Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Aircooled Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
This has been on my list for years, and this year I'm finally getting there.
Anyone else going to be there?

I know its opposite Okteenerfest this year, so most of us East Coasters may be going there.

Zach
Geezer914
Flanders __? More details needed. thanks.
Big Len
Linda and I will see ya Sunday Zach.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 14 2022, 02:55 PM) *

Flanders __? More details needed. thanks.

Google up the All Aircooled Gathering in Flanders NJ. Primarily a VW show, but if it’s Aircooled it’s invited. Many of the people get there Friday and camp, though the show proper is Sunday.

The past couple years they have been selling tickets to thin down attendance for COVID and general manageability. It’s supposed to be a great show and a lot of the VW people I hang around will be partying all weekend. It’s always nice to have 914 people too.

Zach
pek771
As in Flanders NJ?

Yes, actually.
I answered my own question by reading.
TonyA
Can't go. I am comping upstate PA this weekend. I camped and partied at Flanders before ...great time.
StarBear
Not making it this year. Fantastic all air cooled; if it’s air cooled it’s there. Corvairs, etc too. biggrin.gif
930cabman
Not sure if my driver will make it, or how many spares I should bring. Definitely make sure the VISA is filled up. For years we had a VW event at Niagara Falls park and it was great, but it has been shut down for many years.
Thanks for the heads up

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/all-air-cooled...ts-365667771147

be there or ..... weather is forecast to be great
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 14 2022, 07:35 PM) *

Not making it this year. Fantastic all air cooled; if it’s air cooled it’s there. Corvairs, etc too. biggrin.gif

A guy up the street from me is selling a first gen Corvair vert. It is SOOOO tempting to go buy it and drive it this weekend instead of the 914. But I'll be good. Need to finish the Bus. And the 2002. Too many projects....

We are packing the car today and will be in Flanders this afternoon to camp and party this weekend. Weather should be some of the nicest since June!

Zach
Big Len
Zach, you probably know this, but the Northern NJ PCA is having a concours and drive in movie on the same grounds Saturday night.
930cabman
The Roundtop event is also this weekend and not too far away. I may try to make both, be safe on the roads all
VaccaRabite
It was a GREAT weekend! Amy and I had so much fun.

We got there later Friday night then we wanted too, but kids and work will ALWAYS be kids and work. Set up camp, found friends and partied till the small hours of the morning. Which I never do anymore. Didn't get any pics of that (probably for the best).

Following morning was breakfast and good good coffee.
IPB Image

I treat camping out of the 914 like backpacking with added beer.
Spare tire goes in the rear trunk, along with heat tolerant things (like the ground tarp and tent, tools, jack, 2 camp chairs, etc.) Front trunk is now pretty deep. Cooler goes in the center against the bulkhead, air mattress next to it, and sleeping bags get stuffed on the other side. This leaves a pocket in front of the cooler for 2 backpacks (clothes, camp food, etc goes here). In the car were Amy's creature comforts and about 5 liters of water. Our pillows get crammed between our seat backs and the bulkheads. Easy peasy! the cooler was full of beer, aside from a little roast beef and cheese I sliced and brought. So we were making freeze dried hiking food for breakfast - which I really like. It packs down small, its pretty tasty, and does not make a mess.

IPB Image
So all of this fits in the 914, as well as 2 camp chairs and backpacks full of clothes.

All this said, we are looking forward to bringing the Bus (and the 914) next year and setting up the full on camp kitchen.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
The best part of this event, I think, happens before the car show ever starts. There were aircooleds parked all over camping and visiting and having a great time. I did not take near enough pictures and folks were pulling up all day Saturday until both campgrounds were PACKED.

I was the only 914 camping, and there was a red Corvair that was camping too, but it was mostly VWs.

In the mid afternoon Porsches started rolling in for their meet and movie. I parked with them for a little bit, but moved my car back a little bit later before the movie started. The PCA folks brought a huge inflatable screen and had a drive in, which was cool, though by that time I was on the othr side of the tree line back in party mode with the campers.

Sunday I got up early, rousted Amy out of bed, and packed up.
It was cool and a little bit hazy. Folks were slowly slinking out of thier tents and campers
IPB Image

With all the stuff jammed back into my 914, we moved back on to the show field for the show proper.
IPB Image
I did not take many pictures of the actual show, and there were cars I wish I had gotten more pcs of. Several Corviars (which I love). There was a real SP2 which I DID get pictures of.
IPB Image
IPB Image

There were a few vendors there, and I found some stuff I needed for the Westy I'm restoring.

We had a lot of driving to do Sunday, so we left around 11 when the actual show was just starting to hit its full stride. Would have been nice to stay later and close it out, but there were kids to pick up and everything else.

It was a fun time, I saw several of you there. I know its a busy weekend, but I'd highly suggest this show in the future - and make it a weekend, don't just show up Sunday.

Zach
emerygt350
Looks awesome. Very tempting.
Geezer914
How many other 914's showed? Looks like your camping in a VW bone yard! biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 19 2022, 12:35 PM) *

How many other 914's showed? Looks like your camping in a VW bone yard! biggrin.gif

I saw 4 914s on Saturday and I think 6 on Sunday - counting mine.

Early in the PCA event Saturday there were more 914s then 911s.

Zach
rmital
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 19 2022, 01:19 PM) *

Zach

I know it's probably not of interest to most....but, need to know.
what movie did PCA show????
Pixar "CARS" biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 19 2022, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 19 2022, 01:19 PM) *

Zach

I know it's probably not of interest to most....but, need to know.
what movie did PCA show????
Pixar "CARS" biggrin.gif

The attempted to show Rendezvous ( the French driving short movie) but it kept buffering. I was amused that I was able to tell what it was simply by the soundtrack.
Many of the VW guys started revving engines whenever the movie cut out again.

Then they did Talladega Nights, which went better.

Zach
Front yard mechanic
i can smell the Patchouli oil from here
StarBear
Hopefully, I can make it next year. Really close (30 min) from us.
rick 918-S
Wow wow for the SP2 drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.