the prices on BAT 914, anyone else is following..

Send your comments. popcorn[1].gif

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/914/

I've been following both 914 and 914-6. Mostly because I like to read the comments regarding originality.

Less concerned about the prices since I have no intent to sell our car in the foreseeable future. That said, there is a 914-6 auction in progress currently at $70k with a couple hours to go.
Steve
I've been watching in curiosity about prices and various builds to get ideas for my own cars. I noticed the prices have dropped this summer, due to inflation. I would definitely use a reserve if I was going to try to sell one today.
Big Len
Prices may have dropped because of the economy, but also the end of the summer is not the best time to sell an open top car.

I do have a comment regarding the silver 71 sold earlier this week. I did not want to comment on the site and piss on the new owner's parade, but $22K for a car that has a hell hole rust hole big enough to fit my hand through?

And who is @MCShack ? If you read this, you thought that this car should have gone for more??? Please explain how much more. Cracks in the dash, removed FI, another hole in a fender well. Some of the other comments shocked me.
GregAmy
Scatterplot of previous sales, scroll down: https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/914/

Without running a statistical analysis on the data (I'm not that motivated) mid-20s seems to be the going range.

There's also this tool: https://batpredictor.cognitivesurpl.us/
eric9144
The market is definitely showing signs of softening up--stock market is tanking, economy/inflation is terrible, interest rates are way up...People are likely going to start holding their cash buys and try to weather the down time.

Will be curious to see where the blue 3.6 goes to on this round, I suspect another "Reserve not met"
Lockwodo
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 14 2022, 10:35 AM) *

Prices may have dropped because of the economy, but also the end of the summer is not the best time to sell an open top car.

I do have a comment regarding the silver 71 sold earlier this week. I did not want to comment on the site and piss on the new owner's parade, but $22K for a car that has a hell hole rust hole big enough to fit my hand through?

And who is @MCShack ? If you read this, you thought that this car should have gone for more??? Please explain how much more. Cracks in the dash, removed FI, another hole in a fender well. Some of the other comments shocked me.

agree.gif
Lockwodo
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 14 2022, 10:35 AM) *

agree.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 14 2022, 11:35 AM) *

yes @Big Len . raised my eyebrow at that one.
stress crack opening up and heading towards the suspension load point. sad.gif not far off a sag and sink situation? a lot of $ to pay for a car that will need an extensive rebuild.

a positive of b a t is extensive documentation data for historical research - strictly in relation to 74 1.8s. my interest is narrow gauge - i don't look at much else outside that. but scanning results - generally prices seem to show consistency and rationality but every now and then there seems to be the odd wild card in there that defies understanding. reason - buyers suffering mental instability? beerchug.gif
emerygt350
The 914 will be in an interesting place if money tightens up. If someone wants an air-cooled Porsche it will make the 914 more attractive as the 911 isn't ever going to drop to affordable for people that aren't loaded rich. It may not appreciate much during tighter times, but I bet it will hold on to value. I have no love for speculators buying cars though. They can go rot. Buy a car car like this because you like it, and then drive and wrench on it till you want to try something else. At that point sell or if you have space, keep it.
85eurocarrera
I’m watching. I’m new to these 914’s, but not Porsche. It’s buy the best one you can afford. I’m still learning about the problem areas and what to look for. I was amazed at the money the two brought with the rust.

I’d sure like to find a ride in a 2056 motor (if that’s how you call them). They seem to be a sweet spot for me…
MCShack
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 14 2022, 01:35 PM) *

No disrespect Len, but there is a difference between "I thought it might be a little more" which is what I said and you saying that I said "thought that this car should have gone for more". I also advised the buyer to get some serious work done on that car, such as the longs. I don't think I disagree with what anyone has said here about BAT and the prices there, too many speculators and flippers.

My comment meant the bidders on BaT have been throwing stupid money at these cars lately and I'm surprised more of the same didn't happen here and there were a lot of bidders at the end of the auction. Yes, the market is softening to say the least IMHO. Slow market, bad timing, prices adjusting, all aside, I would never pay $20k for "that" car plus shipping, no way!

BTW, many people on BaT consider changing from FI to dual carbs to be a big upgrade for some dumb reason, I am not one of those people. I bought my first 914 brand new right out of high school in 1973 and have owned at least one 914 for going on 50 years now. I only had one with carbs but the PO claimed he had vapor lock problems until he removed the L-Jet from the '74 1.8L. I hated that car more than any 914 I ever owned for that and other reasons, but I got a great deal, so I thought. My mechanic told me to switch it back for what was a small fortune at the time or sell it. I didn't know much about the carb set-up (still don't) and thought I could just remove them and put the FI back, which I didn't even have. I traded it for '74 2.0 w/D-jet. Lesson learned and moved on. Peace and stay safe.
jhynesrockmtn
I follow BAT pretty closely and hadn't intended on buying a car there but have had my sights on a BB or CS for a while. The last one on there, I threw out a bid figuring it was my top dollar. I thought it would be RNM but ended up buying it. After getting it a sigh of relief was breathed and I ended up contacting the guy who restored it after finding old for sale ads on Pelican and Rennlist. That made me feel better as he knows his stuff and it has very few miles on it since. We are hoping to meet up at Rennsport next year.

