Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Condenser Mounting Screw?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
FlacaProductions
I installed a Pertronix and when going back to button everything up, I can't find the condenser mounting screw on the distributer. Anyone know the size/thread? Can't think that leaving that hole open is a good thing...
930cabman
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 15 2022, 09:56 AM) *

I installed a Pertronix and when going back to button everything up, I can't find the condenser mounting screw on the distributer. Anyone know the size/thread? Can't think that leaving that hole open is a good thing...

I might tap it for a #6 or #8 and be done
TheCabinetmaker
It's a 4mm.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 15 2022, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 15 2022, 09:56 AM) *

I might tap it for a #6 or #8 and be done

@930cabman

I think you’ve seen enough of my posts to take this in jest:

That’s some DAPO stromberg.gif right there. Huge pet peeve of mine - tapping anything for SAE on a car that is 100% metric is unforgivable chair.gif

Think about the poor fool (i.e. me) that is trying to work on the car 15 years later and can’t figure out why a metric fastener won’t fit. hissyfit.gif

You’re a better man than that! Use a helicoil, tap it for M5 or even M6 but for the love of God - don’t use SAE.
FlacaProductions
Thanks Curt - i'll try 4mm.
It's in a little bit of a difficult place to tap, anyway - that seems a bit extreme no matter what thread.

The best thing would be to find the stupid screw - i'm sure after I find a 4mm to fit, it'll pop up.
windforfun
Come on now, how hard can it be to find the right hardware in this day & age? Don't be a DAPO!!!
Van B
Dab of silicone to close the hole and then you can walk away.

Fast forward a year from now, you see the screw and you can just install it.
930cabman
My apologies for heading into the DAPO territory. screwy.gif

thanks for the laughs btw
ClayPerrine
confused24.gif Why do you need a condenser with a pertronix????
FlacaProductions
that's EXACTLY why I need the screw, Clay - took the condenser off when the Pertronix went in...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 15 2022, 05:51 PM) *

that's EXACTLY why I need the screw, Clay - took the condenser off when the Pertronix went in...

Ok.. I get it. You want to fill the hole, not re-mount the condenser.

They are the same screw as used on the points wire bracket and the vacuum advance mounts. Take one out and go to your local Ace hardware. They can find you a screw with the same size length and thread pitch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.