Has BAT cornered the market a bit? I would guess many cars that were sold through this site, Pelican, Rennlist, etc. are ending up there.
GregAmy
BaT buyers bring the coin. Anyone who wants top dollar - along with a dose of Internet reality on what they have - sells there.
rhodyguy
My guess is BAT buyers, for the most part, don't expect photos in excruciating detail. Being blinded by shinny bits and ends doesn't help much. I doubt many 'don't buy that car' emails get sent.
Robarabian
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-pors...build-with-3-6/

$171,000.00

Strong money. Wow.
MCShack
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 16 2022, 03:12 PM) *

Yep, collectors will really open the pocket books when they see something they want. Buyer has bought a few cars on BaT but usually well under $50k except for a $66k Pantera. He outbid "Serialcollector" who the serious car collectors know (I do not, only by reputation) since he probably buys a couple of cars a week spending millions a year. He recently spent $1M on a 2019 Ford GT with original msrp of $560k, so $170k was chump change for him.

This car was RNM at $100k in 2020, then supposedly $60k work was done and listed at Avant-Garde for $155k. Too rich for my blood and especially my pocketbook, although I've lost nearly that much in investments lately, only my home value is saving me right now.
rhodyguy
The lighting and photo tweaking were exquisite.
johnorm
I have followed and tracked the 914 market for the last few years. IMO I find many of the 914's listed on BAT are quick flips of a suspect car. The term I would use is lipstick on a pig. When you can see rust issues on a photo, or no critical photos of the hell hole and the longs are available, you can only imagine how bad the car is. There has been a few tired but solid cars come up this year and I was originally taken back by the price they get. I think some people are starting to realise that body restoration & paint can be bloody expensive compared to the mechanicals & cosmetics. From what I have observed the hot market on BAT appears to be from late Winter to the end of June. After that things generally cool down.
CCE
QUOTE(MCShack @ Sep 16 2022, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 16 2022, 03:12 PM) *

Yep, collectors will really open the pocket books when they see something they want. Buyer has bought a few cars on BaT but usually well under $50k except for a $66k Pantera. He outbid "Serialcollector" who the serious car collectors know (I do not, only by reputation) since he probably buys a couple of cars a week spending millions a year. He recently spent $1M on a 2019 Ford GT with original msrp of $560k, so $170k was chump change for him.

This car was RNM at $100k in 2020, then supposedly $60k work was done and listed at Avant-Garde for $155k. Too rich for my blood and especially my pocketbook, although I've lost nearly that much in investments lately, only my home value is saving me right now.

I supposed it was going to reach the 100k, but never that much, wow!
wonkipop
a side benefit of looking into 74 1.8s on BAT, along with member's data is i (and you) can spot 74 2.0s that never were. smile.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-65-2/
Pezz
I watch BaT and CL and recently posted here about PCarMarket.
I'm into conditional probabilities, kind of a statistics freak, been watching prices since the late '90s. These auction websites are interesting resources to see what people think is a good reserve price and whether reserves are broken. The PCarMarket auctions are interesting to follow the bidding and the comments. The CL ads are telling also, hardly any 914s hang around there. (https://cargraph.com/usa/porsche/914)

I've been looking for comps for @Marv's3.6six stolen 914 and how difficult his situation is when one owns such an "outlier" of a car and setting a price, wherein I would like to help him. (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=361739&hl=insurance) The rise and fall of the market for 914s is not unlike the stock market, yet it is different where some people's souls are sold on 914s, willing to pay out the nose for a special car or even not so special.

Lately I've thought how useful it could be to have an auction setup on 914World. Auction cars and parts and services. These auction websites are not difficult to set up. Just throwing that idea out there.

914World is one helluva cool website, I've learned so much valuable information. Thank you All. cheer.gif beerchug.gif
dirk2056
The idea of auction page is good but typical 914 owner is a doer! They buy these cars and work on them themselves. The people paying big money at auctions are garage queens but all cars go up for sale someday.

Ditto!
914World is one helluva cool website, I've learned so much valuable information. Thank you All. cheer.gif beerchug.gif
[/quote]
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Pezz @ Sep 20 2022, 03:33 AM) *

I watch BaT and CL and recently posted here about PCarMarket.
I'm into conditional probabilities, kind of a statistics freak, been watching prices since the late '90s. These auction websites are interesting resources to see what people think is a good reserve price and whether reserves are broken. The PCarMarket auctions are interesting to follow the bidding and the comments. The CL ads are telling also, hardly any 914s hang around there. (https://cargraph.com/usa/porsche/914)

I've been looking for comps for @Marv's3.6six stolen 914 and how difficult his situation is when one owns such an "outlier" of a car and setting a price, wherein I would like to help him. (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=361739&hl=insurance) The rise and fall of the market for 914s is not unlike the stock market, yet it is different where some people's souls are sold on 914s, willing to pay out the nose for a special car or even not so special.

Lately I've thought how useful it could be to have an auction setup on 914World. Auction cars and parts and services. These auction websites are not difficult to set up. Just throwing that idea out there.

Thanks for thinking of me and my situation. I am still in limbo.
SKL1
I'm always following a few P cars, and the occasional F355 gated manual, and get notified when a 914 is listed. Actually had one recently from my hometown- realized it when recognizing the roads on the driving video!

Bid on a nice GT tribute a couple weeks ago- didn't feel bad when it went for 20K more than my top dollar.

There is quite a range of cars, and a real range of knowledge of what people are looking at, or commenting about.
CCE
Lets see what the yellow 2.0 does. I think mine is in better condition.
popcorn[1].gif
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-84/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